Apple Seeds Safari 7.0.1 and 6.1.1 with Autofill and PDF Improvements to Developers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded a pair of Safari updates to developers, arriving as version 7.0.1 for OS X Mavericks users and version 6.1.1 for OS X Mountain Lion and Lion users.

[​IMG]
    Developers are asked to focus their testing on the following areas:

- General website compatibility
    - Accessibility
    - Viewing and annotating PDFs
    - Login autofill
    - Password autofill
    - Setting and using break points in Web Inspector

Word of Apple testing the Safari updates internally first surfaced earlier this month.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Safari 7.0.1 and 6.1.1 with Autofill and PDF Improvements to Developers

2. tywebb13, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

4. marcellux macrumors newbie

marcellux

safari

I hope they will fix an issue where Safari, when I swipe a page back or forth, ends up blank or on a wrong section of the previous / next page from where I was!

5. evorc, Nov 14, 2013

evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

I don't know why swipe back and forth still a pita up to this point. Can they not make it faster, smooth, and accurate? It has been an issue for a while. For crying out loud, the latest Firefox nailed the swipe back/forth functionality before them.

6. Robert.Walter, Nov 14, 2013

Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Hope they do something about iOS iCloud Keychain too. On some websites it is still not possible to save authentication data (auto filling it is another matter, as a first step, I want a 99% solution for saving.)

Also on sites that allow saving of such data, when one tries to update password, it is not always saved in the Keychain, and with no possibility to copy the auto suggest password before employing it, unless one writes it down, when the auto save function fails, one must begin the reset sequence again. I had 3 loops on Mac Rumors, wrote third time down but the auto save function worked.)

I would like additional columns in the list so I could store info like what address and phone nos or credit card data is on file at each site.

Secure notes syncing with my mac would be nice.

Was also having problems with password updates made on my one of my devices would not be synced out to all other devices in my constellation (Mac mini, MBA, iph4s, ipa3, ipaMi) after installing iOS 7.0.4, the ipaMi seems to be syncing again.

I also think the unlock code may be one level too low, such that it is not possible to get an overview of authentication data including passwords like is possible in the Mac (also not possible to sort this data which makes managing it on iOS a chore).

Final wish is that apple would reach out to top websites and campaign for them to adopt best practices for password length and complexity (including symbols), and convince them to support autofill. (Sites that block autofill or limit length or exclude symbols are only working against security by forcing users to stick to crappy passwords they can remember.)

Here endeth my wish-list.

Edit: before posting the above, I reset my Mac Rumors password (with my iPhone using the forced third time's the charm approach), and after finishing this note (posted from my iPhone), I checked if the new data had been synced into my ipaMini, it hadn't (nor the ipa3, or mac), so it would seem that my iPh is not pushing these changes out to the cloud. But when I manually put the data into my ipa3, it pushed it out to the ipaMi and the Mac.). All devices are running iOS 7.0.4 and the Mac is on OS X 10.9.thelatest; nothing is or has been jail broken.)

7. CrazyForApple macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

8. syd430 Guest

Is the "refresh every time when swiping back" fixed/changed yet? I left safari a long time ago because of this. I briefly checked safari in 10.9.0 but it's still there.

9. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I suppose then......

Safari for Windows is now defunct.....?.....:confused:.....Anyways, in situations with little RAM, Safari not precisely shines in Windows machines.....:eek:.....:(

:):apple:

10. blackboxxx macrumors regular

IIRC, Safari for Windows has been dead for about a year and a half now.

And with little RAM it doesn't shine on Macs either, in fact it was constantly consuming almost half of 4 GB while my MBP was on Mountain Lion. Now with separate processes per tab and compressed memory it's like night and day.

11. Barabas macrumors member

12. TeToslaw, Nov 14, 2013

TeToslaw macrumors regular

TeToslaw

I can see the new version of Safari on my developer account, but it doesn't appear in the "downloading list", so I just can't get it. :mad:

Edit: I was able to download latest build after reloading Safari. I can see no differences so far (it doesn't fell snappier ;))

13. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Ironic as it may seem, try logging in and downloading it through google chrome instead of safari. It seems to work better than safari.

14. LV426 macrumors 6502a

This is a matter of Safari trying to figure out on a particular web page what is a login form, what is a password update form, and which specific fields correspond to user names and passwords in the form.

Old websites that don't use modern coding standards can make it very difficult for Safari to guess. And that's exactly what it has to do: guess.

A simple example: an old-style website that presents a simple password field on a form. What does Safari do about that? Does Safari know that the web form requires the user to enter a password between seven and nine characters long, with no punctuation marks at the beginning? Chances are, no. So, Safari will put up its default strong password suggestion. If, after the form has been submitted, the website splats an error in the user's face, that's a problem. The password might have been keychained.

But... if the website has the correct annotations applied to form elements using modern coding styles, Safari doesn't have to guess. And it will get it right.

Likewise, as is the case with the bulletin board software used by this particular site, if the site mixes up password change features with other features like changing e-mail addresses (with its own validation) within the same form, that is a recipe for disaster if you're hoping to automate password saves. So, what do you expect Apple to do? Build a list of every popular website and know what its quirks are? That's not going to happen, I'm afraid.

Time will move on, websites will be updated to HTML 5, and if they're coded properly, Safari will have a fighting chance.

15. milo macrumors 604

Now they've sent out invites to appleseed for safari 6.1.1 as well as "mavericks updates". No actual downloads available yet. Not sure what they mean by that, if it's the safari update and maybe some other smaller updates, or if it's 10.9.1 or .2.

16. 3282868 macrumors 603

I still don't understand why, as an OS X developer for years and iOS since 08, they send me AppleSeed invites. I can't pass them along (or so I've been told). I'd expect better record keeping by Apple, or in the least allow us to pass it to someone who could use it.

17. milo macrumors 604

A number of developers participate in the appleseed program as well. I'm not sure why, maybe they just like those forums.

18. Ripcord83 macrumors member

this seems fixed for me.

19. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

Apple Quality Issues

I've been a big Apple fan for some years.

Unfortunately, recently I have been witnessing and realizing that Apple has lost touch with Quality. I never imagined they were perfect but I used to have almost no issues with any of their products softwares or services until just this past year. Since Steve Job's death little by little more and more of their apps from Safari through iTunes on the desktop and iOS and their devices 'just don't work'.

A crash here, spinning ball there, broken sensor here and there, hanging this or that. Gmail issues with Mail finally pushed me away from google but really you can't blame google. So their implementation is not standard, so what. They didn't change it and all the sudden mail doesn't work right. For the percent of the population that uses gmail you just do not release a new mail client that hasn't been fully tested against it. Then just this week I have been working with iTunes and match and trying to re-tag my library and more and more spinning balls and endless progress bars and retries and failures. Just a heap of issues here and there in all directions.

I'm starting to consider selling my stock and investing in something else.

Apologize for the venting. Just trying to come to terms with what I have been experiencing lately. As a embedded software/hardware developer myself I think Apple needs to step it up a bit and refocus on delivering quality. Take all the reports and complaints and gripes from all the forums on the web and rank them all and then just sit down top to bottom and knock them all out. And stop expanding the product lineup with new devices that have functional flaws until internally they have proven them out. :(