Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I love Chrome, but I don't ignore the fact that it 'phones home' and passes data on what I search and browse back to Google. I have nothing to hide so it doesn't really bother me, but those of you who use Chrome for more questionable browsing activities need to be aware that this data is permanently stored and logged. In theory this data could be used against you however extremely unlikely, but it's theoretically possible. So 'peace of mind' all depends on what you are actually doing and whether or not you care that it's all logged on Google's servers.

It goes without saying that everything you do is logged by your ISP anyway. However, Chrome Firefox & Safari should all provide a 'secure' browsing experience.

Hence the installation of Zenmate. Encrypted data both ways. :)

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
I hope Safari will finally stop crashing all
the time now. Has been unstable since Mountain Lion.

Um... yeah.

You're doing something wrong.

Try removing all the Safari plugins, extensions, etc. from your Mac and then see if Safari works better.

Incompatible extensions/plugins are the leading cause of issues in Safari, in my experience.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
New seed is out.

Safari 6.1.3 for OS X Lion requires OS X 10.7.5 with Security Update 2013-002. Safari 6.1.3 for OS X Mountain Lion requires OS X 10.8.5.
Safari 7.0.3 for OS X Mavericks requires OS X 10.9.2 and is also included in OS X 10.9.3.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Hope they sort out the speed issue. Running a fully specced iMac, an MBA & Mavericks and Safari is the slowest browser of Chrome, Firefox, Opera (Firefox being the quickest along with Opera). Safari hangs like a b****. Dont know what Apple have done but Safari it is the last browser I want to use on www. Added to the fact that Chrome has Zenmate added too gives me a more secure net experience and peace of mind.

Really? Safari and Firefox is the fastest on my macs, especially my 2012 MBA. Chrome is very laggy for one reason and often crashes.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Um... yeah.

You're doing something wrong.

Try removing all the Safari plugins, extensions, etc. from your Mac and then see if Safari works better.

Incompatible extensions/plugins are the leading cause of issues in Safari, in my experience.

I agree, but since the extensions are available from Apple itself they shouldn't be an issue

milohuang

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Safari 7 worked great for me in US, it never crashed, freezed, as well as my Air 13. But when I went back to my country, where the Internet sucks, Safari started to crash, the first time ever happened to my Air, then OS freeze and I had to restart. Then I found out every time my Mac crashes, Safari is the one to blame. Safari works like a nightmare when Internet is slow. Reading list won't save anything for you for offline reading. Page switching is lagging. All these were great when I am in US.

So I have to use Chrome, like what I did when I was using Windows. Chrome was a great browser, but nowadays, it sucks, as well as its new tab. Chrome's constantly trying to change your usual behavior and force you to use something that you don't want to. Sometime you can find a way to work around, but most of the time you cannot. But the best part is, it never crash or freeze for me. Well, it never crash which makes my OS freeze and I had to restart. So that's it. It sucks but in order to protect my Air, I had to go with Chrome. No, don't get me started with Firefox.

Really? Safari and Firefox is the fastest on my macs, especially my 2012 MBA. Chrome is very laggy for one reason and often crashes.

Oh I can definitely confirm that. Safari continually hangs. If I click any web page the page loading bar scrolls about a third of the way and hangs. The page remains blank. Then as it nears the end of the address bar the page suddenly loads. By that stage I have fired up Chrome and the same webpage and happily viewing what I need to view. I dont have time to hang around for Safari any longer. Doesnt matter what machine I run it on Chrome always out performs it. Never had an issue with Chrome at all and thats with extensions running aswell. Its no more resource hungry than Safari imo. How can it be if it runs faster! Dont know what Apple have done but Safari is a pos.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Oh I can definitely confirm that. Safari continually hangs. If I click any web page the page loading bar scrolls about a third of the way and hangs. The page remains blank. Then as it nears the end of the address bar the page suddenly loads. By that stage I have fired up Chrome and the same webpage and happily viewing what I need to view. I dont have time to hang around for Safari any longer. Doesnt matter what machine I run it on Chrome always out performs it. Never had an issue with Chrome at all and thats with extensions running aswell. Its no more resource hungry than Safari imo. How can it be if it runs faster! Dont know what Apple have done but Safari is a pos.

Was this without extensions in Safari? I saw the same thing you saw and narrowed it down to Adblock extensions. It'd hang and freeze on sites when i scroll down but once I deleted the extension, it was smooth as heck on all sites.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

What I wrote was the fact that Chrome constantly crashes on my MBA. Please read my comment before replying. As for power-hungriness, I find that on chrome my battery usually gets 2/3 of what I get on safari. I don't have any issues with Safari hanging or not loading half way. Are you still on Safari 6? Because 6 was a big lagger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.