Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS Big Sur 11.5 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming two weeks after the release of the first macOS Big Sur 11.5 beta.

macOS-Big-Sur-Feature-Blue.jpg

Developers can download the ‌‌‌‌macOS Big Sur‌‌‌‌ 11.5 beta using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper profile from the Apple Developer Center.

macOS Big Sur 11.5 may be a more minor update focusing on under-the-hood performance improvements and bug fixes for issues that weren't able to be addressed in the macOS Big Sur 11.4 update. No new features were found in the first beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS Big Sur 11.5 to Developers

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If you get this installed, goto terminal and enter "sysctl kern.version" so we can see if Apple has updated the kernel version from the first beta.

MacOS 11.14 release is Darwin Kernel Version 20.5.0 May 8
MacOS 11.5 beta 1 is Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0 May 10

I am curious if they introduced an updated kernel at all with this beta 2 after 2 weeks time. Occasionally see a graphics related reboot, so either their AMD drivers or kernel being used.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
If you get this installed, goto terminal and enter "sysctl kern.version" so we can see if Apple has updated the kernel version from the first beta.

MacOS 11.14 release is Darwin Kernel Version 20.5.0 May 8
MacOS 11.5 beta 1 is Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0 May 10

I am curious if they introduced an updated kernel at all with this beta 2 after 2 weeks time. Occasionally see a graphics related reboot, so either their AMD drivers or kernel being used.

Attachments

• beta.jpg
    beta.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 176

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I get this:

"An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."

Huh, my internet is working.

Edit: A restart resolved the issue which in a way confuses me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Awake from sleep (Login screen to Idle System) take ages, anyone has the same problem.
I awake my Mac, then input my password, first it takes long to see the User UI and then it can take more time to actually react to my input without the spinning wheel, I think it's Safari, I have maybe 50 tabs open.

• Haha

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
hmmmm - one day later, and I am still not seeing it. I have rebooted, and I have manually checked a few times, but I am still on version 11.5 Beta (20G5023d).

• Wow

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
hmmmm - one day later, and I am still not seeing it. I have rebooted, and I have manually checked a few times, but I am still on version 11.5 Beta (20G5023d).

Are you a developer? If not then the Public Beta is still not online, which is like to take place later today or later on Friday as that seems to be the historic deployments for the Public Betas.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Babygotfont I really don't get some people, people like you, there is not one single reason to downvote a post like I posted, someone asked a question, I gave accurate information, why downvote, beyond my comprehension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.