Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.5 update to developers, nearly two weeks after seeding the first beta and two weeks after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.4, which introduced Night Shift for the Mac.

macOS Sierra 10.12.5 can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

macOS-10.12.5-beta-800x500.jpg

According to the release notes accompanying the beta, the update "improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac."

Because Apple's release notes don't often provide much insight into what's included in new beta software, we don't yet know what features or bug fixes might be included in 10.12.5.

Nothing notable was discovered in the first beta, but should new features be discovered in the second macOS Sierra 10.12.5 beta, we'll update this post.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.5 to Developers

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It would be reallyyyy nice if they could release a detailed change-log for once other than "this update improves stability" bla bla so we know what to expect or what to look out for..

I agree, that's one of the reasons why I love the team running Safari Technology Preview, they do great release notes. I wish Apple'd do the same for all of their releases.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It would be reallyyyy nice if they could release a detailed change-log for once other than "this update improves stability" bla bla so we know what to expect or what to look out for..
Exactly, we don't need any security info but they need to be more transparent on what the specific fixes would be. I mean Apple fixing a bug or glitch is a good thing why hide it under a general broad statement, be more specific and transparent.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Exactly, we don't need any security info but they need to be more transparent on what the specific fixes would be. I mean Apple fixing a bug or glitch is a good thing why hide it under a general broad statement, be more specific and transparent.
I would like this with all updates including app updates. So often they say bug fixes and thats all.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
10.12.4 was a big deal for me. A lot of issues I've had with the Touch Bar and Thunderbolt 3 appears to have gone away. I had griped that the 2016 MBP was the most unstable Mac I have owned since the switch to Intel (that was pretty bumpy early on) each new release of Sierra, 10.12.4 in particular, has improved things.
  • No more randomly vanishing portions of the Touch Bar. (I was starting to think I had bad hardware.)
  • No more sleep/way system crashes while connected to Thunderbolt 2 or 3 devices.
  • Far less application crashing.
As others have stated, I wish they would be more detailed in their release notes.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
please let us know, what does not work this time. I think Apple should make benchmarks on all devices. So we can see how the performance is affected. Last updates were terrible on OSX and IOS

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
please let us know, what does not work this time. I think Apple should make benchmarks on all devices. So we can see how the performance is affected. Last updates were terrible on OSX and IOS

No, at least not for me - Retina 4K iMac and the latest macOS update VASTLY improved the overall speed and snappiness of the OS.

iOS no difference, which is a good thing as it runs beautifully as is on my iPad Mini 4.

That's what betas and reviewer testing's for - reviewers who download the latest and report in. But I get where you're coming from, sometimes it is a bit iffy not knowing what will and won't be improved etc.

Reactions: justperry

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No, at least not for me - Retina 4K iMac and the latest macOS update VASTLY improved the overall speed and snappiness of the OS.

iOS no difference, which is a good thing as it runs beautifully as is on my iPad Mini 4.

That's what betas and reviewer testing's for - reviewers who download the latest and report in. But I get where you're coming from, sometimes it is a bit iffy not knowing what will and won't be improved etc.

This, and iOS flies since the new file System.:)

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
The last beta broke touchID on the MBP.

I flattened and returned to stable releases on my machines and devices. Grew tired of testing (yes, I am fully aware beta = bugs). Was fun for a while, not anymore.

noelww

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
Australia
The next version seems to be a good place to include the use of the Apple Pencil on the trackpad of a MacBook Pro. Does Apple have any intention now with the touch bar operating system in operation?

Reactions: jb-net

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
10.12.4 fixed my audio jack issues. Everytime I woke my rMBP I had to unplug and plug again speakers or otherwise they weren't detected.

I just hope 10.12.5 doesn't break it again.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Yes but on 10.13 most likely.
I would say it's possible that Apple might release an update to Sierra before 10.13 that would update the File System but small chance in my oppinion.

I believe that the FS will be part of the features specific of the new OS...

in 10.12.4 when creating a partition for APFS using diskutil you no longer need to use the flag required in the past so I take that as an indicator that APFS is now feature complete and it is a matter of debugging along with getting everything else glued up such as time machine using snapshot, encryption using the APFS API etc.

Reactions: kissmo

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
in 10.12.4 when creating a partition for APFS using diskutil you no longer need to use the flag required in the past so I take that as an indicator that APFS is now feature complete and it is a matter of debugging along with getting everything else glued up such as time machine using snapshot, encryption using the APFS API etc.

Great!

This kind of comments are valuable!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.