Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS Ventura 13.2 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming four weeks after the release of the first macOS Ventura 13.2 beta.

Ventura-Macs-Feature-Red.jpg

Registered developers can download the beta through the Apple Developer Center and after the appropriate profile is installed, betas will be available through the Software Update mechanism in System Settings.

The macOS Ventura 13.2 update introduces support for Security Keys for the Apple ID, allowing users to verify their identity with physical hardware rather than a digital device code. Security Keys offer additional protection for the Apple ID, replacing the current verification codes provided on a secondary device when signing into a new device, signing into iCloud, using the Apple Store, and more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS Ventura 13.2 to Developers

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
MacOS 13.2 beta 2
  • Safari Version 16.3 (18614.4.4.1.4)
  • System Firmware Version: 8419.80.4.0.1 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 22.3.0: Wed Dec 21 21:59:24 PST 2022; root:xnu-8792.80.25.121.4~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64
MacOS 13.2 beta 1
  • Safari Version 16.2 (18614.4.1)
  • System Firmware Version: 8419.80.3 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 22.3.0: Sun Dec 4 18:16:43 PST 2022; root:xnu-8792.80.21.0.2~9/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Noticed the prep was taking a lot longer on my M1 Max 16 MBP compared to my 24" M1 iMac. Also the iMac shows a remarkably fast reboot to install comparably. Usually they perform the same.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I really hope they fix the mess with TB3 docks, USB-C connected displays and the new Apple Silicon Macs. But I am not holding my breath ...
This is why I'm not jumping on Ventura just yet until that is fixed as I use a TB4 dock from OWC and a USB-C connected LG monitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiderX

Confused-User

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2014
what mess is that, could you be so kind as to elaborate please?
It's not at the top of my priority list (fixing Mail.app would be my #1 issue, followed closely by the networking and WiFi system settings), but dock support is definitely somewhat mangled, at least in some configurations.

I have a TB3 dock, and often when I plug into it video doesn't go correctly to the monitor plugged into the dock. I have to reboot, or (perhaps, this isn't yet certain) make sure the laptop is open and running when I plug the dock in, as opposed to being asleep. I've heard of much worse weirdness than that, but haven't seen it myself.

Also sometimes when I wake from sleep video through the dock is offset left and flickering (unusable). I have to sleep and wake again for it to work.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have a sneaking suspicion this build does not include a fix Of immediately closing the tab I want to restore in safari. Or, that part works as intended? Which is worse.

harshw

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Huh? Running an external on my MBP 16" M1 Max no issues ever.
You're one of the lucky ones. Look at the forums - they're littered with folks complaining about how the M1 xxx macs don't behave well - sometimes even with Apple's OWN displays. The common theme seems to be Monterey and the TB4 link ...

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
The only feature I'm looking forward to is Apple Music Classical and security key support. I haven't heard about anything else that excites me.
Classical support will be most welcome.

As will fixes to 4K monitor support as I still don’t dare update for fear of my LG monitors not working.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
the only feature I'm looking forward to see in the next update is bug fixes.

I mean, seriously.

Some of them are in macOS since Big Sur/Catalina even Monterey (the unresponsive App Switcher when the spinning wheel is on screen) so... let's welcome to another basket of bugs!

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
You're one of the lucky ones. Look at the forums - they're littered with folks complaining about how the M1 xxx macs don't behave well - sometimes even with Apple's OWN displays. The common theme seems to be Monterey and the TB4 link ...
I'm curious how external displays behave in M2, as in M1 sucks. 3 screens 3 different problems since plugged to the Mac Studio (they run perfect on my rMBP 2012)

They should be fixed in the latest Apple Silicon chip...

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
It's not at the top of my priority list (fixing Mail.app would be my #1 issue, followed closely by the networking and WiFi system settings), but dock support is definitely somewhat mangled, at least in some configurations.

I have a TB3 dock, and often when I plug into it video doesn't go correctly to the monitor plugged into the dock. I have to reboot, or (perhaps, this isn't yet certain) make sure the laptop is open and running when I plug the dock in, as opposed to being asleep. I've heard of much worse weirdness than that, but haven't seen it myself.

Also sometimes when I wake from sleep video through the dock is offset left and flickering (unusable). I have to sleep and wake again for it to work.
How many monitors do you have? I have similar behavior with 3 or more monitors. Dual display is fine is okay though.

harshw

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
What mess? I am running two TB3 docks each with an LG screen attached via TB/USB-C and it works flawlessly.
I have a 2019 Intel MBP and a 2021 M1MBP 16. Both are attached to dual 4K monitors via TB3 docks

The Intel MBP works flawlessly - but the M1 MBP has always been troublesome.

Under MacOS 12 - it would not reliably wake up any connected displays in clamshell mode unless you disconnected the TB3 cable and reconnected.

But under MacOS 13 - the M1MBP is near useless. Any time the M1 goes into deep sleep and wakes up - it will not wake up the connected displays. You can try to reconnect and disconnect the TB3 cable. You can even try plugging in the monitors directly via USB-C but the only thing that cures it is a reboot

I've tried 3 different docks (OWC, Kensington and CalDigit) and different monitors (HP Envy 4K & LG UL850). Also tried different TB3 cables (Caldigit, Choetech, CableMatters) - all with the same result. And I'm not alone. There's quite a few folks on the forums with similar tales of woe about USB-C connected monitors. So looking to see if Apple fixes these issues with the point releases of Ventura ...

Reactions: saltukkos

harshw

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
I'm curious how external displays behave in M2, as in M1 sucks. 3 screens 3 different problems since plugged to the Mac Studio (they run perfect on my rMBP 2012)

They should be fixed in the latest Apple Silicon chip...

The M1 Macs use Apple's own implementation of Thunderbolt and that could be the cause. If so, maybe they will fix it in the M2 - but in this case, I now have a $5,000 paperweight and need to fork over cash for a M2 laptop. On the other hand, all this did work to a degree under MacOS 12 - it was MacOS 13 that made everything worse. So really hoping that there's a software fix possible

I find the symptoms can be reduced (but not eliminated) by not having the laptop sleep so easily and also by changing  > System Settings > Privacy & Security > "Allow accessories to connect" to "Always"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.