Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.3 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the first beta and two weeks after releasing the tvOS 11.2.5 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode and Apple Configurator.

tvos113beta.jpg

The tvOS 11.3 update introduces support for AirPlay 2, allowing the Apple TV to be added to the Home app as part of a HomeKit setup.

With AirPlay 2, you can play a song on multiple Apple TVs in different rooms, and when AirPlay 2 officially launches, that same functionality will extend to other AirPlay 2 devices like HomePod and AirPlay 2 compatible speakers.

Other new features in tvOS 11.3 include enhancements to Match Content support, automatic frame rate switching on the fourth-generation Apple TV, and automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions.

Update: tvOS 11.3 beta 2 fixes a bug that caused the Play/Pause button on the Apple TV Siri Remote not to function properly.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 11.3 to Developers

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
iOS like to update but I’m afraid it’ll slow it down. Is it even worth updating? I mean it works just fine out of the box.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
My option to download betas on my Apple TV has disappeared this morning. I have gone to the Apple site. And unenrolled. And re enrolled. And for some reason under system there is no beta option on both my Apple 4K boxes. Not sure how to fix it.

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
My option to download betas on my Apple TV has disappeared this morning. I have gone to the Apple site. And unenrolled. And re enrolled. And for some reason under system there is no beta option on both my Apple 4K boxes. Not sure how to fix it.
I have same problem no updates for ATV 4K
[doublepost=1517942888][/doublepost]
I have same problem no updates for ATV 4K
update for 4th Gen appeared with out any delay
[doublepost=1517944635][/doublepost]to get this beta installed on ATV 4K had to remove current profile download XCODE beta 9.3 beta 2 repair it with MAC then reinstall profile even though I was running TV OS 11.3 beta 1

Last edited:

georgeedwardg

macrumors member
May 19, 2011

Same here. Both Apple TV 4’s (non-4K) running iOS 11.3 PB1 have lost the option to “Get Beta Updates.”

Reactions: PastaPrimav

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Does anyone have any explanation as to why "Get Beta Updates" is now missing on 11.3 beta 1 (and thusly not seeing a beta 2 update)?

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
do you have a developer account or are you on public beta?
'
if you have developer account remove profile unpair MAC download new beta Xcode and configurator and repair then install new profile
Slow down. Can you explain a little better as to what is actually needed?

I thought Apple did a better job of improving the provisioning of Apple TV now that the 4K model ships without a USB port?

Shouldn't Apple Configurator be all that is needed?

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
you need to pair it to XCODE via wireless before you can pair to Configurator.

See this article
https://developer.apple.com/support/beta-software/install-tvos-beta/

A
pple has made this ver overly complicated also it is not possible to revert to a released version once the new beta has been install on Apple TV 4K..so do put to on just to try it if there are bugs you are stuck till next beta comes out

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Apple TV has been paired via Xcode.

Apple Configurator allows me to remove and install the new profile.

After reboot, still no OTA update available on the device.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
iOS like to update but I’m afraid it’ll slow it down. Is it even worth updating? I mean it works just fine out of the box.
^^^^so why updated it and take a chance? just look at the prior fix "fixes a bug that caused the Play/Pause button on the Apple TV Siri Remote not to function properly." this is the king stuff you will need put up with beta releases.

And still no news on Atmos.......

"Just one software update away" allows the ambiguity of WHICH update: the next one?, the one after that?, the one after that? and so on. It's a great way to somewhat quiet a tangible gripe by making it sound like it's an impending update but then getting to it or not whenever.

My guess? If it ever arrives, it will probably be a feature only available in :apple:TV 6 (exclusivity to the 6 for no good reason, but bigger "updates" that don't arrive quickly usually wait for the next hardware upgrade cycle with rare exception). I'll hope that's NOT the case this time.

Reactions: bwlmog

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
I still have no option to Get Betas, this is crazy once this beta cycle is complete outta the beta game across all my devices. To big of a pain in the butt.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Still not showing up on my AppleTV 4K
I’m actually wondering in a way if Apple did this on purpose. Cause it was there yesterday where it said beta in system settings. And it’s not there today, the same day they release the beta. So perhaps they did this on purpose?

Maybe there is a reason they don’t want people upgrading certain Apple tv’s? Especially if you have a 4K box and it bricks the device. They decided, we will remove that option from them to prevent them from doing it. And having to send it back to Apple.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I’m actually wondering in a way if Apple did this on purpose. Cause it was there yesterday where it said beta in system settings. And it’s not there today, the same day they release the beta. So perhaps they did this on purpose?

Maybe there is a reason they don’t want people upgrading certain Apple tv’s? Especially if you have a 4K box and it bricks the device. They decided, we will remove that option from them to prevent them from doing it. And having to send it back to Apple.

I actually fixed it, I deleted the profile, did a reset (still had 11.3 beta 1), let everything install when restoring the home screen from iCloud, then reinstalled the developer beta profile and then the update showed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.