Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 12.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 12.1 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the first update and a little over two weeks after releasing the tvOS 12 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 12.1 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

We're not yet sure what fixes and changes the tvOS 12.1 update might bring, but it's likely to focus on bugs that have been discovered since the release of tvOS 12. No new changes were discovered in the first tvOS 12.1 beta.

Apple's tvOS updates have historically been minor in scale, and Apple does not often provide us with detailed notes outlining what's new. We'll update this post should anything be found in the second beta.

Update: Apple has also seeded the second beta of tvOS 12.1 to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 12.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
The lack of attention given to this platform is truly tragic. The new gen Apple TV is one of the best devices apple has come out with in a long time (along with the AirPods) but there’s so much low hanging fruit ready to be harvested on the platform.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Almost certainly any changes except for the first big version change are just to keep up with underlying iOS core changes. I don’t expect anything useful to be added until iOS 13. And even then there probably won’t be much.

Braderunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
I wonder if there will ever be an Apple TV Remote app for the Watch. Either that, or add a Siri button and volume control to "Now Playing". I can't believe this hasn't happened yet. :eek:

Reactions: liberte1776

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Biggest issue on 12.0 is that CEC only intermittently works to turn on my Yamaha receiver along with my TV when I wake my ATV 4K from sleep. *grumble* Hope they fix it!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The lack of attention given to this platform is truly tragic. The new gen Apple TV is one of the best devices apple has come out with in a long time (along with the AirPods) but there’s so much low hanging fruit ready to be harvested on the platform.
Curious as to what that low hanging fruit is in your view.

tvOS has really come into its own in the past few years. While I can see some polishes or smaller features here and there, I can’t really think of any significant improvements.

Perhaps we’ll see a further shift towards the TV app as the new home screen. It functions as an aggregator of content within apps. It works really well.

I see tvOS as following watchOS’s template. You might think they couldn’t be any more different but the underlying model is the same. On AppleWatch, the Watch Face is the main screen where information is present and app content is consumed. On AppleTV, the TV app is the “Watch Face” where information is present and app content is consumed. On both platforms, the app screen is a secondary way of accessing apps.

I can imagine Apple further solidifying that model in an upcoming tvOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayderek

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Greatest Country on Earth
I just want to be able to have the remote respond during the annoying animations...it makes my 4K ATV feel so slow having to wait or click/swipe everything 2-3 times. I know the hardware is plenty capable of responding as fast as I do. Disabling the app switcher so it functions like the 3rd gen ATV would also be amazing, but I know that'll never happen, sadly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.