Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 12 to Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 12 update to its public beta testing group, giving non-developers a chance to try out the new software ahead of its fall public release. Today's second beta comes one week after Apple released the first public beta, and it corresponds to the third developer beta released earlier this week.

The tvOS 12 public beta can be obtained by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

[​IMG]

tvOS 12 introduces long-awaited support for Dolby Atmos, and when tvOS 12 launches this fall, iTunes will be home to the largest collection of Dolby Atmos-supported movies. As with the launch of 4K HDR, previously purchased content will be upgraded to include Dolby Atmos on all supported titles at no cost.

tvOS 12 includes a zero sign-on feature that lets cable subscribers watch live channels and on-demand programs they're entitled to through their cable subscription simply by being logged into their home internet networks. This feature will be limited to Charter Spectrum users to begin with, but Apple plans to expand it to additional providers in the future.

Other tvOS 12 features include the ability to autofill passwords from the iPhone to sign into Apple TV apps more quickly, and support for Home Control systems like Crestron and Savant, which will be able to be used to control the Apple TV.

Apple has also made the Apple TV Remote a default option in Control Center on iOS devices with the iOS 12 beta, there are new aerial screensavers created with help from the International Space Station, and aerial screensavers now offer up location information.

tvOS 12 will see a public launch this fall, and until that time, will be limited to developers and public beta testers as Apple works out bugs and other kinks.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 12 to Public Beta Testers

2. hlevolve macrumors member

hlevolve

I'm hoping this fixes the select few issues that I saw in Beta 1...

Those were only the app store acting up a bit when trying to search for apps or download apps. And app updates don't want to work correctly either without restarting the phone just prior to doing it. Also saw some glitchyness with GIF images but so far that's been about it. I'll hold off on this update until tomorrow probably just to be sure there is nothing crazy going on with apps/services that I use.

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Did you send Apple feedback on these issues?

4. hlevolve macrumors member

hlevolve

Yes, and they actually sent me an email saying some of them are fixed in this version so I’m downloading now to test it out.

5. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Every time I try to update it fails almost immediately, never had this problem before.

6. Banglazed macrumors 65816

Banglazed

With the public beta release, Aerial screen saver now shows the description of each saver.

7. Lax608 macrumors member

Lax608

I have a full Atmos set up and I just upgraded to the latest public beta and I cannot get atmos on any movie. Not sure what the problem is. I have tried turning Atmos on and off in settings and restarting the Apple TV. Nothing seems to work. When I watch Kong: Skull Island, it doesn’t say Atmos when I pull down the info and the input is PCM and output is Dolby Digital on my pioneer elite receiver. If anyone has any tideas of what I may be missing, that would be great.