Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 14.3 Update to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 14.3 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming one week after Apple released the first beta.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 14.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the ‌‌‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌‌‌ via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

Other than new releases, tvOS updates are often minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. There's no word yet on what's included in tvOS 14.3 update, but we'll update this article should anything new be found. Nothing new was discovered in the first beta.

Though we don't often know what's new in tvOS during the beta testing process, we let MacRumors readers know when new updates are available so those who are developers can download it upon release.

Apple's tvOS 14 update brought expanded Picture in Picture support, new HomeKit integration with HomeKit Secure Video cameras, support for multiple Apple Arcade profiles, and more, with details available in our tvOS 14 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 14.3 Update to Developers

Apple TV User

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020
Amsterdam
tvOS updates, while indeed minor, have been quite useful recently.

One thing I'd really like to see still is a universal volume bar for all your attached speaker sources (like HomePod + TV speakers). iOS essentially has this, and I would love to see this on the ATV.

Failing such universal volume, a nice alternative (or perhaps addition) would be a way to easily switch between the volume controls for your different speakers. It's possible now (swipe down on a screen that plays video, then deselect the speakers you don't want to control, set the volume, select the other speakers again), but it's a bit of a hassle.

Another very useful improvement would be to dedicate channels to your speakers, like TV speakers as center, and your left and right HomePods as front/rear left and right.

Reactions: MiamiC70
Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Hopefully it fixes how bad mirroring has become. Its a crapshoot if it will work that day.

Comment

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Looking forward to it. The bluetooth disconnecting when the ATV goes to sleep has been annoying. Previously my speaker would remain connected for months unless I lost power or something.

Comment

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Does it fix all the bugs in the AppleTV app with large libraries, box sets, etc.?

It's only been 2 years....

Comment

srbNYC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Does anyone know if a software update could technically allow Apple to add a "Mute" function on the Apple TV remote, say, with a double-click of the down-volume button?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.