Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 17.2 to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming two weeks after the release of the first tvOS 17.2 beta.

Apple-TV-2022-Feature-Blue.jpg

Registered developers are able to download the tvOS 17.2 update by opting in to the beta through the Settings app on the Apple TV. A registered developer account is required.

tvOS updates are often minor in scale compared to other operating system updates, focusing primarily on bug fixes and smaller improvements rather than notable outward-facing changes, but tvOS 17.2 introduces an overhauled Apple TV app.

The app now includes a sidebar that houses content from both Apple's services and streaming services that integrate with the tvOS Watch Now feature. There are dedicated sections for Search, Watch Now, ‌Apple TV+‌, MLS Season Pass, Sports, the Store, and the Library at the top of the sidebar, along with dedicated sections for streaming services like ABC, CBS, Comedy Central, Hulu, ESPN, Discovery, Peacock, Prime Video, and more.

You can click into each streaming service to see content that's available specifically on that service, and there's also a new My TV section that replaces "My Channels."

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 17.2 to Developers

• Haha
Reactions: alpi123

wplynx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I’ll be testing as soon as I get home. Since using the HomePods on this beta has been bad.

wplynx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
It‘s not fixed for me on beta 2. However, 5.1 center chanel works for some movies and doesn‘t for others (it was already like this on beta 1).
Do they sound harsh? For me the pair of HomePods setup. Sounds a bit tinny. Kinda hard to explain. But definitely didn’t sound right. Like can you tell there’s a definite change ?

alchemicapper

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2023
Does Apple even care about Apple TV or unit test except to sell their content anymore? Dictation is broken. Trying to dictate inside an app shows the “Search Movies, Shows, and More” which I don’t care about and don’t want to see and can’t turn off

Reactions: eas

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
I wonder if this will fix the problems AirPlaying to other devices that they introduced in 17.

hsoj1006

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
Still not fixed. Center channel works for Atmos content, but 5.1 LPCM streams are still broken.
Not working for me. I had to force ATV o be DD5.1 to hear out of my center channel. Thanks goodness I saw this, because I was wondering what happened!

Reactions: pettit03

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
tvOS brought new life back into my fourth generation HD, some of the games now play much faster and don't staccato like tvOS 16 did. I don't know how they're doing it, squeaking more performance out of it. :p

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
When I am in any individual app’s screen, and I try to hold the microphone down to dictate my search, it seems to activate the system Siri instead of dictation in the app’s search bar. Have encountered this on several TV apps.

Reactions: whirldy and NetMage

hsoj1006

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
When I am in any individual app’s screen, and I try to hold the microphone down to dictate my search, it seems to activate the system Siri instead of dictation in the app’s search bar. Have encountered this on several TV apps.
Yep! This beta has a ton of bugs!

Reactions: srbNYC and whirldy

whirldy

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Within
Anyone experiencing a bug when using the search function in any app? It's defaulting to Siri and not the regular search field.

Reactions: srbNYC

whirldy

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Within
Same here. ugh!

Reactions: srbNYC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.