Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Second Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Update to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS 10.15.4 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the first beta and two weeks after releasing macOS Catalina 10.15.3.

The new ??macOS Catalina?? beta can be downloaded using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper software from the Developer Center.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4 includes Screen Time Communication Limits, a feature first brought to the iPhone in the iOS 13.3 update, and it brings a new Head Pointer Accessibility option that allows the cursor to be controlled with head movements using the Mac's camera.

References to AMD processors have also been discovered in the macOS 10.15.4 beta, leading to speculation that Apple is working on AMD-based Macs, but these references could simply be for internal testing rather than evidence of an AMD Mac.

Though not directly related to macOS Catalina 10.15.4, Apple is adding a new universal purchase option for macOS and iOS apps, which will allow Apple device users to purchase one app that works across multiple platforms.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Update to Developers

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Yay! I'm still waiting to jump on the Catalina bandwagon. I got a brand new 2019 5K iMac and not running any special apps, but after the bad start for Catalina (to say the least) and crashing macs while upgrading (remember that!) I am a bit anxious to upgrade.

Also, I am still playing Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun from CNCNet, which apparently is 64-bit but the game itself is not ??‍♂️, because the first time i opened it on Mojave I got the "This app is not compatible with future versions of MacOS" warning.

*sad nerd noises*

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
This fix the issue where you can’t connect to network shares after disconnecting (unless you restart finder, restart the sharingd, or connect by IP address)?

Reactions: bernuli
Comment

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
I was gonna ask exactly the same, is impossible to use my MacBook Pro 16-inch with an external monitor because of the discrete GPU issue.

It should not be IMPOSSIBLE in non-clamshell mode and with the correct/appropriate adapters. It may not work as effectively or efficiently as anyone wants, or at your desired resolution(s) and/or refresh rates but it should 100% work in some capacity.

If you cannot get ANY display to function externally on a separate external monitor, take your machine to Apple and get it replaced.

Comment

sugargliderdude

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2019
Comment

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
It should not be IMPOSSIBLE in non-clamshell mode and with the correct/appropriate adapters. It may not work as effectively or efficiently as anyone wants, or at your desired resolution(s) and/or refresh rates but it should 100% work in some capacity.

If you cannot get ANY display to function externally on a separate external monitor, take your machine to Apple and get it replaced.

C'mon, man...If it doesn't work at the desired resolution or refresh rates *for which it was designed to work*, then *it doesn't work," period. That's the kind of answer one would expect from an Apple Genius Bar dweeb.

Reactions: alps.villar
Comment

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
There's a HUGE difference between can't get ANY display to work and can't get display to work the way someone wants. I'm not saying it should't be fixed, but one signals a likely software/driver issue, the other signals hardware.

Comment

alps.villar

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
I was gonna ask exactly the same, is impossible to use my MacBook Pro 16-inch with an external monitor because of the discrete GPU issue.

same here. I even experienced frozen black screen, and full-screen rainbow noise. Only solution is reboot!
[automerge]1582147179[/automerge]

[automerge]1582147486[/automerge]
I am also experiencing frequent disconnect problems with Magic Mouse on my MacBook Pro 16. Resetting the bluetooth hardware works as a temporary fix until next time I reboot the machine. Anyone experiencing same ?

Last edited:
Comment

mxrider88

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Can you sync properly a $2000 iPhone now or still not possible?
It’s not a needed feature but it would be nice to have it..
Just being sarcastic...

Put your s*** together Apple. Software sucks at the moment.

Comment

macintoshmac

macrumors 601
May 13, 2010
Still don’t dare to upgrade to Catalina. It keeps sounding like a big bag of hurt.

Depends on how individuals use it. For the enterprise, Catalina can become a hot mess really quickly in some cases. For personal uses, if one uses 32-bit apps or some apps that are 64-bit but aren't maintained or updated, Catalina may not be what one needs.

For my modest requirements, upgrading from Mojave to Catalina has not caused me any headache at all. Not one bit. As of 10.15.3 it is smoother and better overall. Again, for my use case, and it is a fact that Apple's macOS has been on a decline over the years in general. There has come to be a seed of doubt in users' mind when it comes to updating and upgrading macOS and that is not a good thing.

Reactions: Lone Deranger
Comment

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
There has come to be a seed of doubt in users' mind when it comes to updating and upgrading macOS and that is not a good thing.

That's true. When i got my first iMac, it ran OS X Lion and when Mountain Lion was released i bought it the same evening! Same with Mavericks. I was a little hesitant to update to Yosemite because I wasn't (and still am not) a big fan of the 'iOS7' look of it. I believe i updated with the .1 release. And after that and reading about some troubles people ran into i never have updated to .0 releases anymore. But since the scathing reviews Catalina got from users (and beta testers) and how smooth my Mojave system was (is) i didn't feel the urge to update right away. But i'm setting my eyes on 10.15.4 and until that time i will play my C&C game daily :)

Comment

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Depends on how individuals use it. For the enterprise, Catalina can become a hot mess really quickly in some cases. For personal uses, if one uses 32-bit apps or some apps that are 64-bit but aren't maintained or updated, Catalina may not be what one needs.

For my modest requirements, upgrading from Mojave to Catalina has not caused me any headache at all. Not one bit. As of 10.15.3 it is smoother and better overall. Again, for my use case, and it is a fact that Apple's macOS has been on a decline over the years in general. There has come to be a seed of doubt in users' mind when it comes to updating and upgrading macOS and that is not a good thing.

Thank you for your input. For now I'm fine holding off, so I guess I can wait a little longer.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.