Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming watchOS 10.1 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming a week after the release of the first watchOS 10.1 beta.

Apple-Watch-Faces-watchOS-10-Feature-Blue.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 10‌.1 update, developers will need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the ‌watchOS 10‌.1 Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required.

Once beta updates have been activated, ‌watchOS 10.1‌ can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

watchOS 10.1 adds NameDrop support for sharing contact information with another Apple Watch or an iPhone.

NameDrop can be used by tapping into the Apple Watch Contacts app, selecting your profile, and tapping on the "Share" option. From there, touching the Apple Watch to another Apple Watch running watchOS 10.1 or an iPhone running iOS 17 will initiate a contact transfer.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of watchOS 10.1 to Developers

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

dfoxinator

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
I'm very excited to try double tap, downloading now! Does anyone know how to enable double tap for a watchos app that I built? Is there any documentation? I've had trouble finding any.

lifjoy

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011

dfoxinator

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Apple updated gesture specifications to include double tap in watchOS:
https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/gestures

My guess is that you'd define a UIGestureRecognizer (maybe a UITapGestureRecognizer?) and attach it to a view that implements UIGestureRecognizerDelegate.
Thanks so much for this info! I don't have a lot of experience developing watchos apps, but I just made my first one (before double tap was announced) and then they announced it and it's like perfect for double tap. I will try to do what you explained here and report back, hopefully able to get it working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.