Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming watchOS 11 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming two weeks after the first beta was released following the WWDC 2024 keynote.

watchOS-11-Thumb-2-1.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 11 update, developers need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the watchOS 11 Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required.

Once beta updates have been activated, watchOS 11 can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

watchOS 11 introduces a new Vitals app that aggregates health metrics collected during sleep like heart rate and respiratory rate, providing day-to-day health insights to track whether something has changed. There's also a Training Load feature for monitoring the intensity of workouts and how that impacts the body over time.

The Smart Stack has been updated with new widgets and support for Live Activities and Translate, plus it is better able to suggest widgets based on time and daily routine. The Photos watch face includes suggestions for the best images to use, and the Check In safety feature now works with Workouts.

Activity Rings can be customized to change the goals for each day, and there is an option to pause for rest days or when ill without losing an activity streak. Double Tap now works for navigating through apps with one hand, and Apple Maps lets users create their own walking and hiking routes.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of watchOS 11 to Developers

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Anyone actually able to pull the watchOS update? All I get when going into the software update area is "unable to check for updates because you are not connected to the internet" (I am).

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
I’ll be going to the 2nd iOS 18 beta tonight will likely still be holding off on this one until I get word about how the battery life of the iPhone 15 Pro or Max running the latest beta when used in conjunction with this beta holds up.

I’ve been purposely holding off on installing the watchOS 11 beta after reading through the forums here and in other sites where it seemed that the battery life on the iPhone 15 Pro and Max took a big hit when it was used on a device connected to an Apple Watch also running a watchOS beta so I’ve moved to the iOS 18 beta only and the battery life has been fine for a beta but I think that’s because I held off of the watchOS beta.

I’m away from home long enough during the work day that some battery drain is fine but if it’s massive that’s about the only red line for me.

CPmav

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
Anyone having issues downloading it? It keeps telling me the download will resume once it has a connection. Been connected the entire time (to my iPhone and WiFi).

Taluner

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Northern California

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming watchOS 11 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming two weeks after the first beta was released following the WWDC 2024 keynote.

watchOS-11-Thumb-2-1.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 11 update, developers need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the watchOS 11 Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required.

Once beta updates have been activated, watchOS 11 can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

watchOS 11 introduces a new Vitals app that aggregates health metrics collected during sleep like heart rate and respiratory rate, providing day-to-day health insights to track whether something has changed. There's also a Training Load feature for monitoring the intensity of workouts and how that impacts the body over time.

The Smart Stack has been updated with new widgets and support for Live Activities and Translate, plus it is better able to suggest widgets based on time and daily routine. The Photos watch face includes suggestions for the best images to use, and the Check In safety feature now works with Workouts.

Activity Rings can be customized to change the goals for each day, and there is an option to pause for rest days or when ill without losing an activity streak. Double Tap now works for navigating through apps with one hand, and Apple Maps lets users create their own walking and hiking routes.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of watchOS 11 to Developers
I’m curious to see if there is any increase to the Apple Watch battery life with beta 2. I have both the iPhone beta on my 15 pro max and the Watch beta on my first gen ultra. iPhone has only had a minimal reduction in battery life, but my first gen ultra has had its battery life practically cut in half!

Reactions: dchronus

fer_schez

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
República Dominicana
For those having trouble getting the watchOS 11 beta 2 , try deleting the downloaded music on your Apple Watch, I fixed it by doing that.

Attachments

• IMG_9168.png
    IMG_9168.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 23

gomichaelgo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Had zero issues with the first beta. However since the second beta, my watch face that shows activity rings is frozen. It won’t show additional standing hours, the move or active minutes.

dchronus

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
All I can hope for is that battery life issues are better all around on beta 2s. It's been rough for the past couple of weeks on my phone and my watch.

Downloading now :)

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
All I can hope for is that battery life issues are better all around on beta 2s. It's been rough for the past couple of weeks on my phone and my watch.

Downloading now :)
Hate to disappoint but beta 2 battery is worse than beta 1 for me so far on a watch 7, but that’s because beta 1 was barely any different to what I was getting on watchOS 10.

Activity app seems a lot less laggy in beta 2 so far - I was having to wait ages for it to refresh my rings on beta 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.