Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming watchOS 4.3.1 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after releasing the first watchOS 4.3.1 beta and three weeks after releasing watchOS 4.3.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS 4.3.1 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

watchos431beta-800x504.jpg

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

Shortly before watchOS 4.3.1 was introduced, Apple stopped allowing developers to update Apple Watch apps built on the original watchOS 1 SDK. In watchOS 4.3.1, there's an alert when launching a watchOS 1 app that warns that the app may not be compatible with future versions of watchOS. This suggests Apple may drop support for watchOS 1 apps entirely in the future, just as it did with support for 32-bit iOS apps in iOS 11.

Code hidden within watchOS 4.3.1 suggests Apple is working on introducing support for custom third-party watch faces, but this is likely a feature that would be introduced as part of a major watchOS 5 update rather than through watchOS 4.3.1.

There were no other new features discovered in watchOS 4.3.1, which is unsurprising as this is a minor 4.x.x update. It's likely this update focuses primarily on bug fixes to address issues discovered since the release of watchOS 4.3.

Apple does not provide detailed release notes for watchOS, so we may not know what's included in the update until it sees a public release.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of watchOS 4.3.1 to Developers

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
3rd party with faces...

So so so far behind android wear in this feature yet so easy to implement.

Easy to implement? I wouldn't be so sure. Apple is a stickler for battery management on the Watch as well as security. Those are their top concerns on the Watch. A watch face could be a disaster for both of those.

Saying that, it's been several years now, and all this should have been well thought out for execution by WatchOS 4.

Saying that, it's been several years now, and all this should have been well thought out for execution by WatchOS 4.

Sure if it had been a goal. But I'm sure there has been a lot of internal debate about whether to do it or not which stalled implementation.

Honestly for me, I'd prefer always-on display than 3rd party faces (of course I'm not implying these are mutually exclusive)

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Sure if it had been a goal. But I'm sure there has been a lot of internal debate about whether to do it or not which stalled implementation.

Honestly for me, I'd prefer always-on display than 3rd party faces (of course I'm not implying these are mutually exclusive)

My guess is they had planned on doing more high end luxury brand watch face collaborations but couldn’t come to terms with enough high end brands.

With my brief experience with android wear that was one of the first things I’ve noticed was the amount of 3rd party brand faces you could use with your watch.

Even allowing your own wallpaper with complications would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
People saying that 3rd party watch faces will drain batteries faster are wrong. Apple could easily introduce battery consumption metrics (just like those already in OS X and probably under the hood of iOS) and simply include them in approval process. If your watch face consumes too much power, it is denied access to app store.

Just take a look at all custom Pebble watch faces. I know it ueses different panel and all of them would look better on AW, but just realize the potential and ideas. Some of them are really great. I wouldn't look at Android wearable store as this platform never took off and most of watch faces are copy-paste knock offs submitted by kiddies.

Reactions: decypher44

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
since installing watchOS 3, when I shutdown my series 2 Watch and turn it on again, 50% of the time it gets stuck on the Apple logo even if I wait 10 minutes. If I force the reboot, it's fine most of the time. and yes, I already did a reset without restoring any backup and also without installing any app.
I don't remember having that problem with watchOS 4.2.x before.

Anyone know if this beta fixes this specific problem?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
How’s the battery life with this beta. I’m still on 4.3 and want to know if I should jump off the beta cycle now or if it’s, relatively, safe to install 4.3.1 b2.

Anyone wanting to debate that only developers should install this don’t waste your breath. I’m fully aware of the consequences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.