Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second betas of upcoming iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1 updates to developers, almost a month after seeding the first betas and several weeks after the release of iOS 13.3 with Communication Limits for Screen Time.

iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1 can be downloaded from the Apple Developer center or over the air once the proper developer profile has been installed.

ryanscoolios13thumbnail-800x450.jpg

There's no word yet on what's in the iOS 13.3.1 update, but it likely includes bug fixes for issues unable to be addressed in the iOS 13.3 update. Specifically, it could address some issues with Communication Limits, fixing a workaround with the Contacts app that allowed children text someone who contacted them from an unknown number. There's also a new "Play Again" button when replaying content that you've already watched in the TV app.

No other notable new features were found in the first betas of iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1, but we'll update this article should anything new be found in the second betas.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Betas of iOS 13.3.1 and iPadOS 13.3.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Last edited:

thatguykal

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020

Apple today seeded the second betas of upcoming iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1 updates to developers, almost a month after seeding the first betas and several weeks after the release of iOS 13.3 with Communication Limits for Screen Time.

iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1 can be downloaded from the Apple Developer center or over the air once the proper developer profile has been installed.

ryanscoolios13thumbnail-800x450.jpg

There's no word yet on what's in the iOS 13.3.1 update, but it likely includes bug fixes for issues unable to be addressed in the iOS 13.3 update. Specifically, it could address some issues with Communication Limits, fixing a workaround with the Contacts app that allowed children text someone who contacted them from an unknown number.

No notable new features were found in the first betas of iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1, but we'll update this article should anything new be found in the second betas.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Betas of iOS 13.3.1 and iPadOS 13.3.1 to Developers
Catalina Beta is live too

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
No release notes for anything either.
So annoying that they can’t be arsed to document what changes have been made.
Beta release notes are generally intended to document bugs impacting development and testing on iOS devices but will sometimes include more serious user-facing bugs, at Apple’s discretion. Minor bug fixes and/or security updates will be published with the public release.

Will Tisdale 🎗

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2019
Selby, UK
Beta release notes are generally intended to document bugs impacting development and testing on iOS devices but will sometimes include more serious user-facing bugs, at Apple’s discretion. Minor bug fixes and/or security updates will be published with the public release.

The point of release notes is so people know what changed, or what outstanding bugs have been fixed so they can be tested.
They used to be a lot better at documenting it.
It’s like they’ve given up caring about the software. Some would argue they have, given the quality of it of late.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
You’ve jumped the gun. Not showing on the developer portal yet and no OTA.
Was showing for me OTA as soon as they posted here, but yeah in the past they posted and didn't show to me for a while, think it varies a great deal where you are located and other factors and just luck.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The point of release notes is so people know what changed, or what outstanding bugs have been fixed so they can be tested.
They used to be a lot better at documenting it.
It’s like they’ve given up caring about the software. Some would argue they have, given the quality of it of late.
The point of beta release notes is to advise developers of things they need to know to continue work on their own projects using that beta. There’s a difference between that and changes that end-users need to know about.

You’ll notice that Apple narrowly advises developers that betas are released so that they can “start integrating the latest Apple technologies into [their] apps so that [their] apps are up-to-date once the software becomes available to the public.” The closest Apple comes to requesting feedback on changes in beta software is this: “If you encounter any problems with beta software…”

Beta release notes have always focused heavily on changes to APIs and technologies over user-facing feature changes and bug fixes. In fact, their beta release notes used to specifically state that issues and notes “relate to using SDK [version] to develop code.” (Emphasis mine.) Yes, even when the alleged king of software, Scott Forstall, was there.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Good, but at this point I’m just hoping for iOS 14 to be a Mojave release. I really do enjoy iOS 13 but it’s sooo buggy.

Fixed, Mojave was stable from the very first beta/release, Snow Leopard wasn't.
Mojave was also far more feature rich.

-----

iOS 13 has so far been nearly flawless for me, I do believe though that it hasn't been the greatest
for others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.