Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded a second release candidate version of an upcoming macOS Big Sur 11.5 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new update coming one week after the release of the first RC version.

macOS-Big-Sur-Feature-Blue.jpg

Developers can download the ‌‌‌‌macOS Big Sur‌‌‌‌ 11.5 beta using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper profile from the Apple Developer Center.

macOS Big Sur 11.5 introduces an update to the Podcasts app that allows the Podcasts Library tab to show all shows or only followed shows. It also addresses an issue that could cause music not to update play count and last played date in the library, and a bug that caused smart cards not to work when logging into Mac computers with the M1 chip.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Release Candidate Version of macOS Big Sur 11.5 to Developers

saudor

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2011
how do we download this? got the beta profile but it keeps giving monteray

EDIT: realized this is dev and not PB.. but yeah..

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
Is Big Sur finally good enough for an upgrade from Mojave? Skipped Catalina last August and gonna skip BS too if that's not the case.
what does "good enough" mean? I upgraded my iMac from Mojave to Big Sur ~ 3 weeks ago no problem, only issue that I see is Finder CPU usage ~ 40% for no apparent reason, that's why I've been waiting for .5
Other than that it works great for me

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
what does "good enough" mean? I upgraded my iMac from Mojave to Big Sur ~ 3 weeks ago no problem, only issue that I see is Finder CPU usage ~ 40% for no apparent reason, that's why I've been waiting for .5
Other than that it works great for me
By "good enough" I mean a stable release with no sudden / obscure kernel panics or weird compatibility issues. In a nutshell, a solid product which won't make me painfully regret my decision to upgrade.

But I guess it's still a bit early to tell if you did that just three weeks ago. Anyway thanks for the feedback ?

PDubNYC

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
NYC
By "good enough" I mean a stable release with no sudden / obscure kernel panics or weird compatibility issues. In a nutshell, a solid product which won't make me painfully regret my decision to upgrade.

But I guess it's still a bit early to tell if you did that just three weeks ago. Anyway thanks for the feedback ?
If you are on an iMac with a fusion drive I'd definitely avoid BS as it sucks balls. I've had to revert a bunch of iMacs to Catalina after BS caused crashes multiple times every day due to issues with the fusion drive. wiping, reverting to Catalina fixed it in every case. Big Sur crashes on many of the M1's I have as well. So far Monterey seems much better on my test machine. YMMV

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA

Actually I had been running Bis Sur on my MBP for 10+ months incl public beta, but I just traded that in 2 weeks ago…
I never ran into any issues running Big Sur myself, not saying others have the same experience

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
Looks like they really have some efficient QA going on by now - in strong contrast to many bug-ridden releases in the past years, stabilization seems to work much better now and generate tangible results.

Good thing that this works out a lot more reliable now!

• Wow
Reactions: Babygotfont

blazerunner

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020

It's been 100% stable for me... and I'm on a Hackintosh lol

max_pin

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2021
This is a long shot, but has anyone tried it with a Radeon Pro 580 in a 27" iMac? Big Sur has constant screen glitches with it and I'm amazed that they sold so few 2017 iMacs with this GPU that there's no fix this far into Big Sur's release cycle.

• Sad
Reactions: Babygotfont
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.