Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the a second release candidate version of an upcoming watchOS 10.5 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming a day after Apple seeded the first RC.

Apple-Watch-Faces-watchOS-10-Feature-Blue.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 10.5 update, developers need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the watchOS 10 Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required.

Once beta updates have been activated, watchOS 10.5 can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

According to Apple's release notes, the update includes support for the new Pride watch face.
watchOS 10.5 includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, including a new Pride Radiance watch face to honor the LGBTQ+ community and culture.

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
The final version of watchOS 10.5 is likely to see a release next week.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Release Candidate Version of watchOS 10.5 to Developers

Last edited:
Reactions: JapanApple

sgreen314

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
Not unheard of to get second RC, but interesting. Last, last minute bug fix!

I'm just wondering if 10.5 is the version I'll finally update to get on "10" on my S6. I don't know if it's the issue that only a few very vocal people still have battery issues with 10.x, but I'm still seeing anecdotal postings around that the battery life has tanked through '10' minor releases. Doing fine with 9.6.2 right now, don't want to risk it. Odd though I'm seeing notifications to update to 9.6.3 even though I'm running 17.3.1; I thought 9.6.3 was only for iOS 16.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Uh oh. I updated to RC 1 yesterday. I wonder what prompted for a quick RC 2 release.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Not unheard of to get second RC, but interesting. Last, last minute bug fix!
Not unheard of, but I think pretty rare to get one the day after the first RC releases. There’s usually a gap of a few days.

I installed the RC last night and battery has been pretty rubbish today on my S9 so I wonder if this addresses excessive battery drain.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Not unheard of, but I think pretty rare to get one the day after the first RC releases. There’s usually a gap of a few days.

I installed the RC last night and battery has been pretty rubbish today on my S9 so I wonder if this addresses excessive battery drain.
To be honest, battery life has been rubbish on AW since watchOS 10 came out altogether and isn’t anything specific to this update. Overall battery life was much better on WatchOS 9

Last edited:

ShabbaRanks

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Wow. This is hammering my watch’s battery. Lasts less than half the time it did prior to the update.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Wow. This is hammering my watch’s battery. Lasts less than half the time it did prior to the update.
That’s weird because for me - for sleep tracking at least - 10.5 has been a big improvement from beta 4 onwards and for both RCs, albeit with only 1 nights data so far for each RC. i always charge to 100% before bed, and normally wake up after sleep tracking with around 85% battery, but 10.4 trashed that and I was waking up down in the low 70s % battery for the same tracking situation. From 10.5 beta 4 onwards I’m back at my expected 85% on waking up. This is on a 45mm watch 7 where the battery health is showing a maximum capacity of 82%

Last edited:

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Battery drain has been awful throughout this whole beta. Hopefully second RC sorts it.

Pcar17

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
Did they ever fix the stocks (and almost every other) widget not updating issue?
It doesn’t update right away for me when switching to a face with the stock widget complication. I either reboot the watch or remove and put back the complication to fix it…or just wait for watchOS to eventually update it.

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
It doesn’t update right away for me when switching to a face with the stock widget complication. I either reboot the watch or remove and put back the complication to fix it…or just wait for watchOS to eventually update it.
Yea. This has been happening for what feels like a year now. What is the point of a complication that shows me an outdated stock price? I certainly won’t be purchasing another Apple Watch. The software quality sucks.

ShabbaRanks

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
I’m on RC2, left home at 8AM with 100% on my series 4 AW and am currently (1:20pm) at 69% battery on the watch
Great. I hope it stays like that for you but mine is behaving like it’s doing something very intensive in the background but won’t tell me what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.