Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of an upcoming watchOS 7.4 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming one week release of the sixth beta and over two months after the launch of watchOS 7.3 with "Time to Walk" functionality, expanded ECG availability, and a new Unity watch face.

7.4-on-Apple-Watch-feature-copy.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 7.4 beta, developers need to download the proper configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the watchOS 7.4 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated ‌Apple Watch‌ app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

To update to the new software, the ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌‌‌.

Alongside iOS 14.5, watchOS 7.4 introduces a new "Unlock with Apple Watch" feature that lets an iPhone with Face ID use an unlocked and authenticated Apple Watch as a secondary authentication measure when you're wearing a mask, alleviating the need to enter a passcode to unlock the iPhone.

iphone-apple-watch-unlock.jpg

Face ID does not work when wearing a mask, but this new Apple Watch feature provides an easy but still secure way to access the iPhone without the hassle of a passcode. It's similar to the Apple Watch unlocking on Mac and can be enabled in the Settings app under Face ID & Passcode.

An unlocked Apple Watch paired with Face ID can unlock the iPhone when a mask is worn, but it's only for mask usage. The Apple Watch cannot be used to authenticate Apple Pay or App Store purchases, nor can it be used to unlock apps that require a Face ID scan. In these situations, the mask will need to be removed or a passcode/password will need to be used instead.

iphone-apple-watch-unlock-2.jpg

When the Apple Watch unlocks the iPhone, you'll feel a haptic tap on the wrist and will receive a notification on the watch, similar to how it works when using the watch to unlock a Mac.

For those who use Apple Fitness+, the watchOS 7.4 update combined with iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 enables AirPlay 2 for Apple Fitness+, so workouts can be streamed to an AirPlay 2-enabled TV or set-top box. Apple Watch metrics do not show up on the screen when AirPlayed, however, and that feature is limited to iPhone/iPad/Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of watchOS 7.4 to Developers

FishyFish

macrumors demi-god
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
This beta is an ABSOLUTE BEAST. It took a long time to install, but once the Apple logo was gone it took off like a wild horse. Fast so far and everything looks like it should. In early testing, A+ on this one. Thank you Apple for including us in the beta test!!

Comment

Braderunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
This beta is an ABSOLUTE BEAST. It took a long time to install, but once the Apple logo was gone it took off like a wild horse. Fast so far and everything looks like it should. In early testing, A+ on this one. Thank you Apple for including us in the beta test!!
Can't possibly "test" in two minutes. You're implying that it's faster? Hard to believe. I mean, if it's the same...it's the same. Of course Apple includes developers in beta testing. How else would one develop an app for new software?

Comment

FishyFish

macrumors demi-god
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
He does this all the time. Absolutely nobody takes him serious. He's a poster that posts just to post.
??

I’m enthusiastic and test every beta. If you want to contribute positively, you can test as well and post your experiences.

I like to post early so that people know whether it is safe to install or not. I always make clear that it’s an “early” review.

Comment

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
I agree!

Reactions: FishyFish
Comment

TheDreaded26

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2016
Hope this fixes the iMessage bug where notifications would not come through sporadically. I have an SE. Been talking with Apple support for over 2 months going back in forth with engineering. They could never give me and answer or acknowledge the problem and they claimed they could not initiate a replacement or repair. Very disappointed.

Comment

Johnny907

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
??

I’m enthusiastic and test every beta. If you want to contribute positively, you can test as well and post your experiences.

I like to post early so that people know whether it is safe to install or not. I always make clear that it’s an “early” review.
You come across like an overzealous sycophant, which kills your credibility. While I get excited when new betas drop, I give them at least half a day of use before commenting on them. I launch the majority of apps I use daily, from activity to audible to pandora and spotify to various others just to ensure they all work as expected. I also watch battery usage, as I have milestones for how much all of my daily activities and uptime should diminish battery life. Deviation either way from usual patterns is noted.
Basically, I wait until I have an actual informed opinion before making that opinion known.
Whether you label it an “early review” or not, two minutes of use is not enough time to form a valid opinion other than “well it does/doesn’t turn on.” As for it being “a beast,” I take it this is just more hyperbole as the update process wasn’t any more involved than previous betas, and performance after rebooting has been essentially identical to the last beta.

Comment

astridd

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Belgium
I didn’t have huge issues with previous beta’s, but this one is actually destroying the battery of my series 6 (40mm) maximum capacity 100%, in 10-12 hours my battery is drained completely - this happened yesterday and the day before yesterday… I am aware betas might cause battery issues, but I expected more for a 7th beta. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• 0E91A295-3263-427E-B555-95A6B28C4F6E.png
    0E91A295-3263-427E-B555-95A6B28C4F6E.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 3
Comment

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
Oklahoma
Beta 7 has probably the worst battery life of any beta I've ever tested. s6 40mm with 100% capacity, background sync off and very few apps installed and it'll be down to 60% by the time I wake up if I wear it to bed. Normally it loses maybe 15% overnight. Really hope they fix this before the official release, my s3 on 7.3 with 91% capacity is outlasting it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.