Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of an upcoming watchOS 7 beta to developers, one week after releasing the sixth beta and two months after unveiling watchOS 7 at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

watchOS-dev-beta-7-Feature.jpg

To install the watchOS 7 beta, developers need to download the proper configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the ‌watchOS 7‌ beta can be downloaded through the dedicated ‌Apple Watch‌ app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

To update to the new software, the ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the ‌iPhone‌. It would be wise to install the beta on a secondary device rather than a primary device as this is an early version of the watchOS software that could have bugs that still need to be addressed.

watchOS 7 brings a new watch face sharing feature that lets you share your watch faces with others through Messages or Mail, the App Store, through websites, or through social Media.

watchos7-1.jpg

There are new Chronograph Pro watch faces, plus a filter option for the Photos face and rich complications for the X-Large face. Developers can now offer more than one complication per app, and Apple has introduced new complications for Shortcuts, Moon phases, the World Clock, and more.

‌watchOS 7‌ introduces a new Sleep Tracking feature for the first time that uses the ‌Apple Watch‌'s accelerometer to detect small movements associated with breathing when asleep. Sleep Tracking provides information on sleep duration and offers a Wind Down feature for helping users get ready for bed to increase sleep times.

watchossleeptimewakeup.jpg

Putting the Apple Watch in Sleep Mode turns on Do Not Disturb and automatically darkens the watch screen while you're sleeping, while an alarm feature uses haptic feedback or gentle sounds to wake you up with a greeting and a weather report.

In addition to Sleep Tracking, Apple also added a new handwashing tracking feature to help people wash their hands for at least 20 seconds. There's a 20-second countdown timer that comes up whenever the ‌Apple Watch‌ detects handwashing motions and sounds, and the Health app will also show the frequency and duration of the user's handwashing.

applewatchhandwashing.jpg

Additional details on the other new features in watchOS 7 can be found in our watchOS 7 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of watchOS 7 to Developers

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
With watchOS Beta now ahead of iOS this should be the biggest hint yet of the separate product announcements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeyde1989

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
This was a very quick install compared to recent betas, and the quality so far seems excellent! Complications updated when starting the watch, all watch faces look great, and scrolling through Settings is fast and smooth. Took an ECG and that worked beautifully as well.

Can't wait for the GM version soon. Very excited to start sharing watchOS 7 to the rest of the world!

techish

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
Extremely surprising that Apple hasn’t yet fixed ‘insufficient space’ issue while installing on Apple Watch 3 versions. The issue persisted throughout all betas so far… making it almost impossible to install/test it on Apple Watch 3 series - 8 GB versions ?

Reactions: hsoj1006

hsoj1006

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
I have tried and tried to install this but iot says I don't have enough space on my Series 3. I even cleared out everything on it and it still said the same thing. I don't get it.
[automerge]1598984586[/automerge]
Extremely surprising that Apple hasn’t yet fixed ‘insufficient space’ issue while installing on Apple Watch 3 versions. The issue persisted throughout all betas so far… making it almost impossible to install/test it on Apple Watch 3 series - 8 GB versions ?

Same here. I can't install it at all.

ShawnyRHarvey

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Hamilton, ON

I keep unpairing/repairing with each beta build o_O

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Mine has been stuck on downloading for almost an hour.
Mine initially got stuck when I started it a few minutes after 1 PM ET. But after I rebooted the Watch, it installed fairly quickly.

I didn't have any reportable bugs in the last beta, so I can't tell any differences yet.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
Still waiting for a macOS update as beta 5 has been terribly buggy, with kernel panics, etc. I also can’t install it on my new 2020 iMac development machine so for the past few weeks I’ve done zero coding. Ugh.

Reactions: jhfenton

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Still waiting for a macOS update as beta 5 has been terribly buggy, with kernel panics, etc. I also can’t install it on my new 2020 iMac development machine so for the past few weeks I’ve done zero coding. Ugh.
Me too. I haven't had any kernel panics other the first time I ran Parallels 16 using the Parallels native hypervisor. But I've had periodic strange system/Finder crashes where everything disappears and I end up back at the login screen. There's been no obvious pattern to the crashes.

Channelsurfer63

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2019
Vancouver BC
Mine has been stuck on downloading for almost an hour.
When you encounter that issue it might help to scroll down to usage on your iPhone watch app, and delete the beta download; then go back up to software update and select download and install again after the search. Normally this will fire up the download right away and could be safer than rebooting your watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.