Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of iOS 11.2.5 to Developers and Public Beta Testers [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming iOS 11.2.5 update to developers, one week after seeding the fifth beta and a little over a week after releasing iOS 11.2.2, an update designed to mitigate a serious hardware-based vulnerability called "Spectre."

Registered developers can download the iOS 11.2.5 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

[​IMG]

iOS 11.2.5 introduces a new feature that lets Siri play daily news podcasts when queried about the current news. Siri will offer up news from The Washington Post by default, but you can also choose to switch to Fox News, CNN, or NPR.

The new audio news feature, which appears to have been developed for use with Apple's upcoming HomePod speaker, is invoked when using Hey Siri or asking Siri about the news when using CarPlay or with headphones connected - essentially any situation where you're not looking at the display of an iOS device. If you activate Siri using the side button or Home button of a device, standard Apple news headlines are provided instead of the audio-based news highlights. This new feature is also available on devices running iOS 11.2.2 as of this week.

It's not clear what other new features, if any, will be included in the iOS 11.2.5 beta. We didn't discover other noticeable outward-facing changes in the first five iOS 11.2.5 betas, so it's possible this update focuses mainly on bug fixes and security improvements aside from the Siri news update.

If that's the case, we may not know the extent of what's in the update until it sees a public release. Apple is supposed to be releasing an iCloud Messages feature that was pulled from the iOS 11 release, but there has been no indication of when we can expect iCloud Messages to be reintroduced.

Update: The iOS 11.2.5 beta 6 update appears to fix a bug that allowed a malicious link to freeze the Messages app on iOS devices.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of iOS 11.2.5 to Developers and Public Beta Testers [Updated]

2. nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

3. jessebkr87 macrumors regular

4. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Hopefully this is the last one. I'm ready for some non beta stability on my iPhone.

5. Solver macrumors 6502a

It seems that as these little esoteric security holes are each rooted out, Apple has to redirect resources to make these patches. Important, but it delays things.

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

I'd expect that at beta 6 we are close to the end. "GM" soon.

7. AManInACan, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2018

AManInACan macrumors member

Not, it doesn't. I just used this feature yesterday on an iPhone 6s with 11.2.2. It appears it was enabled on the server side of Siri and not by updating iOS. BTW, mine defaulted to NPR.

8. Anon9mouz macrumors newbie

Anon9mouz

Same it’s been getting a little too much lately, even though I do get happy like a little kid when I seen them

9. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

So, remove the beta profile?

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Still no iCloud messages feature. Why announce a relatively minor feature seven months away... and counting.

11. hmark8 macrumors regular

I'm confused this article says 11.2.5 "introduces" the siri news feature, but then later admits it already exists for users of 11.2.2. So this isn't semantics but rather false information. Where it should really say is 11.2.5 doesn't remove the previously added feature of siri news. I imagine since the article makes no reference to any new features, they wanted to mentioned something other than 11.2.5 beta released, but please don't make false statemens. 11.2.5 no way "introduces" this existing feature. Please correct.

12. BlendedFrog macrumors regular

My guess is that they have had some major problems with reliable syncing between iOS and macOS. I'm hoping it makes it into 11.3. The .3 release is when new MDM features tend to be introduced, so that makes it a great time to add in this.

13. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

Next week is my guess....

14. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Apple, just release the damn thing already, and let's hope my 6S starts behaving again.

15. Act3 macrumors 68000

Funny thing is they even mentioned it yesterday

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/16/siri-podcast-news-feature-ios-11-2-2/

16. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

No word if it has the Battery information promised by Apple in an update? I hope they're not waiting until 11.3 with it, cuz that's usually in March.

17. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Probably not happening in 11.2.5.

18. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

19. iAdam1n, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018

iAdam1n macrumors member

iAdam1n

20. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That wouldn't really be expected in a bug fix update. That aside, it's a feature that Apple wanted to have in iOS 11 and hopefully is still working on making that happen. We don't quite know what the hold up might be about as there could be all kinds of things in relation to it. Certainly doesn't appear to be a "relatively minor feature".

21. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

What's that thingy? Serious question.

Is that the Power management feature?

22. Zombolo macrumors member

What does that mean?

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

From a software point of view it may not be a minor feature, but certainly - at least to me from a user-standpoint - it seems like one. I understand the argument, but did they really need to announce this 7 months out with no timetable for release? Not to mention that the messages app has increasingly been the largest focused-on app during keynotes, so I'm just surprised that it hasn't even popped up in any betas yet.

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

I doubt this was the plan all along. They probably underestimated the effort / had to change priorities.

25. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well, even from end user point of view it's a fairly significant feature given how many people have been hoping for it and keep on asking about it. As for announcing it, again, it seems like it was a good undertaking that they wanted to mention and that they were hoping to release sooner rather than later, given that it was being tested in the iOS 11.0 betas even. It sounds like something came up in relation to it that has been holding it back.