Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.2.5 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fifth beta and more than a month after the release of tvOS 11.2.1, an update that introduced a fix for a HomeKit vulnerability.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 11.2.5 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

appletv4k2-800x691.jpg

We don't yet know what features or changes might be included in the tvOS 11.2.5 update, but it likely focuses primarily on bug fixes and performance improvements rather than major outward-facing changes.

There were no outward-facing changes discovered in the first five developer betas, but we'll update this post should new features be found in the sixth beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of tvOS 11.2.5 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I've never understood why they can't/won't/don't add an iTunes-style visualizer to the ATV as a screensaver option for when playing music. You're playing music through a box connected to your TV, and blurry cover art is the best they can come up with to fill that giant screen?!

seanandonandon

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2017
I've never understood why they can't/won't/don't add an iTunes-style visualizer to the ATV as a screensaver option for when playing music. You're playing music through a box connected to your TV, and blurry cover art is the best they can come up with to fill that giant screen?!

Mine tends to fade to a screen saver after a few minutes. Used to have the screensaver set to iTunes artwork but have lately had it set to their lovely city flyovers. Anyway, not quite a visualizer but works for me and keeps me happy.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Personally, I like to turn my TV off when using :apple:TV as a jukebox BUT that fails as soon as I want to change playlists or find some particular song to play next. An older version of Remote (app) on an iDevice used to bring such controls to the iDevice screen so I could turn off the TV screen but use an iDevice to make such changes. Then, Apple decided to "improve":rolleyes: the Remote app by making it more like a mirror (functionally) of the :apple:TV remote. So now, I've got all this wasted screen space on the iDevice pretending to be the touch half of the :apple:TV remote, when I'd much rather it know that I'm playing music and maybe just mirror what it would show on the TV (if it was on) on this iDevice instead.

But hey, as is so often slung around here, "$2XX Billion in the bank can't be wrong." Apparently, the masses wanted a revamped Remote app that basically replicated the functionality of the :apple:TV remote.

And yes, I know that I can airplay from the iDevice instead of streaming from the computer running iTunes directly to the :apple:TV, but I'd much rather just use an app called "Remote" to drive actions, not wirelessly feed music already available on the computer linked to the :apple:TV.

mikesilv

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Seattle
iTunes Remote app, the one with the blue icon, still works with even the current 4K TV, and does what you want, right?

No, it replicates the functionality of the physical :apple:TV remote. The screen becomes mostly one big touchpad. Need to keep the TV on to be able to change a playlist or scroll to a particular song, etc.How nice it would be to use the screen in my hand to do that without needing the TV screen turned on too.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhwalker

dstankus

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
I am anxiously awaiting the update where they have Single Sign-In for my cable provider, to authorize all the channel apps. It seems silly that I need to periodically re-authorize them individually...

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
For some reason my APTV is full and can’t put anymore apps on it I’ve only got a few extra Netflix now tv and a few others , I do have Apple music and 15 k photos but I understood they were all in the cloud , problem iam having it won’t update to newly taken photos and says not enough room for more apps
[doublepost=1516229161][/doublepost]
For some reason my APTV is full and can’t put anymore apps on it I’ve only got a few extra Netflix now tv and a few others , I do have Apple music and 15 k photos but I understood they were all in the cloud , problem iam having it won’t update to newly taken photos and says not enough room for more apps

[doublepost=1516229161][/doublepost]

Which particular :apple:TV do you have?

Have you tried a factory restore to basically clear it all out (back to original status) then putting Netflix and those "few apps" back on it?

Reactions: foxcub6

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
10 Fixes and upgrades I want in 2018:

1. Let me use Up Next when Disney Now is installed.
2. Let me mark individual up next episodes as watched or unwatched.
3. Let me select the preferred network for up next.
4. Get Netflix working with up next.
5. Add mute when I hold down the down button.
6. Use the Wi-Fi as an airport when ethernet is plugged in.
7. Use iPhone Bluetooth to identify who is watching so multiple people can watch a series in order at their own pace. This way it promotes my stuff when I'm alone, her stuff when she's alone, and our stuff when we are together. Kid friendly stuff when the kids home.
8. Split screen multitask so I can watch two things at the same time regardless of the app. (For example I can't watch my local team and home team in the same app because of blackouts. Let me watch directv now and Sunday ticket at the same time.)
9. Add Safari.
10. Add a Sleep timer.
Bonus: make up next mandatory for all apps.

(Sure, some are developer issues, but Apple could deny the app for being broken.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarheels23

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I have a sneaking suspicion that Atmos would require a rewrite of the main code.
I don't see it happening even though they said it is coming.

Reactions: Andreas77

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
10 Fixes and upgrades I want in 2018:

1. Let me use Up Next when Disney Now is installed.
2. Let me mark individual up next episodes as watched or unwatched.
3. Let me select the preferred network for up next.
4. Get Netflix working with up next.
5. Add mute when I hold down the down button.
6. Use the Wi-Fi as an airport when ethernet is plugged in.
7. Use iPhone Bluetooth to identify who is watching so multiple people can watch a series in order at their own pace. This way it promotes my stuff when I'm alone, her stuff when she's alone, and our stuff when we are together. Kid friendly stuff when the kids home.
8. Split screen multitask so I can watch two things at the same time regardless of the app. (For example I can't watch my local team and home team in the same app because of blackouts. Let me watch directv now and Sunday ticket at the same time.)
9. Add Safari.
10. Add a Sleep timer.
Bonus: make up next mandatory for all apps.

(Sure, some are developer issues, but Apple could deny the app for being broken.)

Like several of these, I want synced video across multiple ATV’s. We often have people over to watch a fight or something and it’s impossible to sync streams. Be nice to have Familyroom and Patio in sync like Sonos does with Music.

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
Like several of these, I want synced video across multiple ATV’s. We often have people over to watch a fight or something and it’s impossible to sync streams. Be nice to have Familyroom and Patio in sync like Sonos does with Music.

Never tried that with streaming live. How far off are the streams? I remember watching the world series and one tv was 6 seconds ahead, but that was with cable. Super annoying but I figured out that it was the extra coax and spliter to get to that room that was causing the issue. I Just assumed that with stream they would all be on point when activated.

Andreas77

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Atmos i think it never will be released! It would leave Apple to make for the first time to enable pass trough bitstream.
This had never happen to the MacOS because Apple want not to use that option. I hopes that I have wrong but why did Apple not enable this from start!
It’s also an license question so it will cost Apple money to enable this!
Then we have YouTube 4K that use VP9 and this is a big ****ing misstake to not get access to YouTube 4K

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Which particular :apple:TV do you have?

Have you tried a factory restore to basically clear it all out (back to original status) then putting Netflix and those "few apps" back on it?
Thanks that’s what I did in the end all working fine ... at the moment

Historically, I have found that the best approach with :apple:TV is to periodically unplug-wait-restart from time to time. I've suspected memory leaks or similar that eventually impact performance and this clears that kind of thing out (if it's actually a problem).

However, when that doesn't do it, the good old factory restore maneuver becomes the ultimate fall back. That clears out everything that might have hogged space, corrupted memory, etc. Puzzling problems not solved by the cold reboot, swapping cables, experimenting to be sure it's not wifi or ethernet connections, cold rebooting any middle man hardware (like a receiver) can leave seemingly all fault pointing back to the little box. Factory restore puts it back to it's original state before any apps can have any lasting ill effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxcub6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.