Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of watchOS 3 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming watchOS 3 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fifth beta and two months after first unveiling watchOS 3 at its 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference.

The sixth watchOS 3 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on an iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery, it must be on the Apple Watch charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. watchOS 3 also requires an iPhone running iOS 10 to install.

watchOS 3 introduces significant changes to the watchOS operating system. A new dock, accessible by pressing the side button, replaces Glances and houses 10 favorite first and third-party apps. Apps in the dock are kept continually up to date and are stored in memory for a new instant launch ability.

New Activity Sharing options allow Apple Watch owners to share workout and activity information with friends, and there are new fitness features for Wheelchair users. A Breathe app guides users through daily deep breathing sessions, an Apple Watch can unlock a Mac, and Apple has added apps for Reminders, Find My Friends, and accessing one's heartbeat.

Additional watch faces support complications, there are three new watch faces to choose from, including a new Activity watch face, and an SOS feature will make sure an option to get help in an emergency is always right at your fingertips. On the iPhone, there's a new Face Gallery for customizing Apple Watch faces, and watchOS 3 allows the Apple Watch to be located via Find My iPhone for the first time.

For complete details on the new features coming in watchOS 3, which will be released to the public this fall, make sure to check out our watchOS 3 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of watchOS 3 to Developers

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
watchOS 3 can't come soon enough.

I feel as though I've been running beta software on my Watch for 2 years. I'd be happy to run this beta if there were a public release. watchOS 3 finally looks like an OS worthy of a 1.0 label.

Last edited:
Reactions: xDKP and testcard
Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Only 23MB. Its timing (just 1 week after the last beta) and small size suggest final beta for iOS family (iOS, watchOS, tvOS).

macOS Sierra is in more rough shape and I suspect we will get at least one more beta before GM.

Comment

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Only 23MB. Its timing (just 1 week after the last beta) and small size suggest final beta for iOS family (iOS, watchOS, tvOS).

macOS Sierra is in more rough shape and I suspect we will get at least one more beta before GM.

macOS is normally out a month later than iOS updates so definitely more beta's for Sierra.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I wish they did a PB beta for the watch. I would love to see how the new OS is doing. During the speech, it did look like a great update was coming.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
There are a whole bunch of people that wish the same. However, with no user-capable facility to regress the firmware, it's not gonna happen.
Yes I understand this is a problem for both the watch and the tv. For the watch since everything, including installing the OS, goes through the iphone, it is a bit surprising that there this facility is missing. Hopefully this is addressed for next year.

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yes I understand this is a problem for both the watch and the tv. For the watch since everything, including installing the OS, goes through the iphone, it is a bit surprising that there this facility is missing. Hopefully this is addressed for next year.

I must admit I don't know about the aTV for sure, but I assumed that because you can connect a cable to it then there must be some kind of DFU mode??

Comment

bribri99

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
I installed it without a developers account. Risky not being able to roll back but happy

Comment

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I installed it without a developers account. Risky not being able to roll back but happy
Same here. Not to mention installing a cert that you randomly found on the internet unto a device that has access to your credit cards (Apple pay) and health information.

Overall, the features that I wanted to try in wOS 3 like move goal sharing/competition I can't even use because nobody else including my wife is using the beta. I'd say next year I'm going to skip the phone/watch BETAs. They're stable but again the new iMessage features require someone on the receiving end to have the same.

Comment

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
Same here. Not to mention installing a cert that you randomly found on the internet unto a device that has access to your credit cards (Apple pay) and health information.

Overall, the features that I wanted to try in wOS 3 like move goal sharing/competition I can't even use because nobody else including my wife is using the beta. I'd say next year I'm going to skip the phone/watch BETAs. They're stable but again the new iMessage features require someone on the receiving end to have the same.
The cert is signed by Apple. It cannot be tampered with or it wouldn't install!

Comment

Kyle4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
My Watch has been installing for two hours now and doesn't seem to want to finish

I restated the Apple Watch and now it's bricked. Awesome

Last edited:
Comment

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
...They're stable but again the new iMessage features require someone on the receiving end to have the same.

Not completely true, at least since beta 5. Drawings (both digital touch and the horizontal drawings) send as pictures now to iPhones on iOS 9. Heart beats and taps also send but as static photos. Sending a message using the screen effects still sends the message but writes the effect in brackets, for example [sent with lasers]. I know this wasn't in the first developer beta but I wanna say I noticed it started having this partial compatibility in at least beta 4, possibly 3.

Reactions: jhfenton
Comment

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Not completely true, at least since beta 5. Drawings (both digital touch and the horizontal drawings) send as pictures now to iPhones on iOS 9. Heart beats and taps also send but as static photos. Sending a message using the screen effects still sends the message but writes the effect in brackets, for example [sent with lasers]. I know this wasn't in the first developer beta but I wanna say I noticed it started having this partial compatibility in at least beta 4, possibly 3.
Yes, I've noticed the brackets but come on. I'm talking full functionality here, not text descriptions LOL for that reason, I won't participate in iOS 11 beta next year. While the beta has been stable this year, it's just not worth the hassle.

Reactions: jozeppy26
Comment

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
Yes, I've noticed the brackets but come on. I'm talking full functionality here, not text descriptions LOL for that reason, I won't participate in iOS 11 beta next year. While the beta has been stable this year, it's just not worth the hassle.

Right but it's pretty cool they still get my finger drawings. lol.

Reactions: btrach144
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.