Apple Seeds Sixth OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.4 update to developers and public beta testers for testing purposes, less than a week after seeding the fifth OS X 10.11.4 beta and more than a month after releasing OS X 10.11.3. OS X 10.11.4 has been in testing since January 11.

The sixth OS X 10.11.4 beta, build 15E61b, can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or via the Software Update Mechanism in the Mac App Store.

[​IMG]

OS X 10.11.4 offers a couple of new features, such as Live Photos support in Messages, the ability to password protect notes in the Notes app, and an option to import notes from Evernote, but like the recent OS X 10.11.3 update, it appears to focus primarily on under-the-hood bug fixes and performance improvements. Almost all of Apple's OS X updates to date have been smaller updates that improve performance rather than introduce new features.

We'll update this post with any features or significant changes that are discovered in the sixth beta of OS X 10.11.4. OS X 10.11.4 is likely to see a spring release alongside iOS 9.3, tvOS 9.2, and watchOS 2.2, with the new software coming as early as March 21, the date of Apple's planned spring event.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

3. RTouris macrumors newbie

RTouris

Let's see how this one pans out..over the last couple of betas only I couldn't help but report a few dozen very irritating hardcore long-standing bugs only to get responses from 'Engineering' that these are duplicates of others, still open ones...Funny thing is that MOST of the already open ones have IDs that pertain to OSX versions way before Yosemite... :confused:

4. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

Surprised we've still not seen the new iTunes supposedly coming at the event this month, it had better be a good improvement.

5. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

I'm assuming we'll see a release at the same time as the Apple event later this month. But it's been a long beta-cycle for a non-major release version.

6. RTouris macrumors newbie

RTouris

not really...10.10.3 went all the way up to dev beta7 (public beta5), whereas 10.10.2 up to dev beta 6...so in all it's up to par with some previous releases really...

7. Guy Clark, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Sticking with 10.11.4 Beta 5 as its very stable. Already disabled Beta updates.

8. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

I'm more interested in hearing about bug fixes and stability/performance improvements. Any of those in this version???

9. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

10. Vashetti macrumors regular

Vashetti

Why are this and the WatchOS posts delegated to the blogs whilst the iOS update gets the front page?

11. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Looking forward to this being out of beta.

Probably because Apple doesn't get like 80% of their revenue (and users) from them like iOS.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/26/q1-2016-results/

MacRumors reader numbers may be affected by that split as well despite the old Mac name.

12. DempaX macrumors member

DempaX

App Store in Sweden not responding on any of my Macs = offline? The Mini server in US updating now though..

13. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Probably the fact that there are BILLIONS of iOS users and MILLIONS of WatchOS users with even fewer Mac OS X users... I'm sure some clever cookie can come up with some actual numbers.

Just a thought.

14. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Eh, I prefer Macintosh news over iOS news, tbh... I'm both a Mac and iPhone user, but Mac news are generally more exciting. I sure wish we could see more heritage to the classic Macintosh name, as well.

15. matamoris macrumors regular

May be time to change the site name to "iosrumors" or "applerumors".

16. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I only submit feedback via the Feedback forms, Crash Reporter, and occasionally, the Feedback Assistant. I never see anything after that. There's some LONG-standing issues with OS X that seem to be completely ignored by Apple. I know maintaining four platforms is a big task, but surely they can invest a bit more time in refining some of the smaller items? Focus seems to be on moving forward to the next great thing rather than improving the "now".

17. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

You just never know what might happen next! ;)

18. chrfr macrumors 604

Developers have access to a Server.app beta that works, and is required, with 10.11.4. Public beta users will apparently have to wait.

19. LuckyBubba macrumors member

LuckyBubba

Right click and select Lock

20. danckwerts macrumors regular

danckwerts

There certainly are. The mess they've made of SMTP settings is driving me mad. And why on earth can't one sync email settings between Macs?

21. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Maybe they're holding out the fixes for these issues until the next OS X release (which likely introduces other issues…). It has happened before. :-| Or maybe there's room for them in the 10.11.5 update (and maybe 10.11.6?) which I guess we'll see before 10.12.

22. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Same here, still no outgoing mail server.It's been this way since the original install of El Captan! Getting old at this point and frustrating!!

23. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Save yourself the trouble and stop reporting issues.
    It's hopeless really.

I've never had a fruitful encounter with bug reporting to Apple.
    Much different to all these other "less consumer-friendly" companies.

I'll start bothering again when they start bothering about reports from people like me and you.
    Or anyone? I haven't heard much good from anyone. Hell, even Walt Mossberg doesn't seem to get attention these days.

Glassed Silver:mac

24. mwhetnall macrumors member

mwhetnall

I love that pdf's sync in iBooks. I've been waiting years for this to work!

25. bgutierrez macrumors newbie

bgutierrez

iBooks in this beta version not syncing with iOS 9.3... Anyone having the same problem?