Apple Seeds Third Beta of iOS 11.4.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming iOS 11.4.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the second beta and three weeks after releasing iOS 11.4, an update that introduced AirPlay 2 and Messages in iCloud.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 11.4.1 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

[​IMG]

No new features were discovered in the first two iOS 11.4.1 betas, suggesting it focuses on bug fixes and performance improvements to address issues discovered since the release of iOS 11.4.

We'll update this post should we discover any new features in the third iOS 11.4.1 beta, but we're not expecting major changes now that Apple has shifted its focus to iOS 12, which is also available to developers for beta testing purposes.

Update: The third beta of iOS 11.4.1 is also available for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of iOS 11.4.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

2. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Does this fix the 11.4 power drain issue does anyone know?

3. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Obviously Apple has dedicated all resources onto iOS 11.4.1 so iOS 12 development has been postponed until iOS 11.4.1 is ready....

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

What? o_O

5. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Does finishing up iOS 11 have anything to do with releasing iOS 12 on time?? I wouldn’t think one is contingent on the other.

If iOS 12 ends up being released in the MESS that iOS 11 was its going to be a huge letdown. People on u tube are already expecting the worse.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Who is actually running these betas? Anyone? Anyone?

Developers are probably more worried about iOS 12 right now, and so are any enthusiasts who are willing to run betas. I can't see anyone running this beta other than very special edge cases.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Obviously, you are doing nothing more than making logical fallacy guesses.

8. GIZBUG, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018

GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

I’m running the beta...

We are on beta 3 here........ re read the topic

9. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Most developers are still working with 11.4. While they need to prepare for iOS 12, that's still not something they HAVE to worry about until the Sept release. It's much more critical to fix problems for the other 99.9% of users on iOS 11 right now. You can't just let them deal with buggy software for the next 3 months.

Additionally, this is just the first beta of iOS 12 out. Most developers will wait a few before even bothering to start development work. A lot is missing from this first release. For instance, iOS 12 broke all apps running Webview. Until Apple resolves that, no development can really take place for the countless apps that use it. This is one of many reasons developers don't hop on the second the first beta drops.

10. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

sorry for the misunderstanding I was replying about the person who quoted about beta 2 for iOS 12. I know this post is about beta 11.4.1 not iOS 12

11. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Well there are a LOT of folks who are not running 12 just yet since its still in early stages. Myself I have 12 on iPad Mini 4 but not gonna put it on iPhone just yet. But 11.4.1 is a safer bet for that. I am sure I am not alone in this thought process :)

12. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

no one with any sense would put the first beta apple release on any important device. I always think of the first beta after WDC as more Alpha than Beta

13. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

You must not read the IOS 12 section of these forums much.....Most aren’t even developers either

14. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

People here assume iOS 12 is lots worse than iOS 11.4.X, guess what, it's probably the best first version of iOS ever.

I was on 11.4.1 beta before I installed this one (iOS 12 beta), it was getting there and probably will be stable before iOS 12 gets released.

As for developers, if I am not wrong they can both install the next iOS version and still develop for the older version so staying on the older one is not needed.

15. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Given that it's going to be months before iOS 12 is publicly available, and given that that gives a lot of time for the general public to use a developer's apps on 11.4, it's prudent to continue to test on the 11.4 variants.

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm the same. I hope everyone reported the battery drain issue. I moved to this beta just so I could report it and hopefully be heard.

17. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

I think 11.x.y will continue, maybe they won't focus on performance that much and just on important bug fixes or just security fixes most likely, iOS12 will be the replacement of iOS11 later this year, no new features just a stable version, from that they can build up new things. I guess it makes sense that iOS12 will be the last to support the same old devices as iOS11, but that is a good thing, after iOS12 Apple will probably go back on adding features and not worrying on quality for a while.

18. tuna macrumors 6502

Any beta testers here? Does this new release fix battery drain issues?

19. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Just came out. Too early to tell

20. M-Life macrumors member

M-Life

Uhhh, you're the developer on the developer beta. Why don't you tell us?

21. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

PB is out
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2018 ---
    b2 seemed significantly better on battery vs 11.4 for me

22. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

23. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Preparing pb3 update

24. blacktape242, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

Is the walkie-talkie feature going to be on IOS?

ill hold off on the PB for a bit this year after its a bit more stable.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't think there are any walkie-talkie features in iOS 11.

26. yoavon1 macrumors newbie

yoavon1

YES!
    They finally added the "Pride Flag" face to the watch app in this Beta.
    We can now save the face to our favorites and save complications (as opposed to doing it from the watch itself, which will not be saved in case of a data reset)