Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the second beta and a month after releasing the macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update.

The new macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 beta can be downloaded through Apple Developer Center or the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store with the proper profile installed.

macoshighsierra10135beta-800x450.jpg

macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 introduces support for Messages on iCloud, a feature that was previously present in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 betas before being pulled ahead of the release of the update. Messages on iCloud is also available in iOS 11.4.

The Messages on iCloud feature is designed to store your iMessages in iCloud for improved syncing. Right now, incoming iMessages will be sent to all devices where you're signed into your Apple ID, but it's not true cloud-based syncing because your old messages don't show up on new devices nor does deleting a message remove it from all of your devices, both features enabled through Messages on iCloud.

Messages on iCloud also allows your older iMessages to be stored in iCloud rather than on your iPhone, iPad or Mac, saving valuable storage space. Older attachments are also stored in iCloud.

The update also likely includes bug fixes and performance improvements for issues that weren't addressed in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, but as Apple does not provide detailed release notes for macOS High Sierra updates, we may not know exactly what's included until the new software is provided to the public.

No major outward-facing changes were found in the first two betas of macOS High Sierra 10.13.5, but we'll update this post should any new features be found in the third.

The previous macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update brought support for external graphics processors (eGPUs) along with Business Chat in Messages and several other bug fixes and smaller feature improvements.

Update: Apple has made a new public beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 available to its public beta testing group.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 to Developers [Public Beta Available]

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Does this beta allow for seamless stream to the homepod?

I can't use the homepod connected to my mac because of the delay, and its a little ridiculous... I mean if AirPods can do it, I really don't understand why the homepod can't.

Reactions: Wilburx3

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
I use a USB-C dongle with HDMI for a large external monitor, and plug a displaylink USB/VGA adapter into the dongle for a second smaller monitor. Much less expensive than a dock that can support two monitors. Was working beautifully until 10.13.4. Hope they get it fixed.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Hope it fixes the mouse cursor issues on external displays that were introduced in 10.13.4.

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014
Does this beta allow for seamless stream to the homepod?

I can't use the homepod connected to my mac because of the delay, and its a little ridiculous... I mean if AirPods can do it, I really don't understand why the homepod can't.

This is because the AirPods are bluetooth, while the HomePods are Airplay (wifi) only, which requires a couple of seconds of buffering. Don't wait for a fix because there will be never one.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
This is because the AirPods are bluetooth, while the HomePods are Airplay (wifi) only, which requires a couple of seconds of buffering. Don't wait for a fix because there will be never one.
Stop making things up or guessing. I have an Airplay enabled hifi receiver (over wifi) with absolutely zero delay (mouth to audio sync have imperceivable delay), same with using my MBP as an audio source for streaming audio to my receiver via my AppleTV, so yes, that zero delay is and will be possible with HomePod.

Reactions: LaraCroft835

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Stop making things up or guessing. I have an Airplay enabled hifi receiver (over wifi) with absolutely zero delay (mouth to audio sync have imperceivable delay), same with using my MBP as an audio source for streaming audio to my receiver via my AppleTV, so yes, that zero delay is and will be possible with HomePod.

Actually, AirPlay 1 always has a fixed two-second delay.

Reactions: afir93

zantafio

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2014

Of course video and audio are in sync, but the video starts playing a second or two after you push the play button.
Now try to play some video games on your Apple TV.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
He's neither making things up nor guessing, AirPlay 1 in it's current form does always have a 2-second delay. The reason for why you might not be aware of it is because the OS oftentimes compensates for it when playing for example a video; it will buffer the video 2 seconds and then start playing audio and video synced up so that it still is watchable. It's in sync because everything is delayed 2 seconds.

But not all video apps or websites support that automatic buffering, let alone things like real-time video/audio editing tools or video games, which is why the HomePod is only usable as a general purpose speaker for your Mac/PC/iOS device in a very limited capacity. AirPlay 2 is supposed to improve that delay; what we don't know so far is if the delay will be brought down to Bluetooth-levels (in other words, unnoticeable for the average ear, which I really hope will be the case) or if it will "only" be slightly reduced but remain noticeable.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Actually, AirPlay 1 always has a fixed two-second delay.
Irrelevant, both Macs and HomePod will be updated to Airplay 2 which had no inherit delay, or atleast impercievable according to the Apple engineers at last years WWDC, so claiming that HomePod will never get a virtually delay-free audio stream capability like he claimed is factually wrong

The poster i quoted claimed that HomePod will never get a no-delay system, which it will, the HomePod will get updated to Airplay 2 and when that happens it will have a no-delay system implemented, which the posted claimed will never happen.

Also, the comment he quoted had issue with apparently perceivable delay, in whatever means the buffer system is implemented there should be no delay, not even today, the delay should be imperceivable since the streams are fully synced, his issue WILL be fixed, as opposed to the poster i quoted who claimed it will never be fixed.

Last edited:

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Irrelevant, both Macs and HomePod will be updated to Airplay 2 which had no inherit delay,

This is completely irrelevant to your original assertion, which was about AirPlay 1 vs. Bluetooth. Someone said they experience lower latency with Bluetooth, and you said they were “making things up or guessing.” Not so.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
The poster i quoted claimed that HomePod will never get a no-delay system, which it will, the HomePod will get updated to Airplay 2 and when that happens it will have a no-delay system implemented, which the posted claimed will never happen.

Also, the comment he quoted had issue with apparently perceivable delay, in whatever means the buffer system is implemented there should be no delay, not even today, the delay should be imperceivable since the streams are fully synced, his issue WILL be fixed, as opposed to the poster i quoted who claimed it will never be fixed.
First of all, we don't know if AirPlay 2 will have no delay, the only official knowledge about the topic is that it will have reduced delay. Reduced could also mean that it will go down from 2 seconds to 1.9 which wouldn't change anything about the things the HomePod isn't suitable for as a speaker right now.

Regarding your second point: as I said in my previous post (which you conveniently replaced with *text* when quoting me), streams sync up right now in some applications some of the time; your claim that every stream/video right now is synced up via AirPlay is simply not true. Your point only really works when you ignore the tons of stuff where the app or website either doesn't support the auto-sync or where the task at hand naturally requires live-audio (e.g. games, video/audio editing, etc.).

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Okay now you guys confused me even more... Hahaha

I was under the impression airplay 2 will fix the homepod delay on macs. Is this not true?

Even if there still is a delay, they should be able to work it so it syncs with the video you're watching no? Thats how it currently works on IOS, just not macOS.

If not, that is really disappointing. I love my homepod, would be really upset if I can only use it for my phone. Every time I want to watch a video with good sound, I have to do it through my iPhone, while I much prefer do that through my MacBook pro.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Okay now you guys confused me even more... Hahaha

I was under the impression airplay 2 will fix the homepod delay on macs. Is this not true?

AirPlay 2 is mainly about multi-room support. As a side effect, the latency will change. Currently, all AirPlay devices operate at a fixed latency of 2 seconds. With AirPlay 2, the latency is negotiated with the participating devices, and if they can manage a lower latency, they'll take advantage of that.

Even if there still is a delay,

There'll definitely still be a delay. Wireless doesn't come without latency.

they should be able to work it so it syncs with the video you're watching no? Thats how it currently works on IOS, just not macOS.

It already should support that on both iOS and macOS. What video player are you using?

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
AirPlay 2 is mainly about multi-room support. As a side effect, the latency will change. Currently, all AirPlay devices operate at a fixed latency of 2 seconds. With AirPlay 2, the latency is negotiated with the participating devices, and if they can manage a lower latency, they'll take advantage of that.
This pretty much. The big new feature about Airplay 2 is the multi-room support, reduced latency (which was Apple's choice of words – not "zero" latency, "reduced") was only stated as a side-effect.

The big wildcard right now is how big the new latency will be; it could be anywhere between 0 and 2 seconds. Now we all hope that it will be "practically" zero (as in, not really zero seconds for the reason you gave, but so close to it that it won't be distinguishable from a zero-delay for the average human ear) which is pretty much where Bluetooth audio streaming is at. But as there is no beta profile for the HomePod available, no-one can test the new latency right now (unless streaming from an iOS device on the latest beta to an Apple TV on the latest beta already uses AirPlay 2? But I'm not sure about that).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.