Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 10.2 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the second tvOS 10.2 update and nearly a month after releasing tvOS 10.1.1, the current release version of tvOS.

Designed for the fourth-generation Apple TV, the third tvOS 10.2 beta can be obtained by connecting the Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, downloading and installing the software from a registered developer account via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Once a profile is installed, subsequent betas can be downloaded over the air.

Given the tricky installation requirements, tvOS betas are limited to developers and will not be provided to the public.

tvOS-10.2-beta-800x500.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 10.2 introduces improved scrolling behavior, allowing tvOS users to scroll through large lists of information more quickly. A large swipe on the Siri remote automatically activates the new scrolling mode, and a swipe on the far right side of the remote allows users to navigate specific indexes.

It's likely there are other small feature tweaks and bug fixes included in tvOS 10.2, even though additional changes have not been specifically outlined by Apple. We'll update this post should any new content be found in the third tvOS 10.2 beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 10.2 to Developers

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
My ATV2 hasn't had a refresh in some time. And I guess probably never will. I did buy the ATV4 for my mother but I was disappointed as I pitched to her how easy it would be to use with "voice"...and it was not. Hoping a SW update for her ATV4 will improve functionality.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
The remote is so sensitive, you can practically make it change channels with your mind. Seriously, it's way too sensitive. D:
I totally agree! Me and my wife joke about how we can't breathe around the remote. Also, I love simplicity and all. I really do. But the remote is so simple it's a challenge to use. Blerg.
[doublepost=1487622419][/doublepost]
You watch TV with the remote constantly in your hand?
On our laps maybe. Think a little before you criticize...

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
The remote is so sensitive, you can practically make it change channels with your mind. Seriously, it's way too sensitive. D:
You know you can change that in settings?

What irks me is the scrolling direction. It's not 'natural', or consistent with EVERY other Apple device.

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
You watch TV with the remote constantly in your hand?

All it takes is a touch and the thing changes channels in directv now. So inconvenient to have to set channel , gently place 10 feet away to avoid incidental contact and get up back and forth. apparently no one watches tv in bed at all?
[doublepost=1487625727][/doublepost]

What irks me is the scrolling direction. It's not 'natural', or consistent with EVERY other Apple device.

Settings changes do not work at all., been there, wasted my time setting them.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I'm not on beta but my latest update on AppleTV has an annoying bug. After couple days in Light theme it will switch to Dark theme. Then when you try to switch back to Light that's when it's start to mess the menu the text background shading is messed up. Anybody else had that problem or can somebody report it for us. Thanks!

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I totally agree! Me and my wife joke about how we can't breathe around the remote. Also, I love simplicity and all. I really do. But the remote is so simple it's a challenge to use. Blerg.
[doublepost=1487622419][/doublepost]
On our laps maybe. Think a little before you criticize...
I like the remote app especially on the iPad. Large size, easy to read in all lightening environments, almost never use the included remote.

Reactions: naeS1Sean

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
All it takes is a touch and the thing changes channels in directv now. So inconvenient to have to set channel , gently place 10 feet away to avoid incidental contact and get up back and forth. apparently no one watches tv in bed at all?
[doublepost=1487625727][/doublepost]

Settings changes do not work at all., been there, wasted my time setting them.

Strange. I've been using it with directv now and even when the remote is on the bed with me I don't accidentally change the channel.
[doublepost=1487637180][/doublepost]
I'm not on beta but my latest update on AppleTV has an annoying bug. After couple days in Light theme it will switch to Dark theme. Then when you try to switch back to Light that's when it's start to mess the menu the text background shading is messed up. Anybody else had that problem or can somebody report it for us. Thanks!

I get that randomly. Only way to fix it is a restart.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I love the Apple TV but hate the remote! Thinner and lighter isn't always better. The remote isn't overly sensitive to me. It just winds up between the cushions on our couch way too much. It needs to be bigger. Good luck if it's dark trying to determine if your holding the right end of it. They need to do something so you can feel which end your holding when it's dark. I wind up using my iPhone or iPad to control the device most evenings.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
I love the Apple TV but hate the remote! Thinner and lighter isn't always better. The remote isn't overly sensitive to me. It just winds up between the cushions on our couch way too much. It needs to be bigger. Good luck if it's dark trying to determine if your holding the right end of it. They need to do something so you can feel which end your holding when it's dark. I wind up using my iPhone or iPad to control the device most evenings.

The ATV remote is the epitome of designer's designing to form, not function. Apple was once a pioneer/leader in fusing elegant minimalism with expected functionality. THAT I believe was Jobs' biggest gift, and it is *sorely* missed at the company today.

Reactions: Macaholic868

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

YES!!! That was the first thing I tried to change when I got my AppleTV last week. It's crazy that years ago, they changed the default scroll direction to be "natural" in macOS, but in tvOS, it's the opposite with no way to change it!

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
YES!!! That was the first thing I tried to change when I got my AppleTV last week. It's crazy that years ago, they changed the default scroll direction to be "natural" in macOS, but in tvOS, it's the opposite with no way to change it!

Maybe the don't call it scrolling in that sense but more of "moving around a point of focus"?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I wonder if this update fixes how much the remote sucks. /s

IMO the remote is probably the worst designed Apple product in a long long time. I'm guessing the testers and designers never used the remote in a dark environment. I finally resorted to using a connector from a broken lightning cable that I plug in to be able to better tell which end is up in a dark room!

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
IMO the remote is probably the worst designed Apple product in a long long time. I'm guessing the testers and designers never used the remote in a dark environment. I finally resorted to using a connector from a broken lightning cable that I plug in to be able to better tell which end is up in a dark room!
Yep. I completely agree.

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Per
Yep. I completely agree.
personally I don't have a problem with the remote ( maybe I have a very soft touch , so wife says anyhow ) my main gripe is the repeat in the photo slide show out of 12k photos we always see the same say 50 ? Bit annoying maybe one day it'll be fixed , no doubt if I buy the next gen

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
The ATV remote is the epitome of designer's designing to form, not function. Apple was once a pioneer/leader in fusing elegant minimalism with expected functionality. THAT I believe was Jobs' biggest gift, and it is *sorely* missed at the company today.

You nailed it. Nobody, it seems, tells Johnny Ive "no". How a device looks doesn't matter if that look reduced its functionality. Jobs knew where to draw the line.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You

You do know where to set the sensitivity of that, right?
1. Nooooo. There's a setting?? Thanks!
2. You mean "Touch Surface Tracking", right? That never dawned on me.
You think you understand more than you do. We're referring to how easy it is to press that trackpad unintentionally, not the sensitivity of the touch surface's tracking, which is the setting you guys mentioned. I've never had a remote in my life, where you have to be extra careful when you pick it up, to avoid accidentally pushing a button, or massive trackpad in this case. It was poorly thought out. The trackpad is WAY too easy to accidentally press. In real-world usage, the design is flawed.

Plus, you never had to worry about brushing the top of your remote before, now you do, thanks to that trackpad. I dislike everything about the new remote, really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.