MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.1 update to developers for testing purposes, a week after seeding the second tvOS 11.1 update and a month after releasing tvOS 11 to the public.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.1 beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode on the Mac.

tvos-11.1-beta-800x500.jpg

The tvOS 11.1 update appears to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements rather than outward-facing design changes, and no new features were found in the first two betas. Should anything notable surface in the third tvOS 11.1 beta, we'll update this post.

tvOS 11 introduces features like full support for AirPods, automatic switching between light and dark mode based on local time, Home screen syncing options designed to keep multiple Apple TVs in a single household in sync, and new background modes and notification support.

Update: Apple has also released a new tvOS 11.1 beta for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 11.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Would love for them to give options to adjust overscan on these boxes. My Panasonic and ViewSonic TVs have no adjustment for this, so some of the content runs off the edge of the screen in some apps.

Comment

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Does anyone know what 11.1 adds/changes/fixes? I haven’t been able to find any kind of info on this.

Comment

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Hopefully fixes inability to watch movie trailers, because that’s clearly an edge-case.

And the junk TV app on all platforms.

Itunes was always a mess. But these content apps and cloud services and their quality problems are making me stop buying from Apple. I switched to Spotify and have zero interest in Apple Music because of all of the music library corrupting bugs and general shoddiness, but I stayed with buying TV shows and movies because it was the best experience.

But no longer. Last three plane flights have failed to play all downloaded movies. Downloads take significantly longer than competing services. Playing rentals across devices used to be inconsistent, now doesn’t really work anymore.

I’ve spent a lot of money with Apple for content. 1,000+ movies, 600gb Music, etc. I bet I was one of their larger customers. But i no longer spend like that, and I am about to drop Apple content altogether. No exclusive content will overcome shoddy products.

(And if they continue to ship operating systems like iOS 11, with tons of bugs, sloppy designs, and crap battery life, people will leave the iPhone platform too. The hardware isn’t that much better nowadays than the Pixel line. Better, for sure, but not deal with crap apps and battery life better. And the AI tools google are embedding are amazing, Yes, it”s google so it’s creepy surveillance, but most people don’t care.)

Last edited:
Comment

mountainview

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Would love for them to give options to adjust overscan on these boxes. My Panasonic and ViewSonic TVs have no adjustment for this, so some of the content runs off the edge of the screen in some apps.

Are you sure that the TV's are not able to adjust overscan? I remember my Panasonic Plasma being able to do so. With Apple TV there is a test pattern "Settings/Video and Audio/Calibrate/Zoom & Overscan".

Comment

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
so still no Auto mode for the Video Format Switch issue. Have the jagoffs even admitted that it's a problem? Was watching my ATV4k last night and it quickly became annoying having to manually set Dolby Vision and HDR settings whenever I watched something.

Reactions: gim
Comment

Macrecon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
so still no Auto mode for the Video Format Switch issue. Have the jagoffs even admitted that it's a problem? Was watching my ATV4k last night and it quickly became annoying having to manually set Dolby Vision and HDR settings whenever I watched something.

Surely you must know that it’s not a problem. At the contrary is what Apple intended. Atv is what it is but a fully customizable media player is not. Never been. I’m actually happy they put 24hz on it.

Reactions: Bswails
Comment

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
Surely you must know that it’s not a problem. At the contrary is what Apple intended. Atv is what it is but a fully customizable media player is not. Never been. I’m actually happy they put 24hz on it.

I just want it to automatically switch to the appropriate resolution. I don't want to have to keep manually switching my settings. It's a pain in the ass.

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

I have a similar issue, where I use my ATV4 on a projector that supports 1280x800, but if I actually tell it to use that resolution, the image is stretched to fit that rather than adding more vertical space on the top and bottom when watching 4:3 videos. 1280x800 is such a common projector resolution that it should be well-supported despite it not being exactly 16:9.

When I reported this bug I got no response, and it's still unfixed after many revisions. I'm probably such a minor edge case that they don't care. :p

Comment

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
tvOS 11 introduces features like full support for AirPods

what do they mean "full support"? I haven't used my AirPods with my apple TVs but I've used my Studio 3s and those have been just fine. I'm wondering what's lacking.

edit: any word on bringing back the "unwatched" sections?
[doublepost=1508184434][/doublepost]
Hopefully fixes inability to watch movie trailers, because that’s clearly an edge-case.

Itunes was always a mess. But these content apps and cloud services and their quality problems are making me stop buying from Apple. I switched to Spotify and have zero interest in Apple Music because of all of the music library corrupting bugs and general shoddiness, but I stayed with buying TV shows and movies because it was the best experience.

But no longer. Last three plane flights have failed to play all downloaded movies. Downloads take significantly longer than competing services. Playing rentals across devices used to be inconsistent, now doesn’t really work anymore.

I’ve spent a lot of money with Apple for content. 1,000+ movies, 600gb Music, etc. I bet I was one of their larger customers. But i no longer spend like that, and I am about to drop Apple content altogether. No exclusive content will overcome shoddy products.

(And if they continue to ship operating systems like iOS 11, with tons of bugs, sloppy designs, and crap battery life, people will leave the iPhone platform too. The hardware isn’t that much better nowadays than the Pixel line. Better, for sure, but not deal with crap apps and battery life better. And the AI tools google are embedding are amazing, Yes, it”s google so it’s creepy surveillance, but most people don’t care.)

I've seen a few bugs in tvOS 11 as well but what problems are you having playing downloaded files on airplanes? I travel a lot for both business and pleasure and watching shows on my iPad is how I spend a lot of my time in flight, I don't have any problems with it at all.

Comment

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Are you sure that the TV's are not able to adjust overscan? I remember my Panasonic Plasma being able to do so. With Apple TV there is a test pattern "Settings/Video and Audio/Calibrate/Zoom & Overscan".
Positive. Can't adjust zoom. Can only move the picture vertically or horizontally. My TV is just 720p, but having the ATV4 display at 720p results in a picture larger than the TV can display with no room for adjustment. If it were built into the box itself, it wouldn't matter what features a TV had.

Comment

BeardMan7

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
Germany

Ok, move on and enjoy your 1,000+ iTunes movies on your Pixel 2 o_Oo_Oo_O

Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Does Netflix work again on this beta? Not showing up for me when I try to update with the beta software on.

EDIT: Restarted and it showed up. Netflix works! Hopefully it sorts out all the other bugs (mostly sound clipping) too.

Last edited:
Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
what do they mean "full support"? I haven't used my AirPods with my apple TVs but I've used my Studio 3s and those have been just fine. I'm wondering what's lacking.

Perhaps the automatic adding of the AirPods to your Bluetooth device list through iCloud?

That's currently not working on my (non-beta) ATV4; I have to pair them manually.

Not that pairing them manually is difficult, but Apple is all about easy-to-use. I don't use AirPods with my ATV4 anyway; my Bose QC35 is more comfortable and sounds better, and blocks out noise so they end up on my head when I need headphones watching TV.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
I am looking forward to this update, as the last one has many bugs. None as bad as the tvOS launch (or the first year after), but a lot of apps are crashing for me. Also, that annoying touchpad lag is back, especially when going to the home screen from an app.

Something else that is annoying, pressing menu to exit a playing video sometimes makes the ATV4 go back to the home screen. Like as if I held the menu button down. I mostly see it with YouTube, but the bug might be present on other apps.

Hopefully this update will address some of these issues.
The tvOS 11.1 update appears to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements rather than outward-facing design changes

This seems to be the case with almost every tvOS update. Even the big updates are not that big.

Comment

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Perhaps the automatic adding of the AirPods to your Bluetooth device list through iCloud?

That's currently not working on my (non-beta) ATV4; I have to pair them manually.

Not that pairing them manually is difficult, but Apple is all about easy-to-use. I don't use AirPods with my ATV4 anyway; my Bose QC35 is more comfortable and sounds better, and blocks out noise so they end up on my head when I need headphones watching TV.

Strange, I'll have to try it. My Studio 3s paired automatically and they're the same W1 chip.

Comment

66gonzo

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
The real question is: 11.1 beta 3 be compatible with the official Xcode? I had to downgrade back to 11.0.3 to test.

Edit: wrong thread. Sorry.

Comment

SkimPappa

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
Please fix the issue where the top 3/4 of the screen is wasted space, while the bottom sliver is used for selecting a show you want to watch

Comment

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013

It's not only a problem, it is seriously making me consider if I should return the device as there's no guarantee that Apple will ever fix this. Never seen any device that forces one resolution and framerate for everything, except perhaps some consoles but I'm pretty sure even the PS3 switched modes for video.

It's a terrible solution, amazed it made it to the market without a feature that is so universal that most would consider it essential. And with HDR it is even more so. Many titles are designed for either no HDR, HDR10 or DV. With Apple TV you have to pick one or mess around changing the resolution each time, not only will the colours be applied wrong but you will also get the dreaded judder on media which is something that was eliminated from most media boxes in the late 2000s.

The convenience of the quick to access tv functions is squashed by this, and along with the fact that the device will probably never supports MKV natively in its own player (which is what Plex uses) makes the experience a step back in many regards.

Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I say this as a person who consumes a lot of video that falls of the internet trucks and is a lifetime Plexpass member: Why the heck should Apple support MKV natively?

Comment

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
I say this as a person who consumes a lot of video that falls of the internet trucks and is a lifetime Plexpass member: Why the heck should Apple support MKV natively?

It doesn't have to, but its an advantage. Why? When you have to remux on the fly to direct stream the transcode is written to the disk. Now we have 4k videos that can be 50-100GB that can mean quite a bit of wear on SSDs that may already be doing other heavy endurance tasks (as mine are). This isn't an essential, it's a nice to have. My TV and last media playing box (Xbox One) both have native support. It also means the file plays faster as well.

I knew going in that the ATV would be lacking codec support, but that combined with the lack of resolution switching has me questioning why I need it.

Comment

Smiffleblurf

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017

When VERGE put out their review of the Apple TV 4K, they complained to the Apple rep showcasing the device about the lack of format switching and the rep said it was by design to not auto-switch. The reason cited was the most Apple-esk kind of answer you'd expect, "It's inelegant".

However, the reviewer kept pressing the issue to them and they did say they are looking into possibly allowing auto-switching in a future firmware update. Nothing certain.

For native format purists, this will drive them nuts, so I get it. Personally after awhile I don't like to constantly verify the content formats and manually switch around the settings because I've already forgotten that I left it on something from before. So I personally set it to the best 4K Dolby Vision setting my TV allowed as the benefits of Dolby Vision far outweighs HDR 10 anyway. Everything has looked fine, so I'll deal with this until they hopefully hear the gripes and add auto-switching.

Last edited:
Comment

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
When VERGE put out their review of the Apple TV 4K, they complained to the Apple rep showcasing the device about the lack of format switching and the rep said it was by design to not auto-switch. The reason cited was the most Apple-esk kind of answer you'd expect, "It's inelegant".

However, the reviewer kept pressing the issue to them and they did say they are looking into possibly allowing auto-switching in a future firmware update. Nothing certain.

For native format purists, this will drive them nuts, so I get it. Personally after awhile I don't like to constantly verify the content formats and manually switch around the settings because I've already forgotten that I left it on something from before. So I personally set it to the best 4K Dolby Vision setting my TV allowed as the benefits of Dolby Vision far outweighs HDR 10 anyway. Everything has looked fine, so I'll deal with this until they hopefully hear the gripes and add auto-switching.

How hard is it to keep all of the options, but also add an auto mode? They just didn't care. It's this type of arrogance that is just pushing me away from Apple. In the past their products were good and innovative enough to justify their attitude toward their customers, now its not. I'm not a purist either, but being forced to constantly switch from DV to HDR is a pain. I've noticed when I left an HDR formatted to the DV setting it looks terrible because the HDR10 formatted content wasn't meant to be shown that way. Plus you have to remember your TV processes HDR and DV content differently so it does matter.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.