Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 11.2 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.2 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the second tvOS 11.2 update and two weeks after the launch of the tvOS 11.1.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.2 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

[​IMG]

According to Apple's release notes, the tvOS 11.2 update enables a new AVDisplayManager feature for developers, designed to allow the device to automatically switch video display modes to match the native frame rate and dynamic range of video content.

The update includes support for switching the Apple TV 4K display output to SDR for apps that are GPU-bound when running in HDR and it re-introduces the Unwatched category in Home Sharing for Movies, TV Shows, and Home Videos.

Apple says tvOS 11.2 also adds new features, bug fixes, and security improvements to the tvOS operating system.

Update: Today's tvOS 11.2 beta has also been provided to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 11.2 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Anyone know if there are any other features that affect regular ATV 4?

3. alaingarner macrumors newbie

alaingarner

Apple has made good on its Amazon Prime app promises and integrated it by default into the TV app, my mistake that was just wishful thinking

4. scott911 macrumors 6502a

looking fomr the short answer, because I think/ know this was covered before.

But I have a really nice 4k Screen, but NOT HDR. Before, I had selected SDR mainly because of the menu dimming thing.

But now that they're working on a fix to that worble, what is the reason that I would turn on HDR on a SDR display?

5. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Apple said Amazon would be releasing an Amazon Prime Video app this year. When Amazon releases the app, if they follow the appropriate APIs, then the Amazon content will show up in the TV app, just like the videos from dozens of other provider's apps. The indications are that this will happen. The year isn't over yet. No need to get snarky about it.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I don't understand. What are you complaining about here? Amazon hasn't even released their app yet AFAIK.

7. mikesilv macrumors newbie

Anyone else notice the list of Recently Updated apps in the App Store, under Purchases is missing?

8. kliface macrumors newbie

You wouldn’t. No need to enable HDR on a TV that is not capable of displaying it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Lots of sarcasm in his post. He is complaining because there still isn’t an Amazon Prime Video app available yet.

9. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Turning on HDR, in theory, when using a SDR TV should produce SDR colors as intended. The reasoning is that HDR can (and some say should) act as a ‘container’ wherein SDR, since it is a smaller range of colors, can also fit. Indeed, this is actually how Apple employs HDR on the Apple TV 4K, come to find out.

In practice, however, reviews have noted that colors are a little deeper with SDR content when HDR is turned on, especially with blacks, so some detail is lost, but not much. It’ll likely get better as refinements are made.

Think of it this way. People once watched black and white TVs. Then color TVs came out. Although color became all the range, black and white content could still be watched and displayed. It’s a similar analogy and this is likely where HDR is headed- as a container that will expand as the color gamut increases for content.

10. Tagmose macrumors newbie

Tagmose

11. TallGuyGT, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

I’ve found that Apple’s implentation of “remapping” SDR content to HDR can make SDR content look worse. I’m glad they’re letting that be a user setting.

If you have an SDR display, this wouldn’t affect you. The AppleTV will always display SDR since it knows your display isn’t HDR capable.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    In this case, the AppleTV wouldn’t attempt to display HDR since it will know the display is SDR (not HDR capable). It determines this during the HDMI “handshake”.

The problem is the opposite direction - trying to remap SDR content as HDR. I think the AppleTV does a poor job of this. My Sony TV has a built-in setting called “Live Color”, which does a slightly more respectable job of simulating an expanded dynamic range.

Glad that Apple is now giving us the option. I prefer to watch content in the native format, with a minimum of processing.

12. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

13. Loco69 macrumors newbie

When watching HDR content like screensaver/kodi or mrmc hdr video i have to boost contrast by 20 points to get good picture. it wasn't like this in 11.1.
    also the netflix blacks looks really bad.

can anyone confirm?

14. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Right, that's what I was saying. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter if you use the "HDR" or "SDR" settings when connected to a SDR display, since the SDR gamut (Rec 709) naturally lies within the HDR gamut (Rec. 2020). In practice however, and from what reviewers have noted, SDR color mapping isn't exactly accurate at the moment due to the container method. It'll get better as the color mapping is fine tuned.

15. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Except, when receiving an HDR signal most TVs kick into an HDR mode which limit adjustment options. What a mess that is when the TV is running in its HDR mode but only receiving an SDR signal.

16. Fortimir, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

In the first 60 seconds of use after updating it does appear to have fixed the laggy remote connection which was really getting on my nerves. That's wonderful.

*Update:* Not really. Man, my ATV4 worked better than this. The remote is unpredictable. Inputs are either dead-on, not received at all, or it will wait until I've tried 2-3 swipes and then unleash them all at once. Changing the speed from "fast" to "medium" helps a bit, I suppose.

17. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

This! I have a high end Sony TV, and once it goes into HDR mode, many settings are locked out. Particularly annoying are the settings for handling motion and 24FPS handling.

I need to do some testing to see if I can really see a benefit to HDR on my set. I unfortunately pick up on motion artifacts right away.