Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 13.3 Update to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 13.3 update to developers, one week after seeding the second beta and three weeks after releasing the tvOS 13.2 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 13.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the ?Apple TV? via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvOS updates (aside from major releases) have historically been minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. Apple provides little to no information on what's included in tvOS beta updates, so we may not discover any major changes after installing the software.

The update does, however, include a useful new setting that's designed to let you change the main banner interface in the TV+ app from What to Watch to Up Next, which shows content from shows that you're already watching instead of show suggestions.

The option can be accessed by going to the Settings app, choosing Apps, and selecting the TV app. From there, select Home Screen and choose "Up Next" in the "Top Shelf" section.

While we don't often know full details about what's new in tvOS during the beta testing process, we let MacRumors readers know when new updates are available so those who are developers can download it upon release.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 13.3 Update to Developers

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
New beta has option to get read of ads on home screen, aka previews. This is most welcome.

Now Apple needs to give us the power to filter out ads, aka suggested shows, which are littered across the AppleTV app itself. So tacky. The appletv has more ads than content we have access to. Heck, it’s worse than that. It has ads for channels you already subscribe to. We’re not android users.

Once upon a time, Apple mocked the payola crapware that ships on PCs. Where is the discerning taste today? Cut the ads or give us an option to do so for the AppleTV app. Or put the ads in a separate tab, call it “discover” like music.

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Now Apple needs to give us the power to filter out ads, aka suggested shows, which are littered across the AppleTV app itself.
They just need a tab for "here's your up-next list and things you've bought from us (movies/shows)", maybe with single buttons for each streaming service that you're subscribed to (that they support inside the TV app), with those buttons descending into a search/browse screen for that service (things you're already in the middle of on that service would already be in your up-next list, up at the top of this section, so you only need to dive into a specific streaming service to start something new). Have a single, similar "search/browse" button for Apple/iTunes to be able to buy/start something new there.

But, one tab that (aside from a row of search buttons at the bottom) just shows stuff you own or are in the middle of watching. I'm fine with them having other tabs full of things they're trying to tempt you with (turning the pages of a catalog is nice sometimes).

sos47

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2016
I want a clean screen when starting apple tv. no ads. no apple tv previews. it should be configurabable what one see on the start screen. the best for me would be the screensaver at startup.
when playing apple music it should also be configurabable if lyrics are on or not. mostly i want no lyrics.

Reactions: u+ive

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Public Beta out as well, the underwater screensavers are still missing for me ( they went missing for me since last beta). After restart Apple TV is still unresponsive for over a minute. The lack of the screensavers bothers me most, I am bored with all those ugly cities that keep repeating. The underwater ones were nice, but they just seem to be gone for me since last beta.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I’m happy to report that the lagging, picture-degrading, and pausing spinning wheel performance of our ATV 4 that started with the release of tvOS 13 has finally ended with the release of this beta.

Edit to add: We watched 2 shows last night with no lagging or pauses at all. Fingers crossed it's fixed for good.

Last edited: