Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 15.2 update to developers, with the software coming a week after the second beta and three weeks after the release of tvOS 15.1, an update that introduced SharePlay support.

Apple-TV-tvOS-15-Feature.jpg

Developers can download the new tvOS 15.2 beta by downloading a profile onto the ‌Apple TV‌ using Xcode.

tvOS updates are often minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. There's no word yet on what's included in tvOS 15.2 update, but we'll update this article should anything new be found.

Though we don't often know what's new in tvOS during the beta testing process, we let MacRumors readers know when new updates are available so those who are developers can download it upon release.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 15.2 to Developers

Rooster 🐓

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
Go on apple 🍏 I know I sound like a parrot 🦜 But please, if the A12 and airplay can do it, two OG HomePods AND two Homepod minis for surround 🙂 I will buy two orange HomePod minis if you do 🍊

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Does library tab finally work in the AppleTV app on Apple’s OWN hardware, or still busted?

It’s not like hardware and software integration is part of Apple’s strategy. Library tab hasn’t worked for years.

• Love
Reactions: nrose101

InauguralHobbit

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
I feel like such a sucker for buying the 2021 AppleTV 4K. I'm tired of the fact that Apple supports over-the-air Bitstream Passthrough for the HomePods & HomePod Minis, yet a device specced as HDMI 2.1 doesn't support Bitstream Passthrough via an HDMI cable. Balancing & track levels vary wildly (even in Atmos), and honestly sound terrible when streaming this device with my LG C1 & VIZIO Elevate. When I use my Xbox Series X with C1 & Elevate, everything--and I mean everything--sounds miles better; more tonally balanced, better dialogue clarity, less distortion at higher volume levels, etc. Obviously the AppleTV 4K has higher quality video processing, since it is a dedicated device for streaming/watching content, but--for me--my gripe with the lack of Bitstream Passthrough is the hill I will die on, AND precisely why I always choose to stream on my Series X vs the AppleTV 4K.

Seriously; I can't tell you how livid I am in regard to this fractured experience across the board with streaming devices. I've found the Xbox (in tandem with a soundbar system & the Dolby Access app) to sound the absolute best when compared to AppleTV 4K, or Nvidia's Shield (Pro). The rest of the devices out there don't even come close to be considered for comparison.

Apple, you need to add Bitstream Passthrough on the AppleTV 4K, Xbox has been doing it since the One S & One X, so there's NO need for the HDMI 2.1 spec to support Bitstream Passthrough. It's getting exhausting. I've gifted my AppleTV 4K to family who aren't concerned with the potential experience of home theater setups.

Last edited:

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Does library tab finally work in the AppleTV app on Apple’s OWN hardware, or still busted?

It’s not like hardware and software integration is part of Apple’s strategy. Library tab hasn’t worked for years.
Details? I have a large shared library available and can access it.

Realityck

macrumors 68030
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I feel like such a sucker for buying the 2021 AppleTV 4K. I'm tired of the fact that Apple supports over-the-air Bitstream Passthrough for the HomePods & HomePod Minis, yet a device specced as HDMI 2.1 doesn't support Bitstream Passthrough via an HDMI cable. Balancing & track levels vary wildly (even in Atmos), and honestly sound terrible when streaming this device with my LG C1 & VIZIO Elevate. When I use my Xbox Series X with C1 & Elevate, everything--and I mean everything--sounds miles better; more tonally balanced, better dialogue clarity, less distortion at higher volume levels, etc. Obviously the AppleTV 4K has higher quality video processing, since it is a dedicated device for streaming/watching content, but--for me--my gripe with the lack of Bitstream Passthrough is the hill I will die on, AND precisely why I always choose to stream on my Series X vs the AppleTV 4K.

Seriously; I can't tell you how livid I am in regard to this fractured experience across the board with streaming devices. I've found the Xbox (in tandem with a soundbar system & the Dolby Access app) to sound the absolute best when compared to AppleTV 4K, or Nvidia's Shield (Pro). The rest of the devices out there don't even come close to be considered for comparison.

Apple, you need to add Bitstream Passthrough on the AppleTV 4K, Xbox has been doing it since the One S & One X, so there's NO need for the HDMI 2.1 spec to support Bitstream Passthrough. It's getting exhausting. I've gifted my AppleTV 4K to family who aren't concerned with the potential experience of home theater setups.
You mean eARC (audio return) not what some people label as bitstream passthrough don't you? ATV4K eARC support is limited to stereo only for say HomePods or something else using that audio I recall.

Most people that use Apple TV 4K in a home theater setup tend to use it tradition one path. ATV4K -> AVR or SoundBar -> 4K TV. Use eARC in some instances for outputting TV audio back to a AVR or SoundBar.

HDMI 2.1 Marketing terms
  • Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable
  • Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
  • Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
  • Quick Frame Transport (QFT)
  • Quick Media Switching (QMS)
  • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)

Last edited:

Anthony Sullivan

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2021

Good lord, talk about first world problems.

• Disagree
Reactions: InauguralHobbit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.