Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 9.2.1 to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 27, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today provided developers with the third beta of an upcoming 9.2.1 update to tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. Today's beta comes one week after tvOS 9.2.1 beta 2. tvOS 9.2.1 has been in testing since April 6.

tvOS 9.2.1 is a minor update that comes more than a month after the launch of tvOS 9.2, a significant update introducing features like Bluetooth keyboard support, dictation, Siri search for the App Store, app folders, and more.

[​IMG]

tvOS betas are more difficult to install than beta updates for iOS and OS X. Installing the tvOS beta requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Those who have already installed the first two tvOS 9.2.1 betas will be able to update to the third beta over the air.

As a minor 9.x.x update, tvOS 9.2.1 appears to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements that are not readily obvious to Apple TV users. No outward-facing changes have been found in the first two tvOS 9.2.1 betas, but should any new features be found in beta 3, we'll list them below.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 9.2.1 to Developers

2. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

How's the app switcher doing in the beta now? The one introduced in 9.2 is somewhat sluggish to react compared to iOS.

3. slapppy macrumors 65816

Any fix with Stuttering, random stops of home sharing movies that are already buffered into ATV 4. What about AC3 passthrough? Why did they even take that one out? Just stupid and makes no sense.

4. speedlimiter macrumors member

That's not true. You can install the developer profile directly on the tvOS device through the settings app.

5. alichoudhry macrumors newbie

Yeah been doing that on mine! :)

6. t0mat0, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

7. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Yeah, and since 9.2 both mine are dropping connection from homesharing, I have to go and restart iTunes on my media server to get them to connect after falling asleep, so irritating!

Can't even get 5.1 surround sound to work either, the new options are worthless. Why not just do passthrough!?!? Anyone know how to get 5.1 surround sound to work under 9.2???

8. Bowside macrumors newbie

Bowside

What I really need is a notification system which tells me when the latest episodes of my favorites shows are available within each app, or even better some sort of programme diary that looks like an channel EPG only with my chosen content listed against the day when it comes out. When will we get something like that ?

9. skovira macrumors newbie

that would be nice but i doubt they will do that

10. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Settings - Audio and Video - Surround Sound - (select the 5.1 option)

As I've understood it this automatically re-encodes the Apple TV's ouput as Dolby Digital 5.1. It's not optimal, but it works (atleast with my AVR). The "best" option ouputs LPCM, but the ATV apparently mangles the metadata causing my AVR to not recognize it as multichannel PCM. Or that's what I've managed to research on the net, anyway.

I really hope Apple will eventually offer a pure passthrough option even if it means not being able to mix in UI sounds.

11. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Yeah, I've done that. My old work around was to select stereo, play a video in my library for 2 seconds, then back out into settings as go back to 5.1 Surround and then go to the film I actually wanted to watch. That used to work until 9.2 - Now they replaced the Auto setting with Best Available, which doesn't do anything for me, Stereo, and the 5.1 option. Nothing works for me! I've got a Yamaha AVR, and it plays YouTube from the Apple TV with 5.1 so there is something screwy going on, why do they have to break what wasn't broken with the ATV 3, where I just hooked up an optical cable and got 5.1 every time!

EDIT: Who in the entire world gives a flying FUBAR about the UI sound mixing except Apple?!? They made those sounds a higher priority than the actual content, and that is the sign of decline right there.

12. foxcub6 macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2016 ---
    Let's home it fixes the photo app slideshow and screen saver problems also home sharing is a mess