Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.2 update to developers, one week after releasing the second beta and three weeks after the launch of macOS Catalina 10.15.1.

The new macOS Catalina beta can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the System Preferences app after installing the appropriate profile from the Developer Center.

macos-catalina-wallpaper-800x479.jpg

We don't yet know what improvements the second update to macOS Catalina will bring, but it most likely focuses on performance improvements, security updates, and fixes for bugs that weren't able to be addressed in the macOS Catalina 10.15.1 update.

We didn't find any major new changes worth noting in the first two betas, but we'll update this article should anything notable be found in the third beta.

macOS Catalina is a major update that does away with iTunes in favor of new Music, Podcasts, and TV apps. It also nixes support for 32-bit apps, adds a new Find My app, brings a new Photos interface, and includes multiple privacy enhancements and other app refinements.

For more on everything that's new in macOS Catalina, make sure to check out our dedicated macOS Catalina roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.2 Update to Developers

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
still too buggy. Still has regressive media apps with critical bugs, e.g. can’t load large libraries without timing-out.. Too risky to our professional workflows.

Catslina may be a hard pass altogether as we wait for the inevitable “snow leopard’ release.

Problem is new Macs which finally fix the keyboard nightmare require Catalina.

It’s hard being an Apple biz customer nowadays.

schlitzz

macrumors regular
still too buggy. Still has regressive media apps with critical bugs, e.g. can’t load large libraries without timing-out.. Too risky to our professional workflows.

Catslina may be a hard pass altogether as we wait for the inevitable “snow leopard’ release.

Boring. It's going to be a rough Holiday with that outlook.

• Wow
Reactions: Babygotfont

eric89074

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012

It’ll probably be like high Sierra where it was junk until the last few point releases.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
3GB on 2019 imac.
Only thing I'm updating at the moment.
iMac Pro and 2019 15" MBP and 2018 mm later.

auslad88

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
Australia
Disappointed as well ! I can’t even use finder to sync photos via USB from Mac to iPhone or iPad for albums located in folders (photos.app) . Massive issue have reported it over and over again and still we get more emojis . What a mess

• Love

ozonep

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2019
Someone knows the best way to do a clean install for dev betas?
Had problem with 10.15.2.
Installed 10.15.1 => updated it to 10.15.2 Beta 2 => rebooted to local recovery (Command+R) and reinstalled MacOS. But was very surprised to see that somehow got 10.15.1 Beta 2 installed 0_o

• Haha

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I hope this update fixes Catalina.

Seriously, boot time is horrible for me and I constantly get screen flicker when using external monitor on USB-C - never happened in Mojave.
Still draining more battery than Mojave....

Fingers crossed and I hope they release it next week.

• Sad

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
Someone knows the best way to do a clean install for dev betas?
Had problem with 10.15.2.
Installed 10.15.1 => updated it to 10.15.2 Beta 2 => rebooted to local recovery (Command+R) and reinstalled MacOS. But was very surprised to see that somehow got 10.15.1 Beta 2 installed 0_o

I had this happen to me couple of a days ago. It installed a beta of 10.15.1, but I forgot to note the exact build (beta 2 seems about right from what I remember). Had to update to released 10.15.1 first and then back to 10.15.2 beta2 through software update with beta profile.
Not sure why reinstall OS is stuck on reinstalling a beta version of 10.15.1 when reinstalling OS using 10.15.2 beta2. It’s worked correctly with other versions.

• Haha

rgranger

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Houston

You just harshed my mellow, dude!

• Angry

ozonep

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2019
Ok, problems I faced so far:
1) Calendar app doesn't show events from my iCloud calendar.
2) Had to restart Mac to connect AirPods Pro (before restarting it didn't want to connect, tried 2 times)
3) Seems that I can't turn noise cancelling on/off through sound menu on Mac.... Did have one on 10.15.1... Lol :)
4) For some apps MacOS gives me 2 "Allow notifications?" popups instead of 1... Can't understand pattern...

Problems solved:
1) The main reason I gave this beta a try - on 10.1.5.1 I had hiccups with AirPods Pro every few minutes (on iPhone everything's fine). Don't have this issue anymore (will update post if face this issue again).

Anyone with same issues?
P.S. That's crazy. Rebooted 1 more time - now I DO have noise cancelling controls.
Jesus... 2 restarts only to connect Bluetooth headphones...
I don't even have any alternative. Mojave doesn't support Pro's...

But still this beta is better than 10.15.1 Final :)

P.P.S. Regarding Calendar - it seems that iCloud itself is broken in some areas... For example, iCloud Drive tab shows nothing, like my storage is empty. But my Contacts do sync... Hmm

Last edited:
  • Sad

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Catalina should never have been released, it is a bug infested shi*t show. Brand new 16” MBP (same with previous 2019 15”)- Issues with:
Finder window sizing
Mail, hanging/freezing
Photos, not syncing with icloud
Messages, stuck “downloading from iCloud”
Bluetooth- damnit. Disconnects and reconnecting keyboard and mouse all day.
freezing mouse and overall sluggish response throughout the day for no apparent reason.
iCloud files not downloading/syncing

I am tired of troubleshooting this software, reminds me of why I left windows years ago.

ozonep

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2019
Not only Catalina, think about iOS 13. When they started testing 13.1 even before 13 was released... They had to remove some features just to release it with new iPhones.
Apple should really stop this. Stop releasing new OS version every year. It just doesn't work anymore.
iOS & MacOS become so advanced & complicated to work with so it's hard to eliminate all the bugs on time...

• Love

Babygotfont

Suspended
May 16, 2016
Not only Catalina, think about iOS 13. When they started testing 13.1 even before 13 was released... They had to remove some features just to release it with new iPhones.
Apple should really stop this. Stop releasing new OS version every year. It just doesn't work anymore.
iOS & MacOS become so advanced & complicated to work with so it's hard to eliminate all the bugs on time...

for me, iOS 13.x wasn't usable as a smart phone until 13.2.3 ... finally, my LTE/Wifi/HotSpot switching problem was resolved, and my phone isn't thermo-shutting down (this happened 2 times where the IPX - sprint was red-hot).

these aren't *extra* features ... these are the basics of a smart phone ... how did 13.0, 13.1, <13.2.3 pass ANY QA? any reasonable amount of field testing would have shown issues/problems

I get it when people say "nobody forces you to upgrade" ... agreed ... and perhaps I should stick with a major release behind ... however, apple is gluing features/app updates/new apps to the OS across the board ... reminders for instance ... Apple Card for instance ... Apple Pay for instance ... all these non-OS features are getting Microsoft (think windows and IE glued) together ... I don't think the EU is close to considering Apple anti-competitive ... but its heading that way ... someday, some legal entity will say "decouple the OS for your application/services" ... and apple will need to comply

ozonep

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2019
for me, iOS 13.x wasn't usable as a smart phone until 13.2.3 ... finally, my LTE/Wifi/HotSpot switching problem was resolved, and my phone isn't thermo-shutting down (this happened 2 times where the IPX - sprint was red-hot).

these aren't *extra* features ... these are the basics of a smart phone ... how did 13.0, 13.1, <13.2.3 pass ANY QA? any reasonable amount of field testing would have shown issues/problems

I get it when people say "nobody forces you to upgrade" ... agreed ... and perhaps I should stick with a major release behind ... however, apple is gluing features/app updates/new apps to the OS across the board ... reminders for instance ... Apple Card for instance ... Apple Pay for instance ... all these non-OS features are getting Microsoft (think windows and IE glued) together ... I don't think the EU is close to considering Apple anti-competitive ... but its heading that way ... someday, some legal entity will say "decouple the OS for your application/services" ... and apple will need to comply
They always force you to update. :(
For example, Dell or Lenovo do not force you to install Windows 10 November 2019 Update, you stick with May release if you want.
With Apple - you can't downgrade on Macbook Pro 16... Or AirPods Pro, or any future products.
These features shouldn't be glued to OS, yep. They should be added as drivers like in Windows.
Need support for MacBook Pro 16 on Mojave? No problem, just install this official driver/update.
AirPods Pro do not work? Sure, buddy, install this official app to control it.
Etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.