Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded third beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the second beta and a month after unveiling the tvOS 13 software at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV, the new tvOS 13 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier to discover new content. Apps are now able to play full-screen video previews right on the Home screen, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is available for the first time, letting more than one profile exist on the Apple TV so each family member can have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists.

Switching between profiles can be done with the new Control Center, which offers up profiles, the time and date, search, a Now Playing widget, AirPlay controls, and a sleep option.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

As part of the Apple Arcade preparations, Apple has implemented support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

There are new under the sea themed screensavers created in partnership with the BBC Natural History Unit, which also created "Blue Planet." Though not mentioned by Apple, beta 2 included a new Picture-in-Picture feature. Picture-in-Picture lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system.

tvos13pictureinpicture-800x428.jpg

tvOS 13 is available to registered developers and public beta testers at this time. The latest beta should be made available to public beta testers later this week.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of Upcoming tvOS 13 Update to Developers

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Well, that broke my Apple TV! Never had beta issues before, so first one is a doozy! can get into settings, tried resetting video settings, all sorts of other settings in there. Nothing! Ugh! Anyone else? I'm going to have to try factory reset after I get back later.
Image.jpeg

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Installed on two AppleTV 4k without issue.

Ok for some! :( It's unusable, can't navigate using the remote. Can open apps via Siri and those are fine, it's just the Apple TV interface. Reinstalling has not made it any better.

6FB38FA5-FBD5-43EF-BCE9-6298E5864417.jpeg ECB52AA7-22FD-4A17-85D5-AAC0BC8EA3B6.jpeg 7130AC5E-100C-4E6B-B2CD-41E026DA7593.jpeg

Last edited:

Ant Cleall

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2018
Anyone in the UK using BBC iPlayer?

It crashes on launch for me. B1 was ok.

Yep - crashes on me, contacted BBC with B2 and they said contact Apple as they don’t support the 4K Apple TV only the 4th Gen. Go figure that one!

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I can’t seem to get the update either. It has been a really troubling experience getting tvOS 13 updates.

Edit: Rebooted the Apple TV again and now I got it.

Last edited:

ks91

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
I can't seem to get the update, does anyones else have a problem getting "up next" to show before "What to watch" i hope that is not removed.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Ok for some! :( It's unusable, can't navigate using the remote. Can open apps via Siri and those are fine, it's just the Apple TV interface. Reinstalling has not made it any better.

View attachment 846217 View attachment 846218 View attachment 846219

So, if I swap it from the HDMI 1 input, to the HDMI 2 and then change it from 4K HDR 60Hz, to 4K SDR 60Hz, it came back to being full screen, but any other setting on there and it goes back to 1/4 the size, or if I swap back to HDMI 1, also even doing that process is hit and miss. Only started with Beta 3, so it's not my cable or screen. Roll on Beta 4!!

Matty1980

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2019
It doesn’t exist on Apple TV yet.

Hmmm, what's this?

"Though not mentioned by Apple, beta 2 included a new Picture-in-Picture feature. Picture-in-Picture lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system."

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Hmmm, what's this?

"Though not mentioned by Apple, beta 2 included a new Picture-in-Picture feature. Picture-in-Picture lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system."

So, a random quote you’ve given ,with not actual explanation as to how to invoke it. Evidence of it actually working? As it’s not when I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, UKTV play or steaming from my Mac content via computer.....

Matty1980

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2019
So, a random quote you’ve given ,with not actual explanation as to how to invoke it. Evidence of it actually working? As it’s not when I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, UKTV play or steaming from my Mac content via computer.....

It's not my quote. Read the very first message carefully. I just wish people would read the whole story before spouting off. That's all I'm saying. Sorry if I offend you. The pip has been mentioned in posts just not by Apple.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
It's not my quote. Read the very first message carefully. I just wish people would read the whole story before spouting off. That's all I'm saying. Sorry if I offend you. The pip has been mentioned in posts just not by Apple.

Oh that was buried in a large chunk, I read the article when it came out, but missed that, apologies. Even still, I do wish that people would put the source of a quote, as no-one will remember everything from a story 24 hours later.....

I'm not offended, it's just your post is kinda pointless without a method, since no-one here has posted that it's working, and I've tried, as per my post, it may as well not exist....... Therefore, my reply to @d21mike stands. If someone gets it working and tells us how to, then it doesn't exist. If Apple didn't put it in release notes (or even if they did) and there's no demos of it, then it could be a guess or something based on someone like Steve Troughton-Smith diving through coding. Or it maybe it requires apps to be updated to enable that functionality......

Matty1980

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2019
Oh that was buried in a large chunk, I read the article when it came out, but missed that, apologies. Even still, I do wish that people would put the source of a quote, as no-one will remember everything from a story 24 hours later.....

I'm not offended, it's just your post is kinda pointless without a method, since no-one here has posted that it's working, and I've tried, as per my post, it may as well not exist....... Therefore, my reply to @d21mike stands. If someone gets it working and tells us how to, then it doesn't exist. If Apple didn't put it in release notes (or even if they did) and there's no demos of it, then it could be a guess or something based on someone like Steve Troughton-Smith diving through coding. Or it maybe it requires apps to be updated to enable that functionality......

I can't find anywhere online that actually tells you how to do it.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I can't find anywhere online that actually tells you how to do it.

I’ve tried, as per my earlier post, and it’s not there. Which means the story is wrong and it’s not there, as per my post you originally replied to. Probably best to check if something actually is there by testing it yourself, rather than just get huffy that I missed a little line in the main story.

ks91

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
The PIP works on my TV. It must be an apple video from the store. and above the play bar is a video pop-out icon.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
The PIP works on my TV. It must be an apple video from the store. and above the play bar is a video pop-out icon.

Ahh ok, will try when I get home. Thanks for that! I’m guessing other apps that do video, will get the functionality when they update for TvOS 13 then!

It’s a bit rubbish that the main story never explained that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.