Apple Seeds Third Beta of watchOS 3.2 to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming watchOS 3.2 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the second watchOS 3.2 beta and nearly a month after the release of watchOS 3.1.3, the current public version of the operating system.

The watchOS 3.2 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update after installing the proper configuration profile on the iPhone. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 3.2 requires an iPhone running iOS 10 to install and will only be available to developers. Apple does not make watchOS betas available to the public as there is no way to downgrade the software on an Apple Watch.

watchOS 3.2 includes a "Theater Mode" designed to let customers quickly mute the sound on the Apple Watch and disable Raise to Wake, preventing the screen from lighting up with arm movement.

Theater Mode, originally introduced in watchOS 3.1.3, is being made available in watchOS 3.2. Customers are still able to receive haptic feedback-based notifications, and information can be viewed by either tapping the screen or pressing down on the Digital Crown.

watchOS 3.2 also brings SiriKit to the Apple Watch, allowing customers to ask Siri to do things like send messages, send payments, book a ride, log a workout, make a call, or search through photos. SiriKit has been available on iOS devices since the release of iOS 10, but is new to the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of watchOS 3.2 to Developers

2. walnuts macrumors 6502a

Of note to theatre mode, the current watchOS already has a function to view the display by very gradually increasing the brightness from off to barely visible using the Digital Crown. With the haptic feedback, the gradual on could allow for very discrete Watch checks in a dark environment...

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Adjusting the display brightness from the Digital Crown to barely dim is available only on Series 2. Otherwise, to adjust the brightness on a Series 1 or the first Generation Watch is only available to do so through Settings->Brightness.

4. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

5. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Theater mode seems cool. I was just at the movies yesterday and thought how annoying it must be for the people around and behind me to see my watch light up the few times I raised my arm. I don't know how often I check the time on my watch each day. It might be 2 or it might be 200. I might even try keeping it in theater mode all the time for a few days. I wonder how much it would increase battery life.

6. MrSimmo macrumors newbie

Hope it brings back the bloody 'lock' button; its a royal pain in the a*** that some genius removed it in 3.1x resulting in my 1 year old having great fun launching all manner of apps on the damn thing whilst she randomly grabs my wrist!

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think it will be used and appreciated by many. I turn raise to wake off and just tap the display/push the crown when wanting to illuminate the display. It works better for me.

8. 341328 Suspended

So Apple somehow prioritises "Theater Mode" over supporting multiple playlists being transferred to the watch? It is supposed to be an exercise device yet I can't listen to the music I want to. #ridiculous

9. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

For me, i made a new Playlist, "Apple Watch music" and just added all the songs that i like to that playlist and then sync it to Apple Watch. Not the best solution but it works for me.

10. 0098386 Suspended

Bizarre that's locked to series 2 watches only. I wonder what's preventing it.

11. 341328 Suspended

Yes, I know this "solution"! Been said many times. But this doesn't allow me to playback different types of music on shuffle, does it? It's a lame workaround when a proper solution is easy to add.

12. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I would like to see my iMessages synced with my Phone. It's tiresome to go in and delete iMessages from my Watch one by one.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Excellent point. And sometimes when you go to delete the messages from the Watch, the Watch won't delete the message right away or the message inadvertently text someone else. At least that's happened to me on a few occasions from the Watch.

14. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

The watch updates are so behind where they should be.......

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm not entirely sure why either. It could because The Series 2 has twice the brightness that of the first Gen Watch/Series 1 (1,000 Nits compared to 350 Nits). Apple might have allowed a short cut for the brightness to be adjusted for this specific advantage over the other two Watches.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I am also looking forward to this. I feel bad for those around me when going to the movies and I get a notification and by habit check my watch. Even if I don't need to look at the notification, I feel a vibrate and I raise my wrist.

17. Type4O macrumors 6502

Type4O

They changed the theatre mode icon. Previously it looked like the grindr icon.
    IMG_3027.PNG

18. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

19. Draven2000 macrumors newbie

There's a new unlock sound from the watch when using it to unlock your iMac or MacBook. Pretty cool. At least now I don't think I've gotten a text/email every time I open my MacBook.