Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming watchOS 8.1 beta to developers for testing purposes, with the update coming one week after the release of the second beta and two weeks after the release of the watchOS 8 update.

watchOS-8-on-Apple-Watch-feature.jpg

To install ‌‌‌watchOS 8.1‌‌‌, developers will need to download the configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once installed, ‌‌‌watchOS 8‌‌‌ can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software update.

To update to new software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌.

We don't yet know what's new in watchOS 8 and there were no new features found in the first two betas, but we'll update this article should anything new pop up in the third beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of watchOS 8.1 to Developers

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
Let’s see if this fixes the issue with trying to scroll when getting an email on your watch. For me, it just freezes.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2018
Maybe it will fix the issue of complications not refreshing without having to tap on them to get them to update.

Arnold Ziffel

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Maybe it will fix the issue of complications not refreshing without having to tap on them to get them to update.
Don't know if it's the same thing you're referring to, but my AW6 lags behind on displaying the current time when it is on dim-screen mode. Frustrating. Sometimes the time jumps ahead 15 minutes when the display arrives at full brightness. I don't recall that ever happening before.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It sure would be dandy to get back the auto connect and simultaneous connect feature of iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods.

How about getting a Watch notification with Announce Notifications enabled?

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2018
Don't know if it's the same thing you're referring to, but my AW6 lags behind on displaying the current time when it is on dim-screen mode. Frustrating. Sometimes the time jumps ahead 15 minutes when the display arrives at full brightness. I don't recall that ever happening before.
It doesn’t sound like the same thing. One of my complications is from My Radar. It shows the current temp and a little graphic for sun, rain, etc. Since the OS update, the temp will stay the same unless I actually touch the complication to open the My Radar watch app. It will then update the temp and conditions from my phone. When I close the app on the watch, the complication will show the correct current temp and conditions. This has happened to a number of my complications since Watch OS 6. One developer I communicated with said it was caused by App,e due to a change in how they wrote the OS. It’s not a game breaker but it would be nice for it to update. My heart rate app, HeartWatch requires the same manual update. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.