Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third betas of upcoming iOS 17.2 and iPadOS 17.2 updates to public beta testers, allowing non-developers to try out the software ahead of its release. The third iOS 17.2 and iPadOS 17.2 public betas come two weeks after Apple released the second public betas.

iOS-17.2-Feature-Triad.jpg

Public beta testers can get the beta by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the ‌iOS 17 or iPadOS 17‌ Public Beta. Signing up on Apple's beta testing website is required.

iOS 17.2 adds the Journal app, designed to let iPhone and iPad users record their daily activities and thoughts. Apple offers prompts that can be used as inspiration, and journal entries can be outfitted with images, voice recordings, location tags, and more.

Collaborative playlists are now available in Apple Music so you can create playlists that multiple people contribute to, and there's also now a Favorites playlist that has all the music you've favorited. Stickers can be used as tapback reactions in the Messages app, the Action Button on the iPhone 15 Pro models can now be set to a new Translate function, and Apple has implemented support for iMessage Contact Key Verification.

There are new Weather and Clock widgets, tweaks to the TV app, updates to Message syncing across devices, new Memoji options, and more, with the full list of features we've found so far available in our iOS 17.2 beta features article.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Public Beta of iOS 17.2 With Journal App and More

Reactions: supremedesigner

DeepWebinar

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2020
anyone running this? is it buggy? i’m interested in trying out the journal app but would have to put the beta on my main device and i don’t want to be miserable until december or whenever the final version drops 🙃

ScoobyDoo178

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2018
anyone running this? is it buggy? i’m interested in trying out the journal app but would have to put the beta on my main device and i don’t want to be miserable until december or whenever the final version drops 🙃
I am running the Dev beta and I have had no issues with anything. Not to say that you will not have any issues, but everything has been running fine for me, including battery life.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm excited Apple is listening to feedback and gave us the option to not put favorite songs in the overall library. That's been something I've been waiting for for a while and I'm glad I stuck with the streamer even though I am on a free trial for Spotify. I just always come back to Apple Music because the user interface is better.

peteyD

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
u can always remove the beta og need
Can you remove the beta, or just opt out of future betas? In the old days, you had to reset your phone to go back to a production version (at least that’s how I remember it….)

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
How do I get off the beta train? Stuck on iPad OS 17.2 beta 1 - I have switched of dev beta.
thanks

mrbobbo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
I have found PB2 to be terrible on iPhone XR and iPad Air 2022. Safari hangs on many pages, apps crash for no reason. I usually try PBs for each major OS release, and 17.x has been by far the worst. But then the RC for 17.x has been pretty bad too. I’m happy to hear others have had a different experience than that.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
iOS 17.2 adds the Journal app, designed to let iPhone and iPad users record their daily activities and thoughts.

I was going to have a look at the Journal app but... is it not in iPadOS 17.2 after all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.