Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 11 update to its public beta testing group, two weeks after providing testers with the second beta. The tvOS 11 public beta marks the first time public beta testers have had access to pre-release tvOS software, and this third beta corresponds to the fourth developer beta.

Prior to tvOS 11, public betas were limited to iOS and macOS software likely due to the slightly more complicated tvOS beta installation process, but now public beta testers can access all software platforms with the exception of watchOS thanks to new installation procedures.

tvos-11-beta-800x500.jpg

The tvOS 11 public beta can be obtained by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

Compared to iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, and watchOS 4, tvOS 11 is a minor update that brings few changes to the tvOS operating system. It's minor enough that it received no time on stage at the Worldwide Developers Conference aside from a mention of an Amazon Prime Video app coming to the Apple TV this fall.

According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 11 introduces automatic light/dark appearance switching based on local time, Home screen syncing options for syncing content between two or more Apple TVs in a household, new background modes and notification support, plus new tools for developers and improvements to Mobile Device Management.

Additional tvOS 11 features may be unveiled ahead of the operating system's public release, which is expected to be in the fall alongside other software updates.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Public Beta of tvOS 11 to Public Beta Testers

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Updated successfully. Took about 10 minutes.

Transistor (game) now opens without immediately crashing. Transistor wouldn't work in PB2. No other issues.

Last edited:

sjn419

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
I don’t have get beta updates under system in settings
edit: I was signed into the beta program under a different account

Last edited:

jonmannon

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
I was hoping to finally get PiP in tvOS. I'd like to go update a setting or check in on live TV without needing to switch between apps.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I don’t have get beta updates under system in settings
edit: I was signed into the beta program under a different account
The Get beta updates button disappeared for me as well, on both my ATVs, while logged in to the account that's enrolled for public betas. I had to log out and log back in to make it reappear.

Annoying, but it's worth it b/c of W1 chip headphones showing up as available audio devices. I signed up just for that...

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
I wonder if tvOS 11 fixes the lag when pressing the home button. With tvOS 10, there is a little bit of a delay, not like a few seconds, but long enough to make the user think that the ATV4 did not register the button press. So they repeat the press (or double press).

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
What do we want? DIRECTV!!! When do we want it? NOW!!!
I'd settle for just full CEC control for TVs that bloody well have it, but ATV reverts to IR anyway, meaning no volume control in the ATV remote app. Does Apple hate Sony or what gives?

ridgezin

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Does anyone know when xfinity single-sign-in compatibility will be available? Will it possibly be in one of the public betas?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Well, at least tvOS 11 solves a major issue with HBO Nordic (HBO = great content, miserable app, the Nordic version especially): The sound is no longer in mono. It used to be mono on both ATV and iOS. Since installing the public beta on ATV, I get stereo and 5.1. On my iPad, where I haven't installed the public beta, it's still mono in headphones etc. A codec thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.