Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded eleventh beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to developers and public beta testers, one week after seeding the tenth beta and more than two months after unveiling the tvOS 13 software at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 13 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier to discover new content. Apps are now able to play full-screen video previews on the Home screen, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is available for the first time, letting more than one profile exist on the Apple TV so each family member can have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists.

Switching between profiles can be done with the new Control Center, which offers up profiles, the time and date, search, a Now Playing widget, AirPlay controls, and a sleep option.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

As part of the Apple Arcade preparations, Apple has implemented support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

There are new under the sea themed screensavers created in partnership with the BBC Natural History Unit, which also created "Blue Planet." There's also a new Picture-in-Picture feature. Picture-in-Picture lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system.

tvos13pictureinpicture-800x428.jpg

tvOS 13 is available to registered developers and public beta testers at this time and will see an official public launch this fall.

Article Link: Apple Seeds tvOS 13 Beta 11 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
But is there an easy way to tag my profile so it doesn’t recommend episodes I watched on my wife’s profile?

Reactions: al256

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
I’m confused how the profiles will work. Do\can they each use a different iTunes account?

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
I just want them to let us disable the new top shelf ads for TV and Music, and the scrolling lyrics in Music. I hate those features so much and they're so obviously not for 100% of customers. Why would I want ads for Jonas Brothers or Taylor Swift videos? I have never listened to either of them and don't have a single track of theirs in my library. In tvOS 12, top shelf had shortcuts to albums I specifically added to my library.

Again, the features are fine for some users, but making them mandatory is terrible.

Reactions: neander and KazKam

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
"tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier to discover new content."

Translated from marketing speak: "tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier for us to make you watch advertisements."

Reactions: unfunfionn

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Anyone seeing the new screensavers yet?

I am - I have a nice view of the earth kicking in when I listen to music.

So far, this build seems entirely stable for me. I've not encountered a single problem. My Xbox One controller now reconnects itself when I press the home button, no app crashes, and things seem speedy.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
I am - I have a nice view of the earth kicking in when I listen to music.

So far, this build seems entirely stable for me. I've not encountered a single problem. My Xbox One controller now reconnects itself when I press the home button, no app crashes, and things seem speedy.
The new ones are the under the sea ones.

Reactions: pizzzle

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Any idea why they change the COLOR of the Apple TV ICON - I like the new Turquoise Color and now it is simply black and white?????
[automerge]1568906483[/automerge]
I’m confused how the profiles will work. Do\can they each use a different iTunes account?
Yes. Which for me is not dumb. I would prefer it used my iCloud Account. We share the iTunes Account for purchases and use iCloud for our unique stuff.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
So no clear date for the release? Synchronized with the release of the new macOS, I hope, right?

There's been talk of a new aTV, so perhaps an Oct event with new aTV's alongside the OS update with macOS released with new Macbooks?

Reactions: Konigi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.