Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today the golden master version of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to developers, one week after seeding the eleventh beta and more than three months after unveiling the tvOS 13 software at the Worldwide Developers Conference. The golden master represents the final version of tvOS 13 that's going to be released to the public.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 13 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier to discover new content. Apps are now able to play full-screen video previews on the Home screen, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is available for the first time, letting more than one profile exist on the Apple TV so each family member can have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists.

Switching between profiles can be done with the new Control Center, which offers up profiles, the time and date, search, a Now Playing widget, AirPlay controls, and a sleep option.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

As part of the Apple Arcade preparations, Apple has implemented support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

There are new under the sea themed screensavers created in partnership with the BBC Natural History Unit, which also created "Blue Planet." There's also a new Picture-in-Picture feature. Picture-in-Picture lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system.

tvos13pictureinpicture-800x428.jpg

Apple hasn't shared details on when tvOS 13 will be coming out, but with a GM available, it's likely going to be released on Tuesday, September 24 alongside iOS 13.1 and iPadOS.

Article Link: Apple Seeds tvOS 13 Golden Master to Developers

Z3roFlaw

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
Are you able to pick this up now if you turn on beta updates on the box? Or is this there an actual difference between dev and public?
[automerge]1569001468[/automerge]
Will this show up if I clicked 'enabled betas' on the Apple TV?
Same question haha

Cold_Beaver

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2019
Weird. I have OS13 already oh my tv and I didn’t download it. I have it set to auto download but it says TVOS 13.0. Arcade does not work still

Z3roFlaw

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
if you have build 17j5584a
I get that. What I’m asking is if there is a difference between dec/public beta releases on tvOS like there is for iOS. Cause if there isn’t, and anyone that opts into the bets via their Apple TV box just gets essentially the same, dev beta, then in theory if you wanted to you could enable it now and get the GM release

Z3roFlaw

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
Just checked and can confirm on an Apple TV HD that if you enable beta updates and check for updates what you’re getting is the GM of tvOS 13.0 17j5584a

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
I get that. What I’m asking is if there is a difference between dec/public beta releases on tvOS like there is for iOS. Cause if there isn’t, and anyone that opts into the bets via their Apple TV box just gets essentially the same, dev beta, then in theory if you wanted to you could enable it now and get the GM release
enable it check for updates in will then state that there is a update available tvOS 13 with a build number. if it is build 17j5584a if its something else then its not. you can decline and remove option for beta builds. I only have dev updates so I can't help you with public betas.
Remember do not put a beta on an everyday device it still can have bugs!!!

Reactions: Z3roFlaw

TapDatApp

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Anyone know how to get off the beta? I'm trying to upgrade to the official release of tvOS 13 and then be done with the betas. Apple says to select no on "Get Beta Updates", but that option has disappeared on both of my Apple TVs since updating to the very first iOS 13 beta. Is anyone on the beta right now and seeing the "Get Beta Updates" option? It's like it's totally missing.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Installing the GM of TVos 13 does not get you arcade (it's there but just loops a trailer/intro). I found the best way to get the GM is use Xcode and Apple Configurator on a computer running MacOS. Download the TVos 13 configuration profile and it's pretty easy from there.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Xbox/PS Controller support is great. Maybe i'll finally test some games.
That is a pretty awesome feature.

I’m still hoping they send a new AppleTV with an A13 chip our soon though. And maybe even upgraded storage options. I’d love for the AppleTV + Apple mobile devices to become a real gaming contender. they’re not going to compete graphics with PS/Xbox, But think they could be competing with the switch both on the big screen and mobile gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.