Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the release candidate version of an upcoming watchOS 10.1 update to developers and public beta testers for testing purposes, with the beta coming a week after the release of the third watchOS 10.1 beta.

Apple-Watch-Faces-watchOS-10-Feature-Blue.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 10‌.1 update, developers will need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the ‌watchOS 10‌.1 Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required. Public beta testers will need to follow the same steps after opting in to the beta through Apple's public beta testing website.

Once beta updates have been activated, ‌watchOS 10.1‌ can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

watchOS 10.1 adds NameDrop support for sharing contact information with another Apple Watch or an iPhone, plus it includes Double Tap.

NameDrop can be used by tapping into the Apple Watch Contacts app, selecting your profile, and tapping on the "Share" option. From there, touching the Apple Watch to another Apple Watch running watchOS 10.1 or an iPhone running iOS 17 will initiate a contact transfer.

Double Tap is a gesture exclusive to the Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra, and it allows users to tap their thumb and index fingers together to do things like bring up the Smart Stack, start a call, pause a song, and more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds watchOS 10.1 Release Candidate to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Last edited:

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
Resurrect my AW6's battery life please!
I had a S6 and just made a trade in for an Ultra 2. Got 130 USD for the trade-in.
S6 was a great series - and I miss it but if you can afford - I would recommend it because next year it’s not gonna be worth too much.

Again, it;s all about your financials - I know it’s expensive… :( but if you can - it’s an insane upgrade

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hopefully will fix some of the issues being discussed in the AW forum.
And I’m looking forward to the double tap feature

Reactions: addamas

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I just installed watchos10 last night. Really disappointed in some of the app changes and color schemes.
Color schemes in control center on iPhone are terrible. For folks not color sensitive it makes the blue buttons hard to distinguish. Too dark.

Reactions: pdaholic

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I just installed watchos10 last night. Really disappointed in some of the app changes and color schemes.

Interesting. Of all the things I don't like, I think the redesigns are mostly good. Which app redesign did you not like?

I don't like the game of musical chairs they played between control center, app view, and dock.

I also wish they had a corner digital time complication, while we're at it.

jeffjank33

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2016
Anyone with the original Ultra, is it dimmer on 17? I sold my Ultra the day before my Ultra 2 arrived. I was running RC 17 on my Ultra and had no issues with the dimmest like I do with Ultra 2. Really disappointing that it sounds like Apple doesn't think its an issue. The screen brightness on the lowest setting on Ultra was perfect, not sure whats driving the reduction on Ultra 2/9.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Interesting. Of all the things I don't like, I think the redesigns are mostly good. Which app redesign did you not like?

I don't like the game of musical chairs they played between control center, app view, and dock.

I also wish they had a corner digital time complication, while we're at it.
A couple of things that come to mind immediately--the scrolling list view of the calendar and its fonts having a similar color to the background on the entry; calendar entries in the widgets have bright white backgrounds, while the rest of the OS looks to be in "dark mode"; tapping the calendar complication takes me now to a detailed list of information about the entry that I don't need...I could keep going. There also seems to be a bug with third party calendar apps not showing entries, but I'm hoping that will be fixed.

Wiesławo

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2022
Resurrect my AW6's battery life please!
I don't know if we can look forward to it. I didn't wait and bought Series 9 just because the battery in my Series 7 lost 90% during a 20-minute workout and the watch turned off. The battery is great again, I can rely on the watch again, but it was such an unnecessary change... There is nothing about the Series 9 that makes me feel any difference worth noting. And no, gesture control is not super useful. I was hoping that it would be possible to stop the training and return from the stack to the watch face... but no, still have to use other hand to push the crown…

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Really miffed by double tap. Been using it for years on aw6, you enable it in accessibility so why can I use that in watchOS 10 but not the “new” double tap.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
My watch app got stuck in "Installing Update" after install was done and wouldn't come out of that. Had to un-pair and re-pair with install from backup to get rid of the stuck installing screen.

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Really hoping this fixes the issue with the weather complications not working since watchOS 10. Not holding my breath though.

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

IHatemywatch

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
No it has not been fixed and now Apple is deleting posts on their forum trying to
Hide the issue.

Support told me it’s a known issue and to keep my watch, soon as it passed the return period they changed their story and said this is how it is and they are not fixing it.

I am stuck with a watch I cannot see in the dark.

You can see Apple mods editing and deleting posts here

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
No it has not been fixed and now Apple is deleting posts on their forum trying to
Hide the issue.

Support told me it’s a known issue and to keep my watch, soon as it passed the return period they changed their story and said this is how it is and they are not fixing it.

I am stuck with a watch I cannot see in the dark.

You can see Apple mods editing and deleting posts here

If the attached is removed then they’ll definitely remove my comments!

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    800.6 KB · Views: 81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.