Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds watchOS 4 Golden Master to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the golden master (GM version) of watchOS 4 to developers following a beta testing period that saw the company release a total of eight betas. The golden master version of watchOS 4 represents the version of the software that will be released to the public on Tuesday, September 19.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS 4 golden master can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 4 brings three new watch faces, including a dedicated Siri watch face that displays dynamic information unique to each individual user. There are new complications for Now Playing and Apple News, and an enhanced Workout app that supports High Intensity Interval Training and new swimming options.

GymKit, new in watchOS 4, lets the Apple Watch interface with gym equipment for workout data sharing purposes, and the Activity app has been updated to provide intelligent coaching, monthly activity challenges, and tailored workout encouragement.

Starting a workout is faster than ever with a new Quickstart interface, there's a new look for Apple Music, and with under-the-hood improvements, third-party apps are faster than ever and can do more.

Apple plans to release watchOS 4 to the public on Tuesday, September 19, three days ahead of when the new Apple Watch Series 3 will be available to consumers.

For more on what's new in watchOS 4, make sure to check out our watchOS 4 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds watchOS 4 Golden Master to Developers

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
So is the new chronograph looking Watch face that was only shown on series 3 exclusive for series 3 only?

Comment

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
So is the new chronograph looking Watch face that was only shown on series 3 exclusive for series 3 only?
Looks really nice and such a shame it's LTE exclusive ...

The heatrate sensor alerts can be a massive game changer

Comment

jaxsoccer24

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Just installed the GM. I'm not seeing the new HR monitor functionality nor am I seeing the red arms on the faces (assuming this is for LTE only).

Has anyone on WatchOS 4 been able to get the watch to sync to fitness equipment yet?

Reactions: xDKP
Comment

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Just showed up for me
still nothing for me :(
[doublepost=1505253569][/doublepost]Did you guys keep the iOS beta profile while trying to find the watchOS 4 GM? Cos I've deleted the iOS beta profile, so that might cause watchOS not showing up?

Comment

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I installed the GM for watchOS4, and I noticed that when I click the “Software update” tab, it still shows “installing” even though my watch already rebooted and shows 4.0. I tried rebooting both watch and phone but still shows it. I even deleted the beta profile. Any ideas?

Edit: nvm it corrected itself

Last edited:
Comment

shooter03

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Pakenham, Victoria,Australia

I had it pop up early this morning in Australia. So far so good.

Comment

index1489

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Found out the iPhone and Apple watch have different beta profiles thats why it wasn't showing up.

Comment

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Great with the new pulse app but not showing the current pulse on my watch face on my S2

Comment

spinningfree

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Found out the iPhone and Apple watch have different beta profiles thats why it wasn't showing up.

Do you need both installed? iOS 11 worked fine but can’t find watchOS 4. Tried installing both profiles multiple times with no luck.

EDIT: NM, working now :)

Last edited:
Comment

Mentat2K

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
I asked a friend (mac developer) to add my watch to the development devices and I've installed Watch OS4 GM on my second gen Apple Watch.

BIG mistake, as battery drain is awful! I usually had 50-60% left when I go to sleep, but now I have 27% and I go to sleep in two hours from now!

There is no way to go back to Watch OS3!

Also, there is no option to "Detect Gym Equipment" in the GM.
Now it's hidden, but it appears if you use search on the settings.

In old betas, disabling "Detect Gym Equipment" option fixed the battery drain problem.

GM (build 15R372) seems very not release ready!

Comment

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I asked a friend (mac developer) to add my watch to the development devices and I've installed Watch OS4 GM on my second gen Apple Watch.

BIG mistake, as battery drain is awful! I usually had 50-60% left when I go to sleep, but now I have 27% and I go to sleep in two hours from now!

There is no way to go back to Watch OS3!

Also, there is no option to "Detect Gym Equipment" in the GM.
Now it's hidden, but it appears if you use search on the settings.

In old betas, disabling "Detect Gym Equipment" option fixed the battery drain problem.

GM (build 15R372) seems very not release ready!

I’ve been through a lot of the betas and it’s close to perfect but certainly not without errors yet.

Every time my mom writes me a text it shows me a text from last Sunday and below the new one - even though she didn’t write it constantly since Sunday :)

Battery is better but still not WatchOS 3 level yet

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.