Apple Seeds watchOS 6 Golden Master to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the golden master version of watchOS 6, the software that runs on the Apple Watch. The new update comes two weeks after the ninth beta and over three months after Apple first unveiled the new watchOS update at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

To install the watchOS 6 beta, you'll need the proper configuration profile, which can be obtained through the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the beta can be downloaded using the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update. The golden master version of watchOS 6 represents the final version of the software that will be released to the public.

[​IMG]

Installing the software requires the Apple Watch to have 50 percent battery. It also needs to be put on a charger and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 6 is a major update that offers up a long list of new features. First and foremost, there's an App Store right on the Apple Watch, so you can find and download new Apple Watch apps on your wrist.

Apple Watch apps no longer need to have an iPhone component, which means developers can create standalone Apple Watch apps for the first time. Apps are able to take advantage of new APIs so you'll be able to do things like follow along with a workout or listen to streaming music from third-party services.

[​IMG]

Since Apple Watch apps are now independent of apps on the iPhone, you can now remove some built-in apps from the Apple Watch, a feature that was enabled in beta 3.

There are several new watch faces in watchOS 6, including Numerals Mono and Duo with huge numbers, Modular Compact, a Gradient watch face that shifts over the course of a day, a Solar Dial watch face that visualizes the sun in a 24 hour path around the dial, and the California watch face with a mix of standard numbers and roman numerals.

[​IMG]

A new Taptic Chimes feature provides a silent touch on the wrist at every hour, and if sound is turned on, you'll hear an audible chime. You can also hold two fingers on the Apple Watch's display to hear the time spoken out loud.

There are new Audiobooks, Voice Memos, and Calculator apps, along with a new Noise app that warns you if you're exposed to sound that's too loud and a new Cycle Tracking app for period tracking. Activity Trends, visible on the iPhone, are also available to chart your fitness progress and make sure your fitness trends are improving.

[​IMG]

New complications are available for wind speed, chance of rain, and the new Noise app, plus there's a Voice Memos complication for recording a memo quickly, a cellular strength complication, and a complication for the Calculator that opens up the app.

Siri can now provide full web search results right on the watch when asked a question, and for Mac users, the Apple Watch can now approve Mac security prompts.

When it launches on September 19, watchOS 6 will be available on the Series 3 and Series 4 Apple Watch models. It will come out for Series 1 and Series 2 models later this year. For more on what's new in watchOS 6, make sure to check out our watchOS 6 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds watchOS 6 Golden Master to Developers

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

I'm running iOS 13 GM, do you still need a dev profile to install watchOS 6?

3. frumpywumpy macrumors newbie

This is my question too.

4. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

You may need it for the GM.

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

This requires iOS 13. Considering the sorry state iOS 13 GM is in (mail issues), no thanks. I'll wait until 13.1 is released to the public to install both.

6. joselc23 macrumors member

I have the watchOS beta profile installed. I checked for an update and gold master appeared.

7. ericg301 macrumors 65816

what are the chances the GM bricks my watch? not a dev but im running 13.1 on my ios stuff.

8. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

The same level of risk if you waited a week for the public release of the GM. The GM will be the exact same file that’s released to the public.

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What model do you have? I have a series 4 not had any major issues that affecting anything on any later beta. Installing now but it will take a day to see what’s going on. Highly doubt there will be any issues now...but it’s your choice.

10. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

Article should be updated to reflect that the GM is only for series 3 and 4.

I checked my series 2, which has a dev profile and beta 9 or whatever installed and it claims it’s up to date.

I think series 2 and older will truly have to wait till the end of the month for wOS 6 GM.

11. ericg301 macrumors 65816

S3

12. billchase2, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019

billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

The download is super slow. I keeps going between 2 hours and like 8 hours... Hoping it speeds up and evens out.

Edit: It ended up only taking about half an hour to download.

13. adam-stark macrumors newbie

anyone have the build number for the gm ?

thanks

14. frumpywumpy macrumors newbie

Like @billchase2 said, mine's currently showing 7hrs remaining and is up to the "I" in "Apple Inc", like 11% done

15. boxermansr macrumors 6502a

boxermansr

17R575

Took 40 minutes to download (Series 4) at 1.3 GB from Beta 9. Once it got to "installing" took literally 2 minutes to finish. Already booted back up.

16. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Has anyone installed on the latest Beta before 13.1? Any success? Thanks

I will update later when I am home.

17. Mactendo macrumors 68000

How’s the battery life on series 4? People wrote it was shorter than on watchOS 5.

18. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

19. boxermansr macrumors 6502a

boxermansr

Correct, but profile gets you the GM, either they haven't updated it to reflect it, or they won't update it.

20. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

I see it now, thanks.

21. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

Dwood1970

Yes because there is no way to get the watch update without the developer profile until it’s put on public release.

22. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

The battery life on the most recent beta 9 has been great on my Series 4. I don't have solid benchmarks, but it definitely seems more efficient during GPS workouts.

23. pweicks macrumors regular

pweicks

Later release date for S2??? When did they say that? Anyone know more specifically when that will be?

24. Kimjongjohan macrumors newbie

Kimjongjohan

No specific information communicated yet.

25. Squuiid macrumors 65816

Squuiid

Same here. No dice on S2.