Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the release candidate version of an upcoming watchOS 7.1 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the fourth beta and more than a month after releasing the watchOS 7 update.

applewatchse.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 7‌.1 beta, developers need to download the proper configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the ‌‌‌watchOS 7‌‌‌ beta can be downloaded through the dedicated ‌Apple Watch‌ app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

To update to the new software, the ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the ‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌.

The watchOS 7.1 update introduces new hearing health protections, with the watch able to send a notification when music is too loud and could damage hearing. It also brings the ECG app to South Korea and Russia. Apple's full release notes are below:
watchOS 7.1 contains new features, improvements, and bug fixes.
- Adds the ability to be notified when your headphone audio level could impact your hearing
- Adds support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in the Republic of Korea and Russia
- Adds support for irregular heart rhythm notifications in the Republic of Korea and Russia
- Resolves an issue that prevented some users from unlocking a Mac with Apple Watch
- Fixes an issue where the screen may be dark on wrist raise for some Apple Watch Series 6 owners.
watchOS 7.1, like watchOS 7, is compatible with the Apple Watch Series 3 and later.

Article Link: Apple Seeds watchOS 7.1 Release Candidate to Developers

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
So far, I am finding this really a smooth release! Performance on all my watch faces seems excellent. Thank you so much Apple!

Gorms, sorry I don't have that issue, so I can't speak to whether it is fixed or not!

realtwang

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Anyone know if the beta finally addresses the unread Messages issue? My watch always shows how many total messages I have instead of number of unread messages. Total number of messages for anyone who saves messages to refer back to is useless information. I have submitted feedback to Apple 4 times over the last year about it.

Attachments

• 692EED77-BA5F-4F38-AF12-CCEF6A75C08A.jpeg
    692EED77-BA5F-4F38-AF12-CCEF6A75C08A.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 183

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
- Fixes an issue where the screen may be dark on wrist raise for some Apple Watch Series 6 owners.

I just started experiencing this on my Series 5. It happened only a couple of times starting just a couple days ago.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
For me this has already been fixed after the latest update.
I'm running WatchOS 7.0.3 on a Series 3 with an iPhone 8Plus on iOS 14.1
Ahhhh, then I am in trouble as I am on both of those, series 3 but an X and still got the issue.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Hopefully it isn't a steaming pile of donkey bleep and can actually install on the watch.

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Ahhhh, then I am in trouble as I am on both of those, series 3 but an X and still got the issue.
Sorry to hear that. I did nothing special with my Apple Watch or iPhone to fix the issue, other than just downloading and installing the updates. Hope your watch and phone will be fixed after updating to 7.1 :)

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Unfortunately no mention of the new intercom feature. It looks like the Apple Watch will need to wait for 7.2 to be implemented. Hoped it might have been released with iOS 14.2 so it works across all devices.

plandersen

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2020
Only seeing watchOS 7.1 Public Beta 4, so apparently the RC is not available for Public Beta testers yet.

BTW. Does an update to watchOS 7.1 require iOS 14.2?

Axiboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2019
Only seeing watchOS 7.1 Public Beta 4, so apparently the RC is not available for Public Beta testers yet.

BTW. Does an update to watchOS 7.1 require iOS 14.2?
RC is out now for Public beta. I'm not sure if you need 14.2 or not - I installed it on Saturday.

Reactions: hungryteresa

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
FINALLY can unlock my MacBook Pro with my Watch again. This has been bugging me for weeks, and none of the previous workarounds posted anywhere online were working for me.
Are you running Big Sur on your Mac? I didn’t have this problem until the last Big Sur beta. This Watch update didn’t fix it. Probably have to wait for next Big Sur beta release.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

Ladyc0524

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Are you running Big Sur on your Mac? I didn’t have this problem until the last Big Sur beta. This Watch update didn’t fix it. Probably have to wait for next Big Sur beta release.

I’m having this issue. I should have stayed on beta beta 10 of Big Sur instead of updating to 11.0.1. Oh well, I’ll wait for the next update.

Reactions: Braderunner

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
Does anyone know if this will finally resolve the work out/map issue? I really hope it does
As it seems this problem is not related to watchOS 7 (...also seems to happen to watchOS 6.2.8 users), but rather to iOS 14. You may have a look at the iOS 14.2 RC release notes, here it is stated that it will be fixed by iOS 14.2.

Hope this holds true - if yes, iOS 14.2 will be the first 14.x version which makes me seriously think about upgrading.
Looks like iOS and its derivates are nearing a more stable phase then...if everything works as announced and no new bummers are introduced, this years OS generation will from my perspective be more stable and reliable than last years at the same time of the year (still had frequent OS crashes / reboots and other rather annoying bugs on my brand new 11 Pro even until the first months of 2020).

Foxgod

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
Any indication as to how long it usually takes them to go from RC to full release?
Still haven't been able to transfer my watch backup, since they updated the series 3 to 7.0.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.