Apple Sees All-Time Record Response to New iPhone Trade-In Initiatives

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During today's earnings call for the second fiscal quarter of 2019 (first calendar quarter), Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple's iPhone trade-in efforts have been highly successful.

According to Cook, Apple saw an all-time record response to the company's trade-in promotions, and Apple saw more than four times the number of trade-ins from the year-ago quarter.

[​IMG]

When asked which devices people are trading in, Cook said that it's "all over the place." iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, and fewer 8 and 8 Plus models. Some customers, he says, are on a two-year upgrade cycle, some on a one-year upgrade cycle, and some on three or four year cycles.

Cook said that Apple is aiming to offer better than average trade-in values to provide "extra benefits" to iPhone users.
    Apple in November began offering a limited-time promotion that provided up to $100 in additional credit when trading in an iPhone. The program allowed customers to buy a new iPhone XR, XS, or XS Max at a more heavily discounted price when trading in an older device.

Apple is no longer running that specific program, but the trade-in page continues to promote new iPhone pricing that's available when trading in an old iPhone and Apple's prices are better than most other trade-in programs for the iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Sees All-Time Record Response to New iPhone Trade-In Initiatives

2. nocturnum macrumors regular

nocturnum

Are you guys a trumpet of Apple or independent news source?

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I traded my 8 Plus in four weeks ago for an XR and Apple gave me $370 for it.

4. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Sad times when high trade in values is the only way to get people interested anymore

5. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

Their offer for my 6 Plus only matched a local store after they did this promotion.

That probably tipped the scales and I bought my XS Max. The process was easy and I knew what I was getting with no hassle. On the other hand, I sent an iPad to another company and had weeks of aggravation before they even agreed to keep it and then I got less than the original quotation.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why is that sad? Wouldn’t you think this would be a ‘creative strategy’? Apple is trying to entice consumers retaining their older devices to want to trade them in for the newest devices, because the latest iPhone places are not reflective of what the consumer wants to spend right now. I would expect Apple to continue to expand on the trade-in program come this fall according to Cook from the past interview.

7. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Well it worked on me. I traded my iPhone 7 Plus and got $300 off an XS

8. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

You got $370 for a phone that was worth $500-600.

9. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I had no reason to upgrade, but they allowed me to trade in my X and 6S together for $700.

I didn’t expect much coming from the X but I’m pleasantly surprised how much photo, video and audio recording quality has improved in just one year.

10. fourthtunz macrumors 65816

fourthtunz

I just sold mine in March, and got $475 on eBay but you deal with all the hassle and you net $400 so $370 isn't horrible.

11. MrGuder macrumors 68030

It doesn’t help much when the iPhone XS is already priced too high. I have a perfectly working 6s just had a new battery last yr for $29.00

Apple will give me $200.00 toward a XS...in order to fit all my music I’d have to get the 256GB and with the trade in the XS will still cost me $949.00 Yikes!!

No way I’m letting my 6s go and still pay $1000.00 for me that’s an unwise decision.

12. mlody macrumors 6502a

$200 for 6S which is almost 4 years old and was only $650 when new is a great trade-in value in my opinion. much higher and better option that trying to sell it on Craigslist, Swappa or God forbid ebay.

13. pweicks macrumors regular

pweicks

Yep makes perfect sense considering they’ve been shoving it down people’s throats about 100x harder than usual to try to bolster their terrible iPhone sales as of lately.

14. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

RE: "Apple in November began offering a limited-time promotion that provided up to $100 in additional credit when trading in an iPhone."

I learned a new word from an earlier season of Game of Thrones, "perpetuity".

To the MR Staff, please change "limited-time" to "perpetuity".

15. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Got an unlocked iPhone 6 for less than $30. Use it all the time. No need to get an XR.

16. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Trade in to get your discount on the iPhone XR for a limited time only

17. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

You have come to a website whose entire goal is to report news and rumors about Apple. Apple said something during their quarterly earnings call. What is your problem with this? That they didn't put some sort of editorial spin on it?

18. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I think it all depends. Someone with an older device may not net much selling it online. Someone with a relatively new device would get way under their resale value by trading their phone in. So each situation is different.

19. Ihatefall macrumors regular

You could upgrade to the XR and pay way less. This is coming from someone with an XS Max 256GB, but the XR is pretty good device.

20. jbpiv3 macrumors newbie

Everyone is blaming increased competition and lackluster device options.

To me, I was getting a new device every year or two with the old ATT 2 year plans that allowed it ($199/$299/$399 up front, and then the cost of the line for two years). Since the carriers switched to these new plans, I’m sure I’m not the only one who has absolutely no incentive to upgrade. I’d rather ride out a device 3-5 years before forking over $1100 for a new one.

21. JTBing macrumors regular

In your not-so-humble-opinion, is it possible for Apple to do anything right?

22. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Those prices are literally still available Lol it wasn’t a limited time. It’s ongoing to boost sales.

23. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I agree with you. I used to be able to pay the same for my plan. And not have to “finance” a phone in addition to that. Now i pay the same price, plus the additional cost of financing a phone every month. I have decided it isn’t worth it. Especially since phones don’t change much from year to year. So there is no incentive for me to keep trading my phone in. And continually finance them.

24. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

LMAO ... WHY? their essentially about the same phone ... screen and FaceID and slight battery difference that's about it. You're not really going to notice the A12 vs A11 in about overalls devie performance or apps when in iOS 12.

Sad times when users feel that trading in their phones to Apple for a measly $200 value when it can run ALL their services and function VERY well as a smartphone form the iPhone 7 to newer is the REALLY sad times!!

#clueless

#clueless ... see I was thinking the SAME thing!

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Band 14.