Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
You're confusing system development with live deployment. Apple's testing their cars as Level 4/5 autonomous vehicles, so they have to report disengagements as such.

You're missing the point entirely. The article discusses that Apple doubled the mileage. I'm arguing that Tesla has collected far more mileage of useful data than what Apple has collected.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Your overthinking ruined an obvious joke about bad drivers due to not paying attention. It had nothing to do with actual auto piloted cars. Next time I will save the jokes for someone else who doesn't overthink so much.

If it has nothing to do with autopiloted cars, then the joke "and so do most drivers" in response to billions of miles of autopilot doesn't work because it has nothing to do with billions of autopiloted miles.

It's not overthinking, the joke doesn't connect.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
As secretive as Apple is, why should we assume that the reported numbers are accurate? Why would they tip their hat and broadcast their intentions for a product that may become their biggest product since the iPhone?

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Tesla's system requires driver interaction via the steering wheel every 30s to a minute and half or so, depending on conditions. If a Tesla driver using Autopilot doesn't keep torquing the steering wheel or use the scroll buttons on the wheel, Autopilot will disengage.

Apple's system only requires the "driver" to interact with the car when it disengages, or the driver sees the need to avoid danger to the car or outside environment.
the 30-second rule is there as a safety so people don't abuse it since they are public customers not privately hired employees. You seem to think the Apple testing car can ACTUALLY drive itself when its the purpose to learn to drive itself. Tesla's data is unrivalled, its in every single customer car, and in cars all over the world not just one little city with pre-planned routes.

Yokon54

Suspended
Feb 5, 2021
Can’t believe how many miles some of these companies have racked up with very very few disengagement’s

Pony.ai, Waymo (Google) and Cruise LLT (GM) over 1.5m miles and less than 75 disengagement’s.

I am VERY excited about the possibility of an Apple car and would buy a Tesla in a heartbeat but the competitors numbers are unreal, unless I’m missing somthing
The numbers are meaningless without context. Apple could be testing disengagement scenarios, as one example.

Reactions: KeithBN

MidwestMacGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
Can't wait to own a car with a few hundred pounds of cameras on the roof that stick out like a sore thumb. Sexy!

barthrh

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
Currently nothing is even close to Tesla
Maybe in a sense, as Waymo and Cruise are way way ahead of Tesla. I'm a Tesla fan and have one on order, but I've watched as many FSD videos as anyone and they disengage *a lot*. Arguably way more than once per 144 miles. That's not to say that it isn't super impressive and won't eventually be great, but it's realistically not anywhere close to the leaders. Their lead is that they have the best cost-effective self driving tech.

erthquake

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Maybe in a sense, as Waymo and Cruise are way way ahead of Tesla. I'm a Tesla fan and have one on order, but I've watched as many FSD videos as anyone and they disengage *a lot*. Arguably way more than once per 144 miles. That's not to say that it isn't super impressive and won't eventually be great, but it's realistically not anywhere close to the leaders. Their lead is that they have the best cost-effective self driving tech.
I put Tesla in the lead because their tech is low cost, in volume production, and gives them access to huge amounts of training data. Waymo and all the other Lidar-reliant platforms reached a local maxima that will be super hard to leap out of. Cruise only works on select highways that have been hyper-mapped. Tesla and MobilEye are the only platforms using a single unified 360-degree image for sensing the environment.

Tesla still has a ways to go. Path planning is still hardcoded. Once they offload path planning to neural networks, the performance will probably regress a bit as the NNs learn to drive more like humans do. But will quickly improve. And once Tesla's Dojo supercomputer comes online late this year, it's probably game over. I suspect by late 2022 Tesla will be the clear leader in autonomy.

Reactions: Freida

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
You're missing the point entirely. The article discusses that Apple doubled the mileage. I'm arguing that Tesla has collected far more mileage of useful data than what Apple has collected.
Apple also has millions of miles in virtual simulators where their software is learning.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
Can’t believe how many miles some of these companies have racked up with very very few disengagement’s

Pony.ai, Waymo (Google) and Cruise LLT (GM) over 1.5m miles and less than 75 disengagement’s.

I am VERY excited about the possibility of an Apple car and would buy a Tesla in a heartbeat but the competitors numbers are unreal, unless I’m missing somthing
There's no set criteria for what counts as a disengagement. For example Waymo (or Cruise, I don't remember, probably both) only counts a disengagement if
  1. The car gives control back to the driver or the driver takes control over the vehicle
  2. AND the car software calculated that not having given back the control back to the driver would have resulted in an accident where the car would be at fault
Comparing amount disengagements per amount of miles between companies is not really possible because all companies have their own criteria for what counts as a disengagement. Companies like Cruise/Waymo want to have the amount of reported disengagements to be as low as possible because they're (or atleast Cruise) always looking for funding/have to appear excellent to others and people who are taking drives with them.
Meanwhile companies like Apple that are fully self-funded probably don't want to give away how good their self-driving software is due to it's secrecy. Therefore a company like Apple could be counting literally everything the driver does as a disengagement. And then there's companies like Tesla who are not reporting fully autonomous miles at all because if they would they would never get on par with the low disengagements numbers that Waymo/Cruise are reporting and which would make it seem like they are behind a lot (which they are, current Tesla hardware will never get to L4/L5).

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
18k miles a year is a joke. That's 50 miles a day of testing. Obviously Apple are not serious about this.

If Apple was serious about true self-driving vehicles and considering the 200 billion dollars it has it its pocket, it can build a small city with roads, traffic signs and everything just for testing purposes.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Apple also has millions of miles in virtual simulators where their software is learning.
And who hasn't? Virtual simulators are garbage. If these were any useful, we would be getting driver licenses with simulators instead of sitting and driving a real car on a real road.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
As secretive as Apple is, why should we assume that the reported numbers are accurate? Why would they tip their hat and broadcast their intentions for a product that may become their biggest product since the iPhone?
Because if you cheat, you can get banned from the program and if you get banned, you can no longer test your system on public roads. Apart from that, Apple will be putting at stake its reputation and brand image. There is nothing worst than newspaper headline reading "Apple is cheating". In addition, there is high risk of whistleblower revealing what you are doing to the authorities, so you will end up being cought sooner or later and anyone related would be putting his good-paid job in the Silicon Valley at stake for something that isn't worth it really. Bottom line, there is no chance of Apple doing this.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.