Apple selling refurb as new?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zsciaeount, Aug 18, 2010.

1. zsciaeount macrumors newbie

I just took delivery on a "brand-new" 27" quad-core iMac that I ordered direct from Apple just days after the refresh.

In poking around my hardware profile, my wireless keyboard was named "mitch's keyboard #2." Only problem is that I am not Mitch, and I do not know anyone named Mitch. Now how can that be??

Bottom line: Apple packaged in a refurb keyboard with my new computer and sold the entire thing as new!

Anyone else heard of this happening? I just find it hard to believe that a refurb keyboard would just accidentally find its way to the new pile...

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I fear that this may be common practice, and the person who configured and boxed my system simply got careless and forgot to rename the keyboard before shipping.

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Have you called Apple to see what they have to say about it?

Mistakes do happen and I am sure they will want to help resolve this one for you.

3. VictoriaStudent macrumors regular

VictoriaStudent

your "fear" has no true data set to draw from. Certainly not enough to venture forth the idea "this may be common practice."

I would call Apple & discuss it with them :)

4. nastebu macrumors 6502

Victoriastudent is right. You're jumping to conclusions. There are plenty of other possible explanations. For example, photos have shown up on the camera roll of new iPhones, that doesn't mean they were previously used.

It doesn't even make sense that they would mix used keyboards in with new computers. I assume the new iMacs are packaged where they are produced. Would it really save Apple any money to be shipping used keyboards back to China to be packaged with new systems? I doubt it. And this kind of practice couldn't be concealed for long.

Call Apple if anything seems wrong with the keyboard. If it seems fine, ask yourself if you really have a problem?

5. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

I don't doubt it.

Others have noticed scuffs and other external blemishes on their NEW iMacs. Sometimes there is debris inside the screen, too. It's highly possilbe that they resue parts. This new iMac is problably the most returned iMac in its histyory, due to the pervasive yellow tint. Most likley, they are swamping out screens and sending out the units as new again. Technically it is new as it was hardly used.

OP, is this a replacement or the first time you ordered?

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't think it's fair to Apple to accuse them of something for which you have zero proof. It is illegal to knowingly sell used items (including new items w/ a few used or recaptured parts) as new A Stock. I doubt Apple is risking $ on reputation by adopting such tactics as policy. All it takes is one or two disgruntled employees to either blackmail Apple or blow the whistle. Apple and especially Jobs are not that dumb.

It's quite likely that the item was returned -- looked new, and so was put back into "new" stock. Remember Apple charges a 10% restock fee so a shady customer might be clever enough to make the box look unopened and then lie about not opening it.

My suggestion would be to call Apple, explain the situation and see what they'll do -- give you a completely fresh unit or discount or something. They should have the sales history for that serial#. They know if it was in another person's hands.

7. Btom macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't charge restocking fees.

Tom B.

8. zsciaeount thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the replies. There is no question that the keyboard had a previous owner... even the reps at Apple agree with me on that one.

As for how it got there, as I said, I am hoping it is a mistake. According to Apple, the refurb area of the distribution center is separate from the area for new computers (mine was shipped from CA, not China, FYI), so it would seem unlikely that this was an accident, since the two streams should not cross.

Was this a return that was turned around and sold new? That may not qualify as refurb by their policies, but I didn't spend $2500 for an open-box item.

Whether or not the equipment is functional or not is not the issue. If I wanted something that just works, then I would have been happy buying a refurb. I wanted something that was new, and by new, I mean NEW. With the premium Apple charges, isn't that a reasonable expectation?

As an addendum, yes, they are willing to replace the keyboard, but when pressed about it being a new keyboard, the supervisor balked, and then tried to tell me that it would be in pristine condition.

It's almost like he was tacitly acknowledging that their "new" OEM stock is not necessarily so. I required them to send me a new, factory-sealed retail version, just to be sure.

9. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

False, Apple always charges restocking fee on open items that are returned. Theres always a line on the receipt that states "$xxx.xx fee if opened" its also always located under a date which is the latest return date.

Next time try actually looking at a receipt before posting.

10. Sam2 macrumors newbie

I think it's possible

I just got a brand new iMac 27 from Apple Store last Sunday. You know what? After I got home and open this "Brand new" iMac. I found a human finger print INSIDE the screen :mad:

I went to the store last night and exchange it for another one, but now I am not sure I want to open the box anymore....:apple:

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes they do...

12. djellison macrumors 68020

He bought a new product. He was given a used one.

That's proof.

That people are leaping to the defense of Apple on this is appalling.

13. sixfingeredman macrumors newbie

Wow! A HUMAN finger print?! Ugh! :eek: I can't believe it! Usually the Chinese baboons are very careful to keep humans out of the process!

Dude. Open the box and enjoy your new computer. It will be awesome.

14. djellison macrumors 68020

When paying a premium price - one should expect perfection. If you don't get it - you should demand a replacement.

It's that simple.

15. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Ignore The OP,

He's suffering from manic OCD! So the keyboard was used???
    What about the computer itself, genius?

It's amazing how stubborn Americans can be about their products, the self entitlement is staggering! "It has to be MY way" boohoo :p

16. djellison macrumors 68020

No - he's simply asking for it to be the way it was advertised. He's asking to be given what he paid for

A NEW COMPUTER.

He got used goods.

'Here are the keys to your new car Mr Orange'
    'Errr, it's got 1800 miles on the clock'
    'Well when we SAY new, we mean it might have been used for a week or two'
    'I ordered a NEW car'
    'Oh boo hoo.. it has to be YOUR way doesn't it'

Seriously - the Apple apologists in this thread are defying belief here.

Now - when I buy Apple, I usually buy referbed anyway. So the 24" Cinema display that should be waiting for me at home... if that has a fingerprint on it, a scratch on it... I don't care. It was $200 cheaper than list price.

What, exactly, is the extra $200 for a 'new' one for... if, as the OP has experience, you STILL get used goods?

17. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

It is against the law in almost every state to sell used or repackaged goods. And the company doing this can be fined!

If your not sure your computer new or used, I would call Apple and have them replace it. I would not have asked for a replacement keyboard, if, as you say the rep said it was in 'pristine condition' or otherwise. You bought new and should get new!

18. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I haven't read any replies but:

It's illegal to sell used goods as 'new'. Sue the f**kers lol ;)

Nah just give them a call and theyll sort you out.

Oh: and as soon as an item has left their warehouse, it is now 'used' and can no longer be sold as new.

19. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

This is the most logical explanation. The bottom of the box looks like it would be able to be opened and thus returned without the top seal ever being broken.

20. zsciaeount thread starter macrumors newbie

Couldn't have said it better myself. We're not talking about a $300 disposable desktop, we are talking about a $2500 premium machine. Perfection should be included in the purchase price.

21. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

Any new car you buy is not going to have 0 miles on it as they are all tested. A car is not considered "used" until it is registered. So technically a "new" car could have a couple thousand miles on it if it was used by the dealership staff without being registered.

22. zsciaeount thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not entitlement, it is reasonable expectation. Obviously, the keyboard works just fine, and is presumably not tainted just because it was used before. Utility is not the issue.

The issue is that they charged me a new price for a used item. That is unethical, and if done willfully and purposefully, is illegal.

As someone else here correctly pointed out, premium consumer good depreciate substantially the moment they are used... the instant the shrink wrap is broken, or the car is driven off the lot. This computer and its accessories are no different.

By selling me a used keyboard at a new price, Apple did 2 things:

1) they increased their profit margin by selling a product at a price point above its established and accepted value

and

2) they charged me for a new item from inventory while simply repurposing an exchange that they may or may not have been registered in their inventory as returned. This, if done on a large scale, is cooking the books, since it would look on their reports like they sold more products than they actually did.

So, boohoo? Whatever. Maybe $2500 USD is nothing to you, but it's a big investment for me. It is not unreasonable for me to expect to get my $2500's worth, and it's not unreasonable for me to expect them to be honest.

If you don't accept that, then maybe you'd like to buy some of my barely-used underwear, or maybe you'd be OK with your waiter giving you the fries a previous patron didn't eat instead of giving you fresh fries... both may actually be fine, but you wouldn't expect to pay full price for either.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, no, why would they give you a brand new keyboard when this would be treated as a replacement in any retail scenario?

You should have gotten a new keyboard the first time, but there is no reason why they would give you a brand new one as a replacement, and it certainly doesn't do what you said in the underlined.

24. zsciaeount thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but we understand that as part of the implicit contract when buying a new car. We know that they had to be driven onto the ship and the trucks, and we know that they will be test driven. This does not violate reasonable expectation for that transation. Plus, we also know is that the dealer will subtract depreciation due to that use from the purchase price of the vehicle.

Other consumer goods--including computers--do not have that expectation of prior use. When you buy silverware or a DVD or a refigerator, or a set of notecards, etc., you buy them new expecting them to have never before been used, and if they have, that they be marked as such, with a reduced price that reflects that prior use.

25. ninjaslim macrumors member

Get a hold of yourself...you're being too picky. Reconnect the keyboard and set it up as yours. If the keyboard is so big of an issue and has tainted the reputation of Apple in your eyes, then don't buy from them. It's as simple as that. Expectations of perfection distort reality and cause people to be rash and impractical. With every product, issues will pop up. Technologies, particularly mass-marketed and mass-produced technologies, will have the occasional problems. Products, particularly mass-marketed and mass-produced products from giant companies like Apple, will be off occasionally maybe due to manufacturing defects or packaging defects or what have you. The point is to live life and not let those little things become an obsession.