Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Sells One Millionth iPhone

macduke

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.

Apple announced today that it has sold its one millionth iPhone.
"One million iPhones in 74 days -- it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We can't wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season."
Last week, Apple announced a $200 price cut on the 8 GB iPhone and the elimination of the 4 GB model in order to further spur sales heading into the holiday season. Existing customers will be receiving a $100 Apple Store credit if they haven't already been reimbursed. Details will be given this week.

Article Link: Apple Sells One Millionth iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
CUPERTINO, California—September 10, 2007—Apple® today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone™ yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29. iPhone combines three devices into one—a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod®, and the best mobile Internet device ever—all based on Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface and pioneering software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers.

“One million iPhones in 74 days—it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We can’t wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season.”

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market this year with its revolutionary iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/09/10iphone.html

Comment

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Great news, although somewhat naively I expected this in the first weekend :eek:
The 2 years to sell a million iPods stat adds an interesting perspective though.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Great news, although somewhat naively I expected this in the first weekend :eek:
The 2 years to sell a million iPods stat adds an interesting perspective though.

hah, you mean that funny named 5gig, $400 behemoth with no touchwheel, only 6 lines of text display, no equalizer and no windows support (which is the majority of the population) surprises you that it took it so long to sell?

i would have thought it would reach this milestone earlier too, especially with all the hype and the established branding. guess that's why they dropped it to $399. wonder how many of those sales were in the last week?

Comment

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
hah, you mean that funny named 5gig, $400 behemoth with no touchwheel, only 6 lines of text display, no equalizer and no windows support (which is the majority of the population) surprises you that it took it so long to sell?
When you put it like that......... yeah, fair comment ;)

Comment

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Stock Holder

With 14 billion in cash and future sales the 100 million is a pimple on their ass. Also factor is the writedown for tax purposes and the fact that it is a store credit and not cash back, more favorable tax and accounting treatment for apple.

Net of net it is good for customers and will propel this even further.

I purchased at 27 and 38 many years ago and have never looked back. Post adjusted splits I am up of 1200% on my original investment.

Comment

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Put differently, that decision cost them essentially $100 million. As a shareholder, I'd be upset.

I don't think it's that simple. They won some goodwill back from die-hard customers. These are people who are likely to spend a lot of money on Apple products in the future.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Sells One Millionth iPhone

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple announced today that it has sold its one millionth iPhone.

"One million iPhones in 74 days -- it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We can't wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season."

Last week, Apple announced a $200 price cut on the 8 GB iPhone and the elimination of the 4 GB model in order to further spur sales heading into the holiday season. Existing customers will be receiving a $100 Apple Store credit if they haven't already been reimbursed. Details will be given this week.

Article Link

Comment

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Put differently, that decision cost them essentially $100 million. As a shareholder, I'd be upset.

With my credit, I'll be purchasing iWork '08. The CD and box will cost Apple about two dollars. Many others are likely to buy high-margin accessories like the Apple Bluetooth Headset. Your $100 million price tag is absurd.

Comment

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
I don't think it's that simple. They won some goodwill back from die-hard customers. These are people who are likely to spend a lot of money on Apple products in the future.

I will say that without the $100 I would not be contemplating a new iPod, so by doing that they will be getting me to spend some extra money for a classic this week.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But wait all the pundits said the iPhone was flop and that's why Apple had to lower the price...because it wasn't selling! Oops. Guess they was wrrrrrong.

Comment

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
As a stockholder, I'm happy ... that $100 credit will bring a ton of people back to the store. Actual cost of goods on that $100 credit is a drop in the bucket!
Most people will spend more than $100.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
APPLE!! listen up. now that you've sold your 1 millionth iphone, why not celebrate with a real software update?? come on! it will be a party.

...or at least fix safari crashes!! idk about you guys but safari has locked up my iphone twice in the past week so i had to reboot it, and crashed countless times, ipod or not. what's the deal lately?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.