Apple sending a wrong hard drive on my Macbook Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zapages, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Zapages macrumors newbie

This is weird: http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php. I just checked my Apple serial from print voice. It states that I will have
    Storage and Media
    Hard Drive: - 512 GB, Solid State
    Drive Bus: - Mini SATA (unconfirmed)
    Optical Drive: - None. (USB SuperDrive available)
    Optical Bus: - Not applicable
    Other Media: - -

but I paid for

PROCESSOR 065-C0MX 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    MEMORY 065-0474 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    FLASH STORAGE 065-0479 768GB Flash Storage

What should I do???? Its on its way, but still sitting in

Jul 30, 2012 10:00 PM
    At local FedEx facility
    SHANGHAI CN
    Jul 29, 2012 8:40 PM
    At local FedEx facility
    SHANGHAI CN

I thought Apple had great service? :\ This just took all the excitement out of me... Confused??? I can't wait longer as I will have school starting soon and need it for research! :eek::mad:

2. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Things like this can happen.

What you should do now is give the Apple Online Store a call first and tell them exactly what happened. They will most likely put you on a new order and tell you to return or refuse the one that's on your way.

Another possibility is that the model that is being shipped to you now is correct but the billing is wrong. But just give them a call first regardless.

3. filman408 macrumors regular

None issue

There is no issue here. This database is just using standard information about each system. On all Apple products, the last three digits of the serial number match to its model (KQ5) - even if it is a custom configured model.

I have the 768GB SSD in my rMBP as well, but this website shows it as 512GB. This site also says my system has the 2.6GHz processor, when in fact I upgraded it to the 2.7GHz. And I got what I ordered.

No need to panic based on a website which uses general information (and one that has no direct information from Apple).

4. wethackrey, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

wethackrey macrumors 6502

I don't think I'd panic quite yet. When I checked appleserialnumberinfo.com a couple of weeks back when my MBPr had just landed, the site didn't have enough information to provide a report on the June 2012 Macs. The site instead put up a form asking me to input my serial number and the specs.

The information on that site comes from end users, not from Apple. Apple's BTO manufacturing process and their fulfillment process are highly automated and tightly integrated. I think it would be difficult for them to ship a product with the wrong spec even if they wanted to. Want to place a wager? I'll bet you get exactly what you ordered.

5. Rajpdx macrumors regular

Look at your order confirmation from Apple.

That is what they are sending you. Guaranteed.

6. Romeo604 macrumors regular

Same as above reply posts. This site does not take into account your customization options. It only shows the Apple standard configurations. Your machine will arrive as customized no worries :)

For example, my Macbook Pro was upgraded to 1920x1200 resolution and this site only states I have the standard 1680x900 etc...

7. wethackrey macrumors 6502

By the way, the appleserialnumberinfo.com web site displays this when you submit information abot your Mac:

Despite my having entered the exact specs of my serial number two weeks ago, the site now lists by serial number as having a 512GB SSD, which is incorrect. It has the 768GB SSD that I ordered.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Because Apple's serial number format doesn't differentiate between 512GB and 768GB.

9. wethackrey macrumors 6502

I get that. You'd think the site would indicate that, rather than listing incorrect information.