Apple sending me out wrong macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by medw1974, Nov 30, 2007.

1. medw1974 macrumors newbie

I finally took the plunge and ordered this refurbished macbook:
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FB157

This is the new SR macbook, however according to my invoice they have sent me the earlier revision with the 2.16 processor and the Intel GMA950 graphics.

It's due to arrive today but all my excitement is in vain as I'm going to have to return it and wait probably another week while they swap it.

When it arrives I'll give them a call - maybe if they offer a discount I'll keep it, what do you think might be a reasonable amount to ask for?

Thanks.

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

What's in the Box

- Refurbished MacBook Pro
    - 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord
    - Lithium-polymer battery
    - Apple Remote
    - DVI to VGA adapter
    - Install/restore DVDs
    - Printed and electronic documentation

Lol. They are all over the place.

3. medw1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol - well spotted! I wouldn't be complaining if a Pro turned up. I should be so lucky.

4. Ralfy macrumors newbie

I ordered the same model yesterday. Received this morning and it is the 2.16 model. Rang Apple to arrange return and refund. Then ordered again from the Refurb site as it is still there, and the confirmation again showed a 2.16 model. Am on the phone to Apple as I type trying to sort out this mess. It seems there is a real problem with the Refurb site. I wonder how many people have been caught out?

5. Ralfy macrumors newbie

Mine stated the same specs and I received a 2.16 MacBook, so don't get too excited.

6. Ralfy macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone to Apple and they have confirmed that the listing on the Refurb site is incorrect. There are no 2.2 MacBooks available. It was a code reading error and the 2 models listed are in fact the older 2.16 models. They offered a £50 discount on the first order that I received which I turned down.

7. medw1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info Ralfy - mine hasn't arrived yet but it looks like it will be going straight back. I do notice though that they have not pulled the listing yet still advertising the 2.2 :mad:

8. Veri macrumors 6502a

Afaict buying refurbished comes with an implicit bargaining process where the buyer always wins. If anything more is supplied than Apple lists, you keep it - although ordering e.g. a Mini and getting a Pro is probably pushing it, the refurb product pages indicate that there may be extras. If you receive anything less than what's listed, you can make it clear what you're missing and negotiate for replacement, discount or refund.

In my case, I got a remote that wasn't usually supplied with that part (listed but not sent until I prodded them, perhaps because whoever had prepared the listing was thinking of a more expensive model), and a later version of iLife than was listed. it also came in a proper Apple box, from NL (2 days) rather than CN, and the SMART report of HDD power-on hours etc. plus impeccable cosmetics suggested it hadn't really been used at all.

The usual surprise extra seems to be more memory, though mine came with the amount advertised :rolleyes:.

9. medw1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it has arrived and is indeed the older 2.16 model but I have decided to keep it and have spoken to Apple who have refunded me £50.

I'm just installing leopard on it now and can't wait to start playing with it.

All in all £675.50 for the midrange macbook complete with 2 Gig of ram isnt too bad even if it is the older model.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

The 2.2 are better made then the 2.26 as I had both :)

11. Ralfy macrumors newbie

How did you manage to get it for £675.50 if you got a £50 discount off the refurb price of £749?

I am toying with the idea of keeping mine, but want to get the best price.

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Perhaps they used the "£23 off a £235 or more purchase" promo voucher. Can't see why they wouldn't.

13. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I hope you get that sorted out. The 2.2 model really is a lot better I mean it's got the whole new chipset.