Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's MobileMe service set to shut down at the end of this month as the company completes the transition to iCloud, users of the service are receiving 30-day warning emails reminding them of the impending shutdown.

mobileme_shutdown_30_move.jpg

Those MobileMe users who have yet to move their accounts to iCloud are receiving a message warning them that they need to take action in order for their email to continue functioning and offering instructions on the transition process. Apple is also reminding users that those whose systems don't meet the minimum requirements for the full iCloud service can still migrate their email and calendars to iCloud.

mobileme_shutdown_30_download.jpg

MobileMe users who have already converted to iCloud are receiving a slightly different message reminding them that MobileMe Gallery, iDisk, and iWeb hosting will all be discontinued with the final transition to iCloud. Those users should be sure to download any affected content they wish to keep before MobileMe is shut down.

Article Link: Apple Sending Out 30-Day Reminders for MobileMe Discontinuation

Jperkinski

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
I'm really hoping that there is a replacement for iDisk built into Mountain Lion.
I use iDisk daily and have been dreading June 30th for awhile now.

Has anybody heard anything or should I just give in and start using Dropbox?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I seriously don't see the point of iCloud. It offers next to nothing over MobileMe.. its a rebranding minus functionality.

The "iCloud" was crippled from Day One.. not nearly as flexible or useful as say DropBox etc.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
And next week at WWDC I predict we will see an upgraded iCloud with similar functionality to iDisk and Gallery :)

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I took action.
http://neomailbox.net

I paid for MobileMe for years and at least when it didn't work I had someone to complain to (but not much of an SLA).

I can never get iCloud mail to work with safari (freezes halfway through) and it doesn't sync with outlook half the time (mail.app works great though).

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Not only is the service expensive, but one also needs to take action annd try to understand the whole thing, and just to keep using email. Learned my lesson. Next time stick with Google or Yahoo. Save time and money.

Solowalker

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I don't see why they couldn't keep idisk and gallery as part of icloud. :mad:

And next week at WWDC I predict we will see an upgraded iCloud with similar functionality to iDisk and Gallery :)

Well, Gallery is already mostly covered with iPhoto for iOS's new Journals option. iLife is overdue for an update and I'm sure they will at least make features parity a priority between iOS and desktop, which would include sharing Journals from iPhoto on OSX. But I'm also pretty positive it won't have exactly the same features as Gallery did.

I, too, would also totally love an iCloud iDisk replacement. Still holding out hope, though current DP of Mountain Lion has only very few hints at it. It's possible Apple could throw extra features into one more DP released at WWDC for minimal testing before actual release, but the odds of that happening are unfortunately pretty slim.

But with all the iCloud APIs, it might be quite possible for someone else to write an iDisk replacement app sort of thing using iCloud storage. Shouldn't be that difficult for basic syncing functionality, though web access and sharing could be a problem.

rsbagga

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Podcast

The iDisk part is my only problem. Not because of the files so much (I already moved everything to dropbox) but rather because if the iWeb publishing (yes, some of us still use that ;)). I've had a podcast i've published using iWeb and iDisk for years. I guess I can still make it work by purchasing web hosting. But i'm a little worried if the URL changes for the podcast feed I won't be able to update it. Anyone know how to make sure there's no problems?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I'm really hoping that there is a replacement for iDisk built into Mountain Lion.
I use iDisk daily and have been dreading June 30th for awhile now.

Has anybody heard anything or should I just give in and start using Dropbox?

i got Box when they gave out free 50 GB of storage. I do hope they make some sort of replacement even if its like $25 a year. There was a rumor they are going to add a gallery type thing like the MobileMe gallery so its always a possibility.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Out of all the MobileMe features, I will miss iDisk the most :( Just as well Google Drive is available, otherwise I would have been screwed! (I don't like DropBox)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Well, not much difference I guess except the name and a few new features. I hope they get more bugs worked out, and reduce the outages.

I'll stick to dropbox and wireless backups of my phone until then!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'm still not 100% done getting all my files off. The iDisk is slow (even at this very quick office connection at work) and I find I'm getting some odd errors here or there. My iDisk is a bit over 20GB and I had a lot of files via my Gallery alone. I still need to copy my gallery and my 'movies' folder off.

iPhoto doesn't seem to want to download all the content unless you double-click each album and wait for it to go from "Pending" to "Complete". Apple doesn't make it clear if this information is continued in the background or not.

Also there is no easy way to view the 'galleries' folder within the iDisk. That way I could have manually downloaded all of the content ages ago...

Apple really should have released a simple tool or app to help out with this. I'm tempted to use the iDisk sync option, but last time I used that (in OS X 10.4) it erased my entire iDisk... :eek: :rolleyes: What a mess...

Update: apparently the 'Web' folder on the iDisk is now showing items from your galleries... Whew

Last edited:

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
The iDisk part is my only problem. Not because of the files so much (I already moved everything to dropbox) but rather because if the iWeb publishing (yes, some of us still use that ;)). I've had a podcast i've published using iWeb and iDisk for years. I guess I can still make it work by purchasing web hosting. But i'm a little worried if the URL changes for the podcast feed I won't be able to update it. Anyone know how to make sure there's no problems?

You wouldn't even need to get hosting you said you have dropbox can just put in dropbox public folder and then get public link and use that link for the podcast..

Yes you can update link for podcast

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
The only thing that bothers is me not being able to send a link to a client so they can have a direct download to projects we're working on.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
What does iCloud rule?

Syncing for the rest of us.

As much as I like Dropbox i'm kind of a low friction guy. I didn't spend $1500 on my computer so that "I" have to manage stuff. That's the computers job. iCloud allows me to forget about file structure and just create documents and data...the things I do better or at least more creatively than a computer.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Well I can't see the point of buying extra iCloud priced subscirptipon without those added features. Who needs 20GB of iCloud storage if we can't control the content going on it.

Though if they do announce a further tiered subscription - they will undoubtably annoy those who have already gone and paid for servers and such elsewhere because of the closure of MobileMe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.